Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Missy86

I definitely didnt spell it wrong i did it loads of times but i'll try it again tomorrow. I have to go to a mcdonalds that has free wifi near me to do it..that wouldnt have any thing to do with it would it? I know its a long shot but i just dont see any reason why it won't work for me, I'm doing everything right as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

I have a iphone4 from the USA. No contract from apple but locked to AT&T. Anyone used the rebel micro sim to activate the baseband yet? I'm on iOS 4.1 and baseband 2.01.04. Running out of
    Patience waiting for iPhone dev unlock as no news in over a month.

Anybody used to unlock for vodafone here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Hey guys, getting error 3194 when trying to jailbreak iphone 4, 4.3.1 using snowbreeze. Never used snowbreeze in the past only greenpois0n but i 0Followed the tutorial and everthing went well. Except im now getting an error when trying to restore custom firmware within itunes. The error recieved is 3194 an unknown error occured (get it when it tries to contact apple to check the firmware).

So do i need to update to 4.3.2 before jailbreaking (can it be jailbroken?) or perhaps edit the host file in order to redirect itunes for it to jailbreak.

Apologies if this has been answered previously but i cant find any information on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

HEY ALL

is there an unlock out yet for the
    iphone 4
    ver 4.2.1
    BB 03.10.01

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

hey guys, need some guidance here since i really have no idea about this jailbreak business at all. many thanks.

i have got 2 iphone 3gs with me (from Finland):
    1.i can turn it on and play around with its functions but when i try to call it says 'Call Failed'.
    version:4.3.1
    band: 05.16.02
    edited:Possible solution:
    this problem is caused by vodafone sim so either dont use vodafone sim(i dont have other sim with me atm), or,from my research online:
    1. Restore iphone using the 3.0 ipsw with iTunes
    2. Install Cydia and Icy
    3. Add repo (repo666.ultrasn0w.com) to Cydia
    4. Search repo to cydia and run. wait phone it will restart
    5. Done!

2.i have the serial number/IMEI of it(they are on the simcard slot).this phone is locked on 'Slide for emergency'.
    edited:Solution:solved it by snowbreeze JB.

can anyone tell me what to do?

edited:apparently 3hrs of internet research made me a little pro on JB :pac: so i might as well post my solution here.

basically this post is not longer needed but just in case people may use it one day:)

summary of what i did:
    1.get 4.3.2 ispw and snowbreeze 2.6.1 ->make custom ispw
    2.load itune to restore it(shift-restore) with that custom ispw
    if you get error 1600 go dl IREB
    3.get ultrasnow via Cydia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Planning to jailbreak a friends iphone 4 this evening but just noticed ios 4.3.3 is out. His iphone is at 4.3 at the moment. My original plan was to update to 4.3.2 and jailbreak that.

Can anyone tell me how I go about jailbreaking an iphone 4 with 4.3 firmware?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bombay1982

allybhoy wrote: »
    Hey guys, getting error 3194 when trying to jailbreak iphone 4, 4.3.1 using snowbreeze. Never used snowbreeze in the past only greenpois0n but i 0Followed the tutorial and everthing went well. Except im now getting an error when trying to restore custom firmware within itunes. The error recieved is 3194 an unknown error occured (get it when it tries to contact apple to check the firmware).

So do i need to update to 4.3.2 before jailbreaking (can it be jailbroken?) or perhaps edit the host file in order to redirect itunes for it to jailbreak.

Apologies if this has been answered previously but i cant find any information on it.

Don't be afraid to update it to 4.3.2 Backup everything for safety. I jailbreaked 4.3.2 without any problems. It took me about an hour on my 3gs

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭rokossovsky

Where is the cheapest country to buy sim free iPhone. I heard Australia? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Planning to jailbreak a friends iphone 4 this evening but just noticed ios 4.3.3 is out. His iphone is at 4.3 at the moment. My original plan was to update to 4.3.2 and jailbreak that.

Can anyone tell me how I go about jailbreaking an iphone 4 with 4.3 firmware?

cheers

Theres no confirmed jailbreak for 4.3.3 yet What I would do is upgrade to 4.3.2 and stay on the 4.3.3 has no new features that will make a real difference to you.

Stay tuned to, http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ for more info

Where is the cheapest country to buy sim free iPhone. I heard Australia? Anyone know?

