Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 shanesheridan

also how long does all this take? could I get the problem solved tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Swish87 wrote: »
    no sim came with it. It was sim-free bought!

By sim-free do you mean that it just had no sim as you said? Or do you mean sim-free as in unlocked? To be honest Im not sure if its really unlocked if you have no coverage. I would suggest getting a sim from the likes of O2(who fully support the phone) and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Swish87

as far as i know, its 3g sim free. and she got it unlocked. No sim came with it, bought that way like. I have no intention of going to 02 as im on bill meteor.So would need to be to this network!

@Doyles

you seem to know of my problem but I can't really make sense of your advice (sorry this is all very new to me)

The phone was orginally on vodafone. It was unlocked and jailbroken for use for any sim card. Previous owner had it on 02. I put in my vodafone sim. All was good. I then updated my phone and then the issues started.

So I have to re-jailbreak the phone. According to http://blog.iphone-dev.org/. it has the newest jailbreaking software working??

Please speak to me as an idiot who knows nothing about this.:D

No problem Im heading off after this post so Ill post it all for you from what I think is the problem.

You bought the phone jailbroken and unlocked. So you were fine there.

When you updated the phone you updated the software and baseband(the baseband deals with the sim card and allowing calls and stuff)

So the issue you have now is, that the current baseband you are on has no unlock yet.

So all you can do is jailbreak and wait. Nothing else you can do at all, unless you know what carrier the phone was on when bought and you are with them now, because they might unlock it for you.

Example to that would be, i buy an iphone from O2, spend €150ish on credit with them, they will unlock it free and permanently for me.

No it wont be fixed tonight, might not be for a month might not be for a year. Have no idea in the slightest. All depends if and when they drop an unlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 shanesheridan

shhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt
    might not be for a month might not be for a year

it was orginally on vodafone and im on vodafone now, so I'll try go into them tomorrow to see if they'll sort it.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

were was the phone bought from????

massy086 wrote: »
    were was the phone bought from????

If that reply is to me, then she bought it off some girl from gumtree!

:eek::eek::eek: it sound like it could be blocked

Well i can still use the iphone, I just cant make calls or send messages or anything. Basically just as a hand held computer. Dont know if this helps or not. I have downloaded apps and all on it!

even if it was blocked you would still be able to do all that send me a pm and i can im u if it helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

are you intrested in selling it?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭ADO

hey folks,

really bad at this so bare with me and if u can reply please do so as if ur speaking to someone that has never used an iphone before :P

anyway i have an iphone4 and just yesterday i finally managed to update it, (havent done so since i bought it - sept 2010). its now running on version 4.3.3 (8J2) but i have lost cydia and installious :( all the apps that i have downloaded trough installious now no longer work :(

anyone got any solutions or help? will i have to jailbreak it again? if so how do i do it and where do i go?

Hey, have a few updates on my problem. As i have said before, it is an iphone 4, not used before. Its run on 4.3.3 my girlfriends friend jailbroke it using Sn0wbreese and redsn0w, and unlocked it using Ultrasn0w. Im trying to use my meteor sim card on it. And still no service. He says because it upgraded it needs to be unlocked again, but that he is waiting for a new way to unlock it. Any help on the matter would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Hi guys I have a 32GB iPhone 4 and I am wondering if i jailbreak my phone can i still sync with iTunes ?

Also what can i do with my iphone after it was been jailbreaked ?

Also if i do jailbreak it how do i do it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I just (tried to)unlock an iphone 3gs with cydia&fuzzybrain, following the instructions on iClarified, i've now been looking at the wheel of death loady yoke for what feels like about half an hour now...

do i need to restart it or should i leave it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

Hi, sorry to annoy you but the thread is huge and I don't want to go through the whole lot to find I didn't have to.

A friend has asked me to jailbreak and unlock his iPhone 3GS 4.2.1 Baseband 05.15.04 Week 42

If will be using a mac to do it if it's possible.

So my question is, can it be done? Many thanks in advance.

Swish87 wrote: »
    Hey, have a few updates on my problem. As i have said before, it is an iphone 4, not used before. Its run on 4.3.3 my girlfriends friend jailbroke it using Sn0wbreese and redsn0w, and unlocked it using Ultrasn0w. Im trying to use my meteor sim card on it. And still no service. He says because it upgraded it needs to be unlocked again, but that he is waiting for a new way to unlock it. Any help on the matter would be great.

