Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭breeno

Thanks for the help guys. Very helpful, much appreciated. Have decided to go for the iPhone 4 so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

Hogzy wrote: »
    The only way to unlock that baseband at the moment is through the networks. The Gevey Sim doesnt unlock it and i doubt any of the unlocks in development will unlock it either.
    thanks gettin it done by o2 in next few days at least!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

Lads, do any of you know how to unlock a 3GS, 4.3 firmware 05.16.01. is it even possible. Thanks

Having the same issue myself. Hoping an unlock is released soon. Gotta play the waiting game I guess.

Hey guys, been looking aroung the old interweb about this.

It seems if you are on 05.16.01 baseband you can upgrade to iPad baseband (06.15.00) using Ultrasn0w. But to do this you have to be on iOS 4.2.1 or iOS 4.1. I'm on iOS 4.3 and the only way to downgrade is using an SHSH file for either 4.2.1 or 4.1.

My question is: Is there anywhere you can download an SHSH file off the net as I don't have my one saved? :confused:

(NOTE: If you upgrade to iPad baseband you will lose your GPS apparently!!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I'm not sure but I think you have to backup your own Shsh. I backed up mine for my old phone but have since replaced it was the same model after getting it fixed. Done too much ****ed around with the jailbreak, so had to go back to scratch...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i have an android phone (shhh) and i have it rooted and love it but although im technically savvy i found it hard to grasp how to even root it and that. it was only due to a complete step by step guide online that i was able to do it. how does this process compare to jailbreaking an ipad? and will i be able to view these official videos straight away or do i need to get an app first?
    i hear theres a jailbreak for 4.3 coming soon so will i just wait for that before doing anything?
    will i be able to download music and videos directly onto my ipad then too?
    how long does this take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

For 4.2.1 it was simply. Download greenpoison, run it, do a few on screen instructions to get it into DFU mode, and a minute or so later it was jailbroken.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

4.3 unlock is taking its sweet time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

For 4.2.1 it was simply. Download greenpoison, run it, do a few on screen instructions to get it into DFU mode, and a minute or so later it was jailbroken.

Folks im an Android user and have been given a 3GS by a mate who is trying to shut me up. I tried to jailbreak it earlier but to no avail. What i did was
    Downloaded Greenpoison RC 6 and followed instructions, my version is 4.2.1 (8C148a), Firmware 05.15.04

it came up as failed and i re-tried but no joy. Any ideas as to what could be up with that? Or any solutions offered i would really appreciate it. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Missy86

Ok so this is my first time to attempt this and my head is fried!!! I have an iphone 3g, and it was on the 4.2.1 firmware so i followed the steps from iclarified at the start of the forum and I am as far as trying to enter dfu mode but it will not work...it keeps saying i have the steps wrong and redsnow won't recognise my iphone and it tells me to look up google or youtube for instructions...did that too and it still is not working. What am I doing wrong? When I try to just connect my iphone to itunes it tells me there is an error and it can't recognise it- is this the problem???:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Missy86

I got my iphone through the dfu by fluke I just kept trying it and it worked but now I have another problem - I can't get it to unlock for me. I have launched cydia and need to add Ultrasn0w to the source but its saying "Did not find Repositry" what does this mean???

• Advertisement

Trevor O wrote: »

Hey guys, been looking aroung the old interweb about this.

It seems if you are on 05.16.01 baseband you can upgrade to iPad baseband (06.15.00) using Ultrasn0w. But to do this you have to be on iOS 4.2.1 or iOS 4.1. I'm on iOS 4.3 and the only way to downgrade is using an SHSH file for either 4.2.1 or 4.1.

My question is: Is there anywhere you can download an SHSH file off the net as I don't have my one saved? :confused:

(NOTE: If you upgrade to iPad baseband you will lose your GPS apparently!!!!!)

Guys, found a way to do this without SHSH blob. Check this out:

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f456/sucessfully-downgraded-iphone-3gs-1232140/

This works, I did it to my phone and now it's working!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

have ya got an old bootrom 3GS cos its not possible to downgrade a new bootrom 3GS without SHSH blobs saved

No. I'm on new boot rom. I was on 4.3 and downgraded to 4.1. I didn't think it was possible either but it works. The restore gives you an error at the end but then you use Tiny Umbrella to exit recovery mode and Redsn0w to jailbreak. Official firmware was still being signed as of yesterday cause that's when I did mine. Follow the steps in the link I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Hi i got a iphone 3g yesterday Factory unlocked running 4.0.2.Any idea of how i could jailbreak it ?i tried jailbreakme but no luck.

