Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Multitasking came in 4.0.1 I think

correct...the 4.1 actually speeded up IOS for the 3GS etc as users were complaining of the phone being very sluggish.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matsy1

guil wrote: »
    OP download sn0wbreeze and create a custom 4.1 and upgrade to that

Can anyone tell me (simplified) how to do this??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    correct...the 4.1 actually speeded up IOS for the 3GS etc as users were complaining of the phone being very sluggish.
    think that only affected the 3G, my 3GS was fine on 4.0.1
    forgot all about multitasking haha

matsy1 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me (simplified) how to do this??
    http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-iphone-3gs-new-bootrom-on-ios-4.1-with-sn0wbreeze-2.0-custom-firmware-guide/
    i'm not sure if the latest version of itunes messes with the jb so just use the link under the instructions for itunes 10

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Hey guys,
    I lost my Iphone 3gs and am going to Vodafone to get another one tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me will I still be able to jailbreak it or will the it be on a firmware that I can;t jailbreak.

Thanks in advance guys.

• Advertisement

Ya can jb all firmwares but if it's on the latest it will be a tethered jb

Thanks for the reply.

Can anyone tell me, when I get my new Iphone tomorrow and do a theatherd jailbreak on it from redsnow....and then sync it with my itunes...will it just put all my apps/music etc back into my new jail broken I phone even though it will be a different firmware??

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Sync it 1st, then jailbreak it. All your stuff will be on your new phone then

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Sync it 1st, then jailbreak it. All your stuff will be on your new phone then

Fair play for taking the time to answer, put my mind at ease.

Cheers Pal.

went back to 4.1 for the untethered jb..it was gettign to be a pain in the a55 to have it tethered when I rebooted it..
    got a bit worried for a while I was getting a error indicating a problem with the power to it but once I updated itunes it picked it back up again normally..whew :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Can anyone explain the situation with jailbreaking as I'm a little confused. I have a iPhone 4 on v4.0.2 firmware that is jailbroken and unlocked as the phone was originally on o2. I would like to update the firmware as I have bought a number of apps only to find out that they require v4.1 or v4.2.

I would like to keep all my apps/contacts/jailbroken apps etc but I also need to have the phone unlocked as I'm using it with a different carrier.

Is this possible? Whats the story with a tethered jailbrake and do I need to get a copy the firmware I want or will using the update function in itunes do.

I would also like to backup my current firmware, settings etc. so I can roll back if i need to is there a way of doing this I take it the backup function in itunes will only back up my settings, contacts etc. and not the jailbroken firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    went back to 4.1 for the untethered jb..it was gettign to be a pain in the a55 to have it tethered when I rebooted it..
    got a bit worried for a while I was getting a error indicating a problem with the power to it but once I updated itunes it picked it back up again normally..whew :D

Is that untethered jb for the iphone 3GS Sc@recrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

I have a iPhone 3G v4.1 5.14.02.
    It is was jailbroken, then I upgraded to 4.1 ( mistake ) and it locked and was then reset to O2.
    I only have Vodafone.
    Is there an unlock only available for this version ?
    I know there are a lot of jailbeaks available, but I don't want/need that.
    I just want to unlock the phone.
    Is this possible ?
    How can it be done?
    Or is it not yet available.

Cheers

Jay

Jay Dee wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a iPhone 3G v4.1 5.14.02.
    It is was jailbroken, then I upgraded to 4.1 ( mistake ) and it locked and was then reset to O2.
    I only have Vodafone.
    Is there an unlock only available for this version ?
    I know there are a lot of jailbeaks available, but I don't want/need that.
    I just want to unlock the phone.
    Is this possible ?
    How can it be done?

Cheers

Jay
    do a search, that question has being asked and answered hundreds of times

Hi,

I have done searches, and as I said I can find lots for jailbreaks but not for unlock only.
    That is what I am looking for / asking if it is available?.

If you can help on this, I would be happy to hear back.

Cheers

Jay

It's not possible to unlock without jailbreaking first
    Everything ya need to know is in the sticky at the top of the page. Just search the thread

Hi,

I know the jailbreak situation at the top.
    My query is :
    Mine was jailbroken, then I upgraded to 4.1 ( mistake ) and it locked and was then reset to O2.
    So is it still jailbroken ? or not.
    If it is still jailbroken , then I just want to unlock the phone.
    Is this possible ?
    How can it be done?

cheers

jay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

no its not still jailbroke you will have to jailbreak then unlock then sim then call friends job done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Your baseband cannot be unlocked, you might need to upgrade to the iPad baseband, which has some risks.

Is that untethered jb for the iphone 3GS Sc@recrow?

iphone 4...I had the ssh saved from the time I jailbroke it originally at 4.1 so I was able to downgrade..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ok with a baseband of 03.10.01 and ios of 4.2.1, is it possible to unlock, hoping to move onto tesco mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

ok with a baseband of 03.10.01 and ios of 4.2.1, is it possible to unlock, hoping to move onto tesco mobile

Can I ask where you find your Baseband details?

Hi,

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I am now more confused than before.

Massy086 " no its not still jailbroke you will have to jailbreak then unlock then sim then call friends job done!! "

Giblet " Your baseband cannot be unlocked, you might need to upgrade to the iPad baseband, which has some risks "

The replies seem to be at odds with each other.

Has anybody got a iPhone 3G v4.1 5.14.02.
    and got it unlocked?
    How did you do it ?

I would appreciate any comments/input.

Cheers

Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Please keep jailbreak questions to this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055508399

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

emc2 wrote: »
    Can I ask where you find your Baseband details?

setting-general-about- and near bottom modem firmware

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

Nope not possible at the moment. Unlock will come after the release of the Verizon iPhone in US and iOS 4.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

How about a baseband of 05.15.04 and version 4.2.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

emc2 wrote: »
    How about a baseband of 05.15.04 and version 4.2.1?
    As can be read on the first post, nope it's not unlockable and most likely never will be. Judging by the lack of iPhone 3G support in iOS 4.3 beta, Apple have stopped updating the 3G. You can install the iPad's baseband firmware on it and unlock it if you want but there are risks.

That said, the dev team are working on a baseband downgrader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

guys can an iphone 3gs on ios4,2,1 ms model be jailbroken and unlocked?

i have tried several times but its stuck in DFU MODE.

i have tried several wayss of restoring it but its to no avail.

Am i screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Tom Dunne wrote: »

Can I use my Vodafone/Meteor/Three/Other SIM in an iPhone purchased from a mobile carrier?

No. Not until you Jailbreak it and Unlock it, or have your carrier Unlock it.

It is important to note that some Irish carriers are now unlocking iPhones officially - please consult your carrier for more info.

Im sorry for being a retard and asking questions im sure have been asked a million times!

I got an iPhone off my sis, she used it as a bill pay with Vodafone... I want to use it as pay as you go Meteor.. I have done the jailbreak thing but dunno how to unlock it. Is it possible to get what i want working?

When i put in my sim it says "Sim locked" then gives me the option to say ok or to unlock... I click unlock but i dont get any reception with it! Any help would be sound!! Cheers

Advertisement