Ultrasn0w doesnt work on 4.3.3. So there is nothing anyone can do for you until the unlock is created. Look at my post too @shanesheridan your in the same position

gartcork wrote: »
    Hi, sorry to annoy you but the thread is huge and I don't want to go through the whole lot to find I didn't have to.

A friend has asked me to jailbreak and unlock his iPhone 3GS 4.2.1 Baseband 05.15.04 Week 42

If will be using a mac to do it if it's possible.

So my question is, can it be done? Many thanks in advance.

No offence but why are you doing it if your not sure? Use the jailbreak AND unlock wizard on this site to see.

http://www.iclarified.com/tutorials/iphone/index.php

Hi guys I have a 32GB iPhone 4 and I am wondering if i jailbreak my phone can i still sync with iTunes ?

Also what can i do with my iphone after it was been jailbreaked ?

Also if i do jailbreak it how do i do it ?

Yes you can sync

Alot alot alot alot of new things will be available to you.

Click the link above my friend.

Probably should mention to everyone that jailbreaking does void your warranty and can mess up for phone(Ii you make a complete mess of it).

ADO wrote: »
    hey folks,

really bad at this so bare with me and if u can reply please do so as if ur speaking to someone that has never used an iphone before :P

anyway i have an iphone4 and just yesterday i finally managed to update it, (havent done so since i bought it - sept 2010). its now running on version 4.3.3 (8J2) but i have lost cydia and installious :( all the apps that i have downloaded trough installious now no longer work :(

anyone got any solutions or help? will i have to jailbreak it again? if so how do i do it and where do i go?

When you updated your wiped your phone. The jailbreak is goneeeeeeeeee. You need to re-jailbreak. Click the link two posts above.

• Advertisement

Just want to also mention if you phone is jailbroken. Never click upgrade always click restore(yes it will still update). Trust me on this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

used ultrasnow and fuzzyband and my 3gs is now unlocked and unjailed and working a dream on my network, free from it's previous network.

Thanks for the help lads.

cool thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Doylers wrote: »
    Yes you can sync

Alot alot alot alot of new things will be available to you.

Click the link above my friend.

Probably should mention to everyone that jailbreaking does void your warranty and can mess up for phone(Ii you make a complete mess of it).
    theres not much damage ya can do by jailbreaking unless ya disconnect the phone while the baseband is being flashed, everything else can be fixed with a restore

guil wrote: »
    theres not much damage ya can do by jailbreaking unless ya disconnect the phone while the baseband is being flashed, everything else can be fixed with a restore

I had a person that when readsn0w said to hold the power button he thought it meant the pc :p Some people will plug it out so just need to make sure they know it can make a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

I had a person that when readsn0w said to hold the power button he thought it meant the pc :p Some people will plug it out so just need to make sure they know it can make a mess
    ha ha are you serious, some people just aren't tech savvy at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RidesLikeRossi

I've a 3gs running on 3.1.3 with band 05.12.01, its unlocked with ultrasn0w already, so i tried downloading the ipsw file for 4.2.1 and doing the whole shift/ restore itunes thing etc, but its coming up with error 3194?confused.gif

I tried the upgrade/unlock with redsn0w and the ipsw file and computer says nomad.gif, but i think thats because it already has ultrasn0w on it, not sure

Anyway, can somebody please tell me how the hell i upgrade the stupid phone and unlock it now? Its really beginning to wreck my headrolleyes.gif, i'm not a mad tech head by the way, basic bullet points would be hugely helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

Hey guys, I'm on a 3GS jailbroken 4.0.1. Will I benefit any by updating and jailbreaking again? 3GS seems liitle slow lately and the battery is awful, will updating help? Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

No offence but why are you doing it if your not sure? Use the jailbreak AND unlock wizard on this site to see.

http://www.iclarified.com/tutorials/iphone/index.php

@Doylers Personally I don't need or want to on my iPhone but my friend wants to unlock his to use on another network ( I think it's locked to O2 UK ). I had a look on iclarified before I posted and it said there was no unlock available yet for that baseband. I thought there might be a way to change the baseband and then unlock it....still don't know if that's possible.

Thanks for the reply though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kaizer05

Hey people,i got a brand new ip4 locked to 3 and when i activated it with itunes it installed ios 4.3 baseband 04.10.01.Im looking to jailbreak it but don't know wheather to update to 4.3.3 or just stick with 4.3,i want to unlock it as soon as a fix comes out for the 04.10.01 BB, also does it matter which jailbreak programme is used or do they all do the same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Am I really missing something or is there no jailbreak for the iPhone 3G on 4.3.2??

Advertisement