No. I'm on new boot rom. I was on 4.3 and downgraded to 4.1. I didn't think it was possible either but it works. The restore gives you an error at the end but then you use Tiny Umbrella to exit recovery mode and Redsn0w to jailbreak. Official firmware was still being signed as of yesterday cause that's when I did mine. Follow the steps in the link I posted.
    are ya sure ya never used cydia to save the SHSH, 4.1 was stopped being signed a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Is the gevey sim worth buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Is the gevey sim worth buying?

It depends on how much you value an unlock. They have been declared Illegal in the US. If you are going to buy i would do it ASAP because i can really see Paypal shutting down the "Gevey People's" account if they are breaching laws in various countries.

guil wrote: »
    are ya sure ya never used cydia to save the SHSH, 4.1 was stopped being signed a few months ago

No, I only bought the phone last week on eBay. Unless the guy that had it before me did?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Hogzy wrote: »
    It depends on how much you value an unlock. They have been declared Illegal in the US. If you are going to buy i would do it ASAP because i can really see Paypal shutting down the "Gevey People's" account if they are breaching laws in various countries.

I'll try to get one asap. I don't think ultrasn0w unlock will comeout as soon as we think.

No, I only bought the phone last week on eBay. Unless the guy that had it before me did?
    if ya want to check, download tiny umbrella
    connect the iphone and run the program and click save my shsh, it will tell ya if it has backups on cydia's server

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

guys,

another friend just got an iPhone 4 16gb locked to 3.
    running Firmware 4.0.2 (8A400).

whats the best option to unlock?

thanks.

if ya want to check, download tiny umbrella
    connect the iphone and run the program and click save my shsh, it will tell ya if it has backups on cydia's server

If there is one it's not showing it anyway.
    kceire wrote: »
    guys,

thanks.

I found Redsn0w pretty good.

kceire wrote: »
    guys,

thanks.
    greenpois0n or limera1n will jb and then ultrasnow will unlock it, just make sure it wasnt downgraded from 4.1 or above, if the baseband is anything other than 01.59.00 ya cant unlock it

greenpois0n or limera1n will jb and then ultrasnow will unlock it, just make sure it wasnt downgraded from 4.1 or above, if the baseband is anything other than 01.59.00 ya cant unlock it

Not 100% accurate. If you have a baseband which can't be unlocked you can upgrade to iPad baseband. (06.15.00). This is unlockable using Ultrasn0w. That's what I did. BUT this apparently takes away your GPS function on the iPhone. I don't use the GPS anyway so it doesn't bother me. And as far as I know, you can't downgrade the baseband version at all.

it is 100% accurate the iphone 4 cant be upgraded to the ipad baseband and no ya cant downgrade the baseband but say ya had 4.1 on an iphone 4, the bb would be 02.10.04
    ya could downgrade the firmware to 4.0.2 but the bb will stay the same therefore making it unlockable

it is 100% accurate the iphone 4 cant be upgraded to the ipad baseband and no ya cant downgrade the baseband but say ya had 4.1 on an iphone 4, the bb would be 02.10.04
    ya could downgrade the firmware to 4.0.2 but the bb will stay the same therefore making it unlockable

Ah ok, my bad. :)

its easy to get mixed up, i've done it more than enough times myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

has any1 on 06.15.00 on 3gs with gps problem as my tomtom wont work...anyway around this i wonder

has any1 on 06.15.00 on 3gs with gps problem as my tomtom wont work...anyway around this i wonder
    not at the moment, it was clearly stated that GPS probably wouldnt work if ya used the ipad baseband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I have a problem,I bought an iphone it ended up being blacklisted,it was ok as I was goign to another country and was going to use it there,it looks like I might not be going now.I tried the iphone with a 3 sim and the sms messages work but I cant recive or make any calls.I have upgraded to 4.2.1 and on the ipad bsaeband.Should it work with the 3 sim?

Advertisement