Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

didnt the 3g stop getting updates after 4.2

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

I dunno?? Im on 4.3.2 right now!

are ya sure its a 3g then cos according to this 4.3 isnt compatible with the 3g

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Ah the feckin eejit, yeah it's a 3Gs I guess, I'm unlocking it for a girl at work but she said it was a 3G? Don't need any help now I guess thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

kaizer05 wrote: »
    Hey people,i got a brand new ip4 locked to 3 and when i activated it with itunes it installed ios 4.3 baseband 04.10.01.Im looking to jailbreak it but don't know wheather to update to 4.3.3 or just stick with 4.3,i want to unlock it as soon as a fix comes out for the 04.10.01 BB, also does it matter which jailbreak programme is used or do they all do the same thing

Baseband doesn't matter unless your unlocking. If you are on the 3 network then you can update away. Redsnow still works on 4.3.3.

• Advertisement

gpf101 wrote: »
    Baseband doesn't matter unless your unlocking. If you are on the 3 network then you can update away. Redsnow still works on 4.3.3.
    of course they want to unlock it, they said they want to as soon as an unlock is available, what does it matter what network they are on if they update or not

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kaizer05

gpf101 wrote: »

Yes i will be looking to unlock it but the 04.10.01 baseband isn't supported yet so i'm wondering is there any point in updating it to 4.3.3 if it can't be unlocked and if i was to stick with 4.3 would i be able to jailbreak with the latest version of Redsn0w Sn0wbreeze or Greenp0isen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Hi,
    I've an iPhone 3Gs that is JB since last year on 4.0.1 and as it was my first time jailbreaking I installed a load of crap that I don't need and performance has been a bit iffy lately, so i want to wipe my phone and start again.

My question is "Can I update to a newer firmware and re-jailbreak using a custom FW or similar?"

Any pointers or links would be appriacated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 feeditout

you can update to the latest iOS & jailbreak using pwnage tool for mac or quick pwn for windows. if you need a software unlock stay away from latest ios. the unlock software isnt available yet...

feeditout wrote: »
    you can update to the latest iOS & jailbreak using pwnage tool for mac or quick pwn for windows. if you need a software unlock stay away from latest ios. the unlock software isnt available yet...

All info from dev team about lastest ios developments
    @ http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

• Advertisement

All info from dev team about lastest ios developments
    @ http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

applogies, you can unlock using the latest iOS software
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Thanks, so I can just wipe the phone and then update normally and then JB again?

I do not need a carrier unlock as it's factory unlocked.

Thanks again.

Thanks, so I can just wipe the phone and then update normally and then JB again?

I do not need a carrier unlock as it's factory unlocked.

Thanks again.

Sure can, check out dev team blog for download link.
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Sorry I'm new to jailbreaking also. I'm just wondering if I down redsn0w, will I be able to hook up any iPhone Barr the newest iPhone 4 and jailbreak it or is there different versions for different iphones?

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Sorry I'm new to jailbreaking also. I'm just wondering if I down redsn0w, will I be able to hook up any iPhone Barr the newest iPhone 4 and jailbreak it or is there different versions for different iphones?

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ should answer that question.. as far as im aware the latest jailbreak tools work on ALL iphones including iphone 4. whick is what i have... redsnow is a difficult package to operate id recommend Pwnage tool, its alot more intutive and easier to use...

Thanks I'll have a look at pwnage tool. Any chance you have a link to download it from?

Thanks I'll have a look at pwnage tool. Any chance you have a link to download it from?
    http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Oh, I didn't see it there. Final question. What's the difference between tethered and untethered jailbreaks?

After actually after been looking through websites of how to jailbreak, I can't seem to find an easy step by step guide starting from scratch. I am a complete beginner in relation to jailbreaking so could someone please point me in the right direction.

Oh, I didn't see it there. Final question. What's the difference between tethered and untethered jailbreaks?

Tethered = everytime you reboot device you must jailbreak
    Untethered = device will reboot without having to jailbreak everytime.
    Untethered is the one you want. All jailbreak software at present is untethered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Hey guys

Anyone know ifs theres finally an unlock out for the
    Baseband 3.10.01

applogies, you can unlock using the latest iOS software
    Good luck
    thats not true, if ya can update to 4.3.3 AND preserve the baseband, you can unlock

so if you're not already unlocked with ultrasn0w, chances are it's not possible to do it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I tried unclocking my 3G over the weekend. Updated the software to to 4.2.1 and tried using snowbreeze, greenpoison and blackrain, with no joy. Can anyone reccomend the best and hopefully the easiest way to jailbreak my iphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I have been given a still locked iPhone from a friend. She's going to contact O2 for the unlock.

Question - does her SIM have to be in the iPhone to complete the unlock?

I recall getting a Nokia unlocked before and I had to have a Vodafone SIM in the phone. Would an O2 SIM do for the iPhone unlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

BrianD wrote: »
    I have been given a still locked iPhone from a friend. She's going to contact O2 for the unlock.

Question - does her SIM have to be in the iPhone to complete the unlock?

I recall getting a Nokia unlocked before and I had to have a Vodafone SIM in the phone. Would an O2 SIM do for the iPhone unlock?
    To complete the unlock you need to put in a sim card that the phone is currently locked out of.

So you will need to put in any sim other than O2, connect to iTunes and bobs your uncle.

biggebruv wrote: »
    Hey guys

Anyone know ifs theres finally an unlock out for the
    Baseband 3.10.01
    Nope not yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    To complete the unlock you need to put in a sim card that the phone is currently locked out of.

So you will need to put in any sim other than O2, connect to iTunes and bobs your uncle.

I'm not sure if I explained clearly enough - the phone is locked and in my possession minus the SIM that it was originally assigned to. The owner is going to request the unlock from O2. At any point does the original O2 SIM need to go back into the phone so the process can be executed.

Obviously, after that I'll be sticking in a SIM for a different operator.

BrianD wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I explained clearly enough - the phone is locked and in my possession minus the SIM that it was originally assigned to. The owner is going to request the unlock from O2. At any point does the original O2 SIM need to go back into the phone so the process can be executed.

Obviously, after that I'll be sticking in a SIM for a different operator.
    No you explained clear enough alright.

To directly answer your question - No. You do not need the original sim.

O2 will text your friend when the unlock is processed, then you will need to insert any non-O2 sim and connect the phone to iTunes. iTunes will contact it's servers which in turn will tell iTunes to unlock your phone. Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

The girlfriend downloaded some app or file from cydia and now her iPhone 3gs keeps resetting. I told her to reset manually but it hasn't changed anything. The phone, from the way she explains, resets, turns on to the screen with the apple and the loading circle then turns off and does the same again... Anyone any ideas??

Cheers

• Advertisement

sounds like she installed something thats not compatible and its crashing the phone, just tell her to go back to cydia and remove what the package was and it should be ok

Advertisement