Theres not going to be much difference to make it worth the effort. Then don't forget you may have to pay customs, I did (original iPhone from US) and it cost me about €70 at the time plus then shipping which wasn't cheap either(UPS).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Doylers wrote: »
    Theres not going to be much difference to make it worth the effort. Then don't forget you may have to pay customs, I did (original iPhone from US) and it cost me about €70 at the time plus then shipping which wasn't cheap either(UPS).

Nonsense absolute nonsense I never buy iPhones from Ireland. I've bought 4 iPhones and never did I pay customs.

With the euro exchange rate strong you can buy an iPhone 4 unlcoked brand new for €380 from eBay. That's what I'll be doing as soon as I selll my iPhone 4.

Always shipping with USPS priority mail international.

Nonsense absolute nonsense I never buy iPhones from Ireland. I've bought 4 iPhones and never did I pay customs.

With the euro exchange rate strong you can buy an iPhone 4 unlcoked brand new for €380 from eBay. That's what I'll be doing as soon as I selll my iPhone 4.

Always shipping with USPS priority mail international.

Someone's on the defensive, chill. I was just telling my experience and how it worked out more expensive in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

WHHHHAAAAAAHHEEEEEEEYYY........ post man just called with a new Iphone4.

My question is this, have a jailboroke 3gs that I use with my itunes on my PC.

Do I just go ahead and connect the new unjailbroken iphone 4 to Itunes??Will it restore all the erm..... paid for...yeah paid for apps:pac:

I'm sitting here on the ready boys, any help appreciated!!!

smokie2008 wrote: »
    WHHHHAAAAAAHHEEEEEEEYYY........ post man just called with a new Iphone4.

My question is this, have a jailboroke 3gs that I use with my itunes on my PC.

Do I just go ahead and connect the new unjailbroken iphone 4 to Itunes??Will it restore all the erm..... paid for...yeah paid for apps:pac:

I'm sitting here on the ready boys, any help appreciated!!!

Hope your still not sitting there its half 11 lol It will sync everything bar apps that you may not have paid for but I assume you pay for eveything s;)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

As it happens I've been googling since and too afraid to loose all my stuff ha, or brick the brand new phone.

Just done what you said, thanks for that.

Love this thread!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭inkogneetoe

Wondering if I jailbreak and unlock my 3G and then get an unlock code in the future. Can I restore the phone and do the official unlock without issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

Hi,

can someone help me sort out the world of confusion that I'm facing. I've a new IPhone 4 which I need to (untethered) Unlock (jailbreaking not essential but if it's required then so be it)

ios 4.2.1
    baseband 02.10.04

I've read plenty of guides for UltraSnow, limeRain, redsnow etc but none of them deal directly with this set up or they mention tethering being required because the tutorials are old.

Can anyone point me to an unlocking guide for that version of the Iphone 4?

Thanks.

Wondering if I jailbreak and unlock my 3G and then get an unlock code in the future. Can I restore the phone and do the official unlock without issues?

yes you can no issues there at all

chabsey wrote: »
    Hi,

can someone help me sort out the world of confusion that I'm facing. I've a new IPhone 4 which I need to (untethered) Unlock (jailbreaking not essential but if it's required then so be it)

ios 4.2.1
    baseband 02.10.04

I've read plenty of guides for UltraSnow, limeRain, redsnow etc but none of them deal directly with this set up or they mention tethering being required because the tutorials are old.

Can anyone point me to an unlocking guide for that version of the Iphone 4?

Thanks.

Tethered and untethered deal with jailbreaking. But you need to jailbreak to do the unlock. At the moment you can jailbreak without it being tethered so you good to go there. Dont have an iph4 so dont no about the unlock myself.

See: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/
    http://www.iclarified.com/tutorials/iphone/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Hi All,

I havent had an Iphone in ages and just picked up my new one this morning. I dont need to unlock it, just want it jailbroken. Current version is 4.3 (8F190). I think I need to go get Redsn0w and work away, my question is - Do I allow Itunes to update the version to 4.3.3 (as it prompts me each time I connect to the PC) or do I download 4.3.3 from a different source (File name is iPhone3,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw)?

• Advertisement

Hi All,

I havent had an Iphone in ages and just picked up my new one this morning. I dont need to unlock it, just want it jailbroken. Current version is 4.3 (8F190). I think I need to go get Redsn0w and work away, my question is - Do I allow Itunes to update the version to 4.3.3 (as it prompts me each time I connect to the PC) or do I download 4.3.3 from a different source (File name is iPhone3,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw)?

