Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

turn it off and then connect it to itunes and hold the home button until the connect to itunes screen appears and then restore it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oddsox003

turn it off and then connect it to itunes and hold the home button until the connect to itunes screen appears and then restore it

thanks you so much :D:D its working again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

guil wrote: »
    did the message say the unlock was ready or that they sent the details to apple and requested the unlock

Yes the message was received. After about 3 connect/disconnects it decided to kick in.

Question - if in the future I decide to switch network or even number on the same network is there any procedure that needs to be followed?

no once its unlocked in itunes it remains unlocked no matter what and ya can change sims as you please

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

cronin_j wrote: »
    Help it seems has come in the form of 02's customer service. I explained I bought the phone from a o2 customer and that when I upgraded it Locked the phone.

She sent the unlock request to apple and said in two days I should get a text about unlocking it.

Hi, I'm in the same position(I think) I bought a 3gs off an o2 customer thinking I could unlock it (as I have with a 3g) but its 4.3.2. (87h) modem 05.16.02, I'm wary of upgrading too. I want to use the phone on Meteor like my previous one. Will O2 still request an unlock for me do you think? HOw did you go about asking them to do this?

Any help is appreciated, I bought this for the GF thinking I could unlock it same day, so under a wee bit of pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

cronin_j wrote: »
    Help it seems has come in the form of 02's customer service. I explained I bought the phone from a o2 customer and that when I upgraded it Locked the phone.

She sent the unlock request to apple and said in two days I should get a text about unlocking it.

Hi, I'm in the same position(I think) I bought a 3gs off an o2 customer thinking I could unlock it (as I have with a 3g) but its 4.3.2. (87h) modem 05.16.02, I'm wary of upgrading too. I want to use the phone on Meteor like my previous one. Will O2 still request an unlock for me do you think? HOw did you go about asking them to do this?

Any help is appreciated, I bought this for the GF thinking I could unlock it same day, so under a wee bit of pressure.

Ya I just rang them up explained I wasnt an 02 customer etc etc and then she said no problem whats your IMEI number and then when apple have sent the code they will text me. No problems what so ever. Im expecting it tomorrow as it takes 2 working days

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

When jailbreaking the iphone 4 , using Pwange tool,

All seemed to go well , done the restore and it said the iphone would restart and show up in itunes,

But every time iTunes then detected an iphone in recovery mode , could not do anything with it , just a black screen.

Went through the JB process a good few times and got the same outcome.

So after many hours trying , I decided to just restore back to the stock apple 4.3.1 i had saved but know im getting an error 1013 and the iphone is still in recovery mode !

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Now it says "The device isn't eligible for the requested build" when trying to restore to 4.3.3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Hi folks,

Have an iPhone 4, 4.3.3 with baseband 4.10.1 and am waiting (impatiently :o ) for an untethered unlock to become available.

Been looking around the net and there's a few mentions from a few months ago but nothing recently.
    http://www.freakgeeks.com/2011/3651/iphone4-unlock-will-also-unlock-ios4-3-baseband-4-10-01-confirmed/

Anyone see anything more recent or has anyone managed a jailbreak/unlock on that build/baseband?

Cheers,
    Quad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I have an iPhone 4 on 4.3.2 and I want to jailbreak it. Would Redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 Be able to do it? Its the latest version, but does it still do older firmwares?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

I can't unlock any iPhone 3G, I've been unable to jailbreak 3 different 3G iPhones recently, all phones have the latest software (4.2.1).

When I run redsn0w it just crashes when downloading the iPad baseband

Is this a common problem and is there a fix for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

I can't unlock any iPhone 3G, I've been unable to jailbreak 3 different 3G iPhones recently, all phones have the latest software (4.2.1).

When I run redsn0w it just crashes when downloading the iPad baseband

Is this a common problem and is there a fix for it?
    Make sure that it's run in administrator mode and windows XP compatability mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I'm wondering is the a 'package' ie redsn0w or anything I can get that will jailbreak the majority of iDevices?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

I'm trying to download RedSn0w 0.9.6rc9 but it doesn't seem to be working on the dev team blog. Anybody else experiencing this?

https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc9.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

EDIT: Seems to be working now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

Whats the best way to back up your cydia apps before updating?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Pkgbackup is what I use everytime and it's really good. Backs up sources too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

jarvis wrote: »
    Pkgbackup is what I use everytime and it's really good. Backs up sources too.

Do you have to pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

donal2000 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have an IPhone 3GS running firmware version 3.1.2 with an tethered jailbreak using Purplera1n. Each time I need to reset the IPhone (have to reset network settings from time to time as unable to connect to my local Wifi) or if the battery dies I get the ITunes logo on the IPhone so have to connect to my PC and run the Purplera1n jailbreak.

I've read about Jailbreakme - an untethered jailbreak. Apparently I have to upgrade my firmware to 4.0.1 for this to work.
    I've downloaded the firmware file and when I attempt to update the firmware manually using ITunes I get the error 3194.
    I've read about the error 3194 fix - edit the hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc adding the following line 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com). Put the IPhone into Recovery Mode and Shift Restore using the firmware file but again I get the error 3194. I have also tried upgrading to firmware version 3.1.3 but again get the error 3194. What can I do?

