Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭karbonkoncepts

lads looking for someone in the waterford area to jailbreak iphone and ipad for me, been trying since yesterday but cannot get any of the two to connect, its def my laptop, connects fine to itunes...... someone please help me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

iOS 4.2.1 is jailbreakable. I'd imagine the odds of the Devteam unlocking firmware they don't even have is highly unlikely.... Even for them! :rolleyes:

Also, I'd imagine when they do ship, they'll have 4.3 on them (although I believe this is jailbroken already).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

If they don't ship with 4.3, just update it and jailbreak. I think there's only a tethered jailbreak available right now, although I'll admit to not having looked into it very much at the moment so could be wrong.

I'll be hoping it's possible to do this when I get mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

lads looking for someone in the waterford area to jailbreak iphone and ipad for me, been trying since yesterday but cannot get any of the two to connect, its def my laptop, connects fine to itunes...... someone please help me

It's very easy to do,whats the exact problem is it the laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

I done it in 5 minutes but I knew a little bit about it.
    I got my friend who knows nothing about technology in under 10minutes
    Tell us your firmware and which iphone you have and ill find a guide for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I currently have an iPhone 4 on 4.1 with 02.10.04 baseband. Can i update to 4.2.1 and keep my current baseband or will the baseband update too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭karbonkoncepts

Thanks for all thevreplies and advise, got it sorted it was a problem with itunes and the USB device connectivity...donevboth of em in 10 mins....happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Musclenerd has just tweeter iPhone 4 can't be unlocked. I am ****ed.

On 4.3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

He never "tweeter" 'd anything like that. He just said it's taking longer than he thought

http://twitter.com/#!/MuscleNerd/status/45598114446454784
    and
    http://twitter.com/#!/MuscleNerd/status/45599568708112384

• Advertisement

I hope you're right. If not my iPhone will be jumping off a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

slinky2000 wrote: »
    He never "tweeter" 'd anything like that. He just said it's taking longer than he thought

http://twitter.com/#!/MuscleNerd/status/45598114446454784
    and
    http://twitter.com/#!/MuscleNerd/status/45599568708112384

They are fairly full of sh!t though. I know they are smart guys but they shouldnt be saying the iPhone 4 unlock will be out straight after the 4.3 release. Its completely misleading. Sherif Hashim has tweeted many times before christmas saying that the unlock would be out before 4.2 was released. I have been relying on their tweets that the unlock would be released really soon but once again they have let the unlockers down.
    I am kicking myself for buying an iphone locked to 3 thinking it would be unlocked. I was offered 570 for it in December. Now id struggle to get 500 for it. Its a 32gb btw.

I doubt the unlock will be out ever tbh. All the exploits SHerif Hashim discovered back in October have just been said to be completely useless. They will have to find more exploits and then find some way to make them into an unlock.

Hogzy wrote: »
    They are fairly full of sh!t though. I know they are smart guys but they shouldnt be saying the iPhone 4 unlock will be out straight after the 4.3 release. Its completely misleading. Sherif Hashim has tweeted many times before christmas saying that the unlock would be out before 4.2 was released. I have been relying on their tweets that the unlock would be released really soon but once again they have unlockers down.
    I am kicking myself for buying an iphone locked to 3 thinking it would be unlocked. I was offered 570 for it in December. Now id struggle to get 500 for it. Its a 32gb btw.

I doubt the unlock will be out ever tbh. All the exploits SHerif Hashim discovered back in October have just been said to be completely useless. They will have to find more exploits and then find some way to make them into an unlock.
    I'm sick of using a a keypad phone. my fingers are gone at this stage.

Can they not just release an unlock for ios4.2.1.

those who updated firmware were told not to do so if they needed an unlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

i am confused. are you talking about unlocking or jailbreaking the iphone 4?

i think there isn't a jailbreak for the new ios yet (tho i may be wrong). but you can unlock iphone 4. i just got mine unlocked. it took a day from contacting o2 to having it unlocked

hdowney wrote: »
    i think there isn't a jailbreak for the new ios yet (tho i may be wrong)

you cant, yet
    MuscleNerd's tweet on iOS 4.3 Jailbreak:
    the 4.3 untether JB could come from many sources.. @i0n1c, the pwn2own contestants, @comex are 3 possible (maybe more?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

I hope you're right. If not my iPhone will be jumping off a bridge.
    hate to say it but told ya there would be a ''delay''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

ye +1 on o2 sent in request and 10 days later sim free happy days :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

guil wrote: »
    hate to say it but told ya there would be a ''delay''

Yep, there always is.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

I just successfully downgraded a 4.3 3Gs to 4.2.1 with custom firmware then jailbroke with greeposi0n

:)

i seriously advice anyone waiting on the unlock to sell theirs. mine's from the states so i'm screwed.
    I'll be selling it on ebay asap.

There will be a time whereby there won't be any unlocks for iphone anymore, only jailbreaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

i seriously advice anyone waiting on the unlock to sell theirs. mine's from the states so i'm screwed.
    I'll be selling it on ebay asap.

There will be a time whereby there won't be any unlocks for iphone anymore, only jailbreaks.
    and the second you sell it a unlock will come out lol:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi lads,

Tried google-ing but couldn't get a definite answer.

I have a 4 on 4.0.2 - jailbroken and unlocked.

If I upgrade to 4.2.1 is it possible to jailbreak and unlock.

If so, what's the best way to go about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Tried google-ing but couldn't get a definite answer.

I have a 4 on 4.0.2 - jailbroken and unlocked.

If I upgrade to 4.2.1 is it possible to jailbreak and unlock.

If so, what's the best way to go about it?

Yes.

You'll have to use TinyUmbrella during the update to keep the 01.59 baseband. You can then jailbreak with greenposi0n and unlock via Cydia.

TinyUmbrella - http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=13795

Greenposi0n - http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12159

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

I just tried to save the shsh using TinyUmbrella and I get an error to say I am too late to save shsh and cannot save them.

Looks like this means I can't preserve the baseband?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

jamieh wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

I just tried to save the shsh using TinyUmbrella and I get an error to say I am too late to save shsh and cannot save them.

Looks like this means I can't preserve the baseband?
    no its too late to save them now, ya can only save them as long as apple are signing the firmware

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Hi all

I stupidly upgraded a 3GS i got off eBay to 4.3 at the weekend,I do have the 4.3 shsh's saved from TinyUmbrella...but am I screwed in essence in regrards to jailbreaking? :(

Hi all

I stupidly upgraded a 3GS i got off eBay to 4.3 at the weekend,I do have the 4.3 shsh's saved from TinyUmbrella...but am I screwed in essence in regrards to jailbreaking? :(

There's a jailbreak but it's tethered. You'll be using snowbreeze.

There's a jailbreak but it's tethered. You'll be using snowbreeze.

Cheers freeze4real,is it just a case of downloading snowbreeze and letting it do its thing? sorry am a bit lax when it comes to jailbreaking!:(

Thanks to freeze4real, I was able to put 4.3 custom firmware on,have Cydia and most of the stuff but no unlock. Is there a way to get an unlock or should I play the waiting game for a new release to come out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

have an iphone 3gs running 4.2.1 base band 05.15.04 looking to jailbreak and unlock it! anybody know how to do it?

Advertisement