You can always click download only :D .To answer you question. Go ahead an update via itunes and jailbreak with redsn0w.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Great, thanks! I wasnt sure if they were different versions of 4.3.3, so will go ahead and update then jailbreak

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

thanks for the great op. now i've my 3gs finally jailbroken, whats next? I cant't figure out this cydia craic

• Registered Users Posts: 31 shanesheridan

I'm having big problems with my new iphone. I can't make or receive calls on the phone (but everything else is fine). I've tried turning on show my caller ID, and turning off automatic time and date (as stated on numerous forums).

Alas still not working.

I'm new to this jailbreaking malarky. The phone was unlocked and jailbroken when i got it, but I updated the software on iTunes and now assume its no longer jailbroken. (i don't really care eitherway). However I've been advised that I need to do some thing with cydia to alter the caller ID thing which will fingers crossed solve the problem.

I now have a 4.3 iPhone (previously jailbroken?) and 10.2.2 iTunes.

I see the tutorials online on how to jailbreak (http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-4.3-iphone-4-gm-with-pwnagetool-bundle-how-to-guide/)

but it says something about "The jailbreak though is tethered only for now, which means that you will have to boot it into jailbroken state every time you reboot." What does this mean?

Also can anyone help me out on this problem?????:confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'm having big problems with my new iphone. I can't make or receive calls on the phone (but everything else is fine). I've tried turning on show my caller ID, and turning off automatic time and date (as stated on numerous forums).

Alas still not working.

I'm new to this jailbreaking malarky. The phone was unlocked and jailbroken when i got it, but I updated the software on iTunes and now assume its no longer jailbroken. (i don't really care eitherway). However I've been advised that I need to do some thing with cydia to alter the caller ID thing which will fingers crossed solve the problem.

I now have a 4.3 iPhone (previously jailbroken?) and 10.2.2 iTunes.

I see the tutorials online on how to jailbreak (http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-4.3-iphone-4-gm-with-pwnagetool-bundle-how-to-guide/)

but it says something about "The jailbreak though is tethered only for now, which means that you will have to boot it into jailbroken state every time you reboot." What does this mean?

Also can anyone help me out on this problem?????:confused:

If you've updated and lost jailbreak, you've lost the unlock as well. Are you sure your carrier is the same as the one that was on the phone in the beginning? i.e. if it was originally O2 are you trying a VF/Metoer/Three sim? if so, it won't work
    tethered jailbreak means exactly as they said: If you reboot the phone, or let the battery run down completely, you will have to jailbreak again.

whiterebel wrote: »
    If you've updated and lost jailbreak, you've lost the unlock as well. Are you sure your carrier is the same as the one that was on the phone in the beginning? i.e. if it was originally O2 are you trying a VF/Metoer/Three sim? if so, it won't work
    tethered jailbreak means exactly as they said: If you reboot the phone, or let the battery run down completely, you will have to jailbreak again.

Your fast to the post :D But agree with you info. Basically @shanesheridan you sir have had it :( You will have to jailbreak again, now this will be untethered bacause you will use redsn0w, sn0wbreeze is no use to you because you have updated your baseband(cant be undone). So jailbreak it now and stay tuned to http://blog.iphone-dev.org/. This is where you will see the unlock information you need when it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Swish87

My girlfriend just bought me an iphone 4, and she got one of her friends to jailbreak and unlock it. So what I did today is I went and got the micro sim for it for meteor. But since putting it in the phone, I have no service coverage. Any idea what i'm to do to fix it??

Swish87 wrote: »
    My girlfriend just bought me an iphone 4, and she got one of her friends to jailbreak and unlock it. So what I did today is I went and got the micro sim for it for meteor. But since putting it in the phone, I have no service coverage. Any idea what i'm to do to fix it??

Does it work with the sim card that came with it originally?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Swish87

Doylers wrote: »
    Does it work with the sim card that came with it originally?

no sim came with it. It was sim-free bought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 shanesheridan

@Doyles

you seem to know of my problem but I can't really make sense of your advice (sorry this is all very new to me)

The phone was orginally on vodafone. It was unlocked and jailbroken for use for any sim card. Previous owner had it on 02. I put in my vodafone sim. All was good. I then updated my phone and then the issues started.

So I have to re-jailbreak the phone. According to http://blog.iphone-dev.org/. it has the newest jailbreaking software working??

Please speak to me as an idiot who knows nothing about this.:D

Advertisement