Also I have tried running tinyumbrella, start the TSS server and then try the Shift Restore in ITunes (with IPhone in Recovery Mode) using either firmware 3.1.2 or 4.0.1 and get the error 1604. I have tried using different USB ports and another USB lead I have but get the same error.

It's driving me insane as I want to get an untethered jailbreak running on the IPhone so I can reboot the phone without having to connect to a PC each time. Is there any workaround for this or anything I can do to get the firmware upgraded?

Also will I lose anything by upgrading the firmware or restoring? I have made a backup in ITunes.

Thank You

Anyone any suggestions? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Bit of a noob question here, but I can get an iPhone 4 which is locked to 3, my network and i'm just wondering will it make a difference if the phone was bought on a contract or pay as you go basis? I'm on pay as you go so I don't want there to be any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

I have an iPhone 4 unlocked and running 4.0.2

If I upgrade to 4.2 is it possible to unlock?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have an iPhone 4 unlocked and running 4.0.2

If I upgrade to 4.2 is it possible to unlock?

Thanks!
    no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Ok im currently 4.3.1 and i want to jailbreak, what do i use? I tried to upgrade to 4.3.3 so i could use redsnow but i keep getting error 3194???

Any ideas what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭nicker_s

Ok im currently 4.3.1 and i want to jailbreak, what do i use? I tried to upgrade to 4.3.3 so i could use redsnow but i keep getting error 3194???

Any ideas what to do?

- Locate your hosts file, in Mac OS X this is /etc/hosts and in Windows this is c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    -Open the hosts file
    -Add the following line to the very bottom of the hosts file and save:
    74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

You can try now, if it doesn’t work do the following-

- Download TinyUmbrella to your Device (Download for Mac OS ,Download for Windows) here - http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/
    -Now Install TinyUmbreall in your System whether it is Mac Os or Windows.
    - Install and run tiny umbrella
    - In the advanced tab in Tiny Umbrella Uncheck “Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit”
    -apply changes down the bottom right
    - Now your system need to Reboot/Restart.
    - Launch Tiny Umbrella again
    -Connect your iPhone to the computer
    - Launch iTunes
    - Put the iPhone/iPad/iPod into DFU mode by turning the phone off and then holding down the sleep and power button for 10 seconds, then release the power button but hold onto the home button until iTunes tells you that the device is now in recover mode
    - Use the iTunes Restore feature as usual with the iOS device
    Worked for me.

Hi all,

I have an iPhone 4 unlocked running 4.0.2.

Trying to upgrade Cydia and I get a message 'Subprocess rm cleanup killed by signal (segmentation fault)

I suppose the handiest thing to do is a restore. Is there a way of restoring so that I can re-jailbreak the device and unlock?

Hi all,

I have an iPhone 4 unlocked running 4.0.2.

Trying to upgrade Cydia and I get a message 'Subprocess rm cleanup killed by signal (segmentation fault)

I suppose the handiest thing to do is a restore. Is there a way of restoring so that I can re-jailbreak the device and unlock?

You can restore your phone to the same ios by downloading the ispw 4.0.2 (or any unlockable ios) and then in itunes hold down shift and click restore and find the dowloaded file; if you just click restore it will put the unlockable 4.3.3 on your phone so be careful. This will restore the phone and keep the same ios and you should be able to unlock and jailbreak the phone the same way you did previously.

I've ordered the Gevey sim off ebay (couple of Irish sellers selling for less than a tenner) has anyone tried one of these yet? they are supposed to unlock all ios on iphone 4. I'm not sure about the legality of them but they are supposed to work.

nicker_s wrote: »
    You can restore your phone to the same ios by downloading the ispw 4.0.2 (or any unlockable ios) and then in itunes hold down shift and click restore and find the dowloaded file; if you just click restore it will put the unlockable 4.3.3 on your phone so be careful. This will restore the phone and keep the same ios and you should be able to unlock and jailbreak the phone the same way you did previously.

I've ordered the Gevey sim off ebay (couple of Irish sellers selling for less than a tenner) has anyone tried one of these yet? they are supposed to unlock all ios on iphone 4. I'm not sure about the legality of them but they are supposed to work.

Cool - I don't have SHSH saved and it's too late for 4.0.2

Is that ok?

Cool - I don't have SHSH saved and it's too late for 4.0.2

Is that ok?

Don't know what you mean there? You can download the ispw here for example you could try this tutorial, haven't tried it myself. There seems to be someone answering any questions at the bottom too.

nicker_s wrote: »
    Don't know what you mean there? You can download the ispw here for example you could try this tutorial, haven't tried it myself. There seems to be someone answering any questions at the bottom too.
    theres no way to restore to 4.0.2 without shsh blobs backed up on cydias server or by using tinyumbrella

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

I have an iPhone 4 running 4.3.3 with model firmware 04.10.01.

Can this be jailbroken and subsequently unlocked? If not, anyone know if they'll roll out a resolve soon?

Cheers.

it can be jailbroken using redsn0w but there is no unlock available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

guil wrote: »
    it can be jailbroken using redsn0w but there is no unlock available

Thought so. Fcuk! Hope they figure it out soon...

Advertisement