Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Swish87

I just bought a gevey sim to unlock my iphone 4 and on the instructions it says that a sim welcome menu will pop up, but the only thing that pops up for me is a menu telling me that the sim is locked. Any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Can an ipad 2 running 4.3.3 be jailbroken?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Swish87 wrote: »
    I just bought a gevey sim to unlock my iphone 4 and on the instructions it says that a sim welcome menu will pop up, but the only thing that pops up for me is a menu telling me that the sim is locked. Any help?
    that means there is a pin enabled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

nicker_s wrote: »
    - Locate your hosts file, in Mac OS X this is /etc/hosts and in Windows this is c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    -Open the hosts file
    -Add the following line to the very bottom of the hosts file and save:
    74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

You can try now, if it doesn’t work do the following-

- Download TinyUmbrella to your Device (Download for Mac OS ,Download for Windows) here - http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/
    -Now Install TinyUmbreall in your System whether it is Mac Os or Windows.
    - Install and run tiny umbrella
    - In the advanced tab in Tiny Umbrella Uncheck “Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit”
    -apply changes down the bottom right
    - Now your system need to Reboot/Restart.
    - Launch Tiny Umbrella again
    -Connect your iPhone to the computer
    - Launch iTunes
    - Put the iPhone/iPad/iPod into DFU mode by turning the phone off and then holding down the sleep and power button for 10 seconds, then release the power button but hold onto the home button until iTunes tells you that the device is now in recover mode
    - Use the iTunes Restore feature as usual with the iOS device
    Worked for me.

Thanks this worked, i am now on 4.3.3

one more question, i watched a video for redsn0w as i am about to jailbreak. the guy in the video is on 4.3.3 but has also saved down the firmware to his desktop seperately to be used. do i have to do this also? not sure why as any jailbreak ive done before doesnt require this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Thanks this worked, i am now on 4.3.3

one more question, i watched a video for redsn0w as i am about to jailbreak. the guy in the video is on 4.3.3 but has also saved down the firmware to his desktop seperately to be used. do i have to do this also? not sure why as any jailbreak ive done before doesnt require this

As in store the firmware on your desktop? Doesn't make a difference at all, I use the apple downloaded firmware in AppData on the pc.

• Advertisement

Doylers wrote: »
    As in store the firmware on your desktop? Doesn't make a difference at all, I use the apple downloaded firmware in AppData on the pc.

So i do need something saved on the desktop? sorry for sounding like an idiot haha

is having 4.3.3 on my iphone not enough to run redsn0w?

So i do need something saved on the desktop? sorry for sounding like an idiot haha

is having 4.3.3 on my iphone not enough to run redsn0w?

People say to put stuff on the desktop because its easier to access. When you run redsn0w it will ask what firmware your on, you click browse and navigate to your firmware that your downloaded or that itunes download its all the say. You select it redsn0w does some magic and you follow its instructions.

People say to put stuff on the desktop because its easier to access. When you run redsn0w it will ask what firmware your on, you click browse and navigate to your firmware that your downloaded or that itunes download its all the say. You select it redsn0w does some magic and you follow its instructions.

oh ok, now my next question is if i am to browse and find the ipsw that itunes downloaded, what folder would one find this in? lol i am looking through my itunes folder but cant see it for redsn0w to select

oh ok, now my next question is if i am to browse and find the ipsw that itunes downloaded, what folder would one find this in? lol i am looking through my itunes folder but cant see it for redsn0w to select

Operating system?

sorry, why do i always assume people know these things when they possibly couldnt lol windows XP

• Advertisement

sorry, why do i always assume people know these things when they possibly couldnt lol windows XP

hahaha its cool. XP, god havent used that in a while :p First enable view of hidden folders,

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options.
    On the View tab, under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

The the firmware should( not 100% since its XP) in C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

hahaha its cool. XP, god havent used that in a while :p First enable view of hidden folders,

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options.
    On the View tab, under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

The the firmware should( not 100% since its XP) in C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

Thanks for that! file was where you said it would be! I now have a jailbroken iphone :)

One more annoying question, i am going abroad next week, i know to turn off data roaming option, but if i leave cellular data on this will just mean i can make / send calls or texts yes which would of course be subject to roaming charges?

cork45 wrote: »
    Can an ipad 2 running 4.3.3 be jailbroken?

Anyone?

Thanks for that! file was where you said it would be! I now have a jailbroken iphone :)

One more annoying question, i am going abroad next week, i know to turn off data roaming option, but if i leave cellular data on this will just mean i can make / send calls or texts yes which would of course be subject to roaming charges?

Turn push and notifications off. Then you will only be charged for texts and stuff. Best people to ask would be your provider(if they support iPhone). Im not too sure tbh.

Anyone?

Quote from the dev team, iPad2 update: The iPad2 jailbreak remains under development. As you may know, the original exploit @comex developed in the first week of the iPad2 release was mysteriously fixed by Apple within days of its development. Partly because of this, don’t expect much public discussion of the iPad2 jailbreak until it’s actually finished and ready for release (and please avoid asking about it). In all liklihood, it will be a userland exploit like the first (unreleased) one, not dependent on bootrom dumps. The first one can’t be released even for those with the original 4.3 firmware due to legal (distribution) reasons. END QUOTE.

Turn push and notifications off. Then you will only be charged for texts and stuff. Best people to ask would be your provider(if they support iPhone). Im not too sure tbh.

Yup they do, i will ask them what is for definite so!

Thanks again for your help earlier!!

Could I downgrade from 4.3.3 to an earlier firmware and then do a jailbreak?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Could I downgrade from 4.3.3 to an earlier firmware and then do a jailbreak?

I Pad 2's cant be jail broken full stop at the moment, if / when it is broken it is likely to be 4.3.1 that is broken and then maybe moving up to 4.3.3.

No point even trying to down grade untill there is more news!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I have a 3gs on 4.1 with the 05.14.2 baseband. I jailbroke it with limerAin and installed cydia and ultrasnow. It accepts my simcard from another carrier but it has no coverage, only shows up as searching.
    Should I have updated the bb to 6.15 or is there an unlock now for the 05.14.2? Any help much appreciated!

alan1990 wrote: »
    I have a 3gs on 4.1 with the 05.14.2 baseband. I jailbroke it with limerAin and installed cydia and ultrasnow. It accepts my simcard from another carrier but it has no coverage, only shows up as searching.
    Should I have updated the bb to 6.15 or is there an unlock now for the 05.14.2? Any help much appreciated!
    i'm fairly certain ultrasnow only works upto 05.13.04
    after that ya need to update to the ipad baseband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Hey all i have iphone 4 on 3 network and am wondering is there an unlock for the baseband 03.10.01

Im also on FW 4.2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Liam_82

I have a 3g on 4.2.1 and baseband 05.15

I bought the phone unlocked but it's not jailbroken so if I do jailbreak it will I loose the unlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Hey guys,

I've an iPhone 4 with Vodafone on 4.3.1 jailbroken with redsn0w but its not unlocked. Whats the handiest way for unlocking it as I'm going to the states for 6 weeks and wanna get a US sim for it.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dcar

Can you not unlock it through cydia with ultrasn0w?
    If not try the gevey sim while you're there or you could get in contact with vodafone and ask them to request an unlock from apple. If the phone is registered in your name and you've been with them a while or have spent a lot in credit there shouldn't be a problem.

ultrasn0w wont unlock it if the baseband is higher than 01.59.00

Which means the only other ways are to try the Gevey Sim or to get Vodafone to unlock it through apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

dcar wrote: »
    Which means the only other ways are to try the Gevey Sim or to get Vodafone to unlock it through apple.

I tried Vodafone already and I have to have fulfilled my 18mnth contract, which I haven't yet. Whats a Gevey Sim?

http://applenberry.com/store/gevey2.html

It's like the old Turbo Sim that used to be around before. You place it between your own Sim and the phone and it's supposed to unlock it for you.
    I got one on ebay. I am waiting for it to arrive to try it on an iphone a friend of mine got from Bulgaria. If it works out i will be buying it from him.
    If not i might try to back up the software to 4.2.1 and jailbreak it.
    Am surprised Vodafone wouldn't unlock it for you. You are locked into a contract after all which ties you to them regardless. It would be different if you were pay as you go.

dcar wrote: »
    http://applenberry.com/store/gevey2.html

It's like the old Turbo Sim that used to be around before. You place it between your own Sim and the phone and it's supposed to unlock it for you.
    I got one on ebay. I am waiting for it to arrive to try it on an iphone a friend of mine got from Bulgaria. If it works out i will be buying it from him.
    If not i might try to back up the software to 4.2.1 and jailbreak it.
    Am surprised Vodafone wouldn't unlock it for you. You are locked into a contract after all which ties you to them regardless. It would be different if you were pay as you go.
    the gevey sim works, my friend used one on an iphone 4 a few weeks ago

regarding your friends iphone, why would ya try get it back to 4.2.1 if the gevey sim doesnt work

• Advertisement

I tried doing that but the current version of itunes won't allow it. If Gevey doesn't work then might try to download an older version of itunes and try it then.
    With your friends Gevey was it the pro or the older one? Is it 112 or 999 that works with it here in Ireland?
    the iphone we are trying to unlock is jailbroken on 4.3.3 on the 04.10.01 baseband.
    If we can't do anything then he has an expensive ipod touch!

You can unlock 4.2.1 (i believe) with ultrasn0w. I think it's only after 4.3 when they started having problems with certain basebands.

Advertisement