Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i havent a clue which gevey sim he got but i'll find out
    the latest stick firmware that has an unlockable baseband is 4.0.2
    4.1 had the 02.10.04 baseband which isnt unlockable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Liam_82 wrote: »
    I have a 3g on 4.2.1 and baseband 05.15

I bought the phone unlocked but it's not jailbroken so if I do jailbreak it will I loose the unlock?

If its not jailbroken then your factory unlocked so your fine. FYI since you have a 3G you cant really do anything to mess it up with jailbreaks because apple dont care about it since its "old" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Toft
    TangoTwit

Hey I want to jailbreak my 8 gig G3 phone but I read (http://thebigboss.org/jailbreak-now) that apple is no longer supporting my model.

Do I have to reset my phone to it's original state to Jailbreak?

If I have to reset my phone to default will I be able to reinstall the updates?

Toft wrote: »
    Hey I want to jailbreak my 8 gig G3 phone but I read (http://thebigboss.org/jailbreak-now) that apple is no longer supporting my model.

Do I have to reset my phone to it's original state to Jailbreak?

If I have to reset my phone to default will I be able to reinstall the updates?

Do I have to reset my phone to it's original state to Jailbreak? << Why would you do that? Is it jailbroken now? Not sure what your trying to do but if you want to update you can, and then jailbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Toft
    TangoTwit

Thanks for the response, I got given a 3g 8 gig phone and I'm new to apple products but I was told that jail breaking was a good idea. I just want to be sure that if I have to reset my phone for any reason that I'd be able to re install all the updates before jail breaking it again. I thought that as apple stopped supporting the phone that the updates might not be available for it.
    Assuming that they are I see that there's different ways for jail breaking my phone which would be better for my particular model?
    The page I previously linked doesn't mention 3g only 3gs.

• Advertisement

Toft wrote: »
    Thanks for the response, I got given a 3g 8 gig phone and I'm new to apple products but I was told that jail breaking was a good idea. I just want to be sure that if I have to reset my phone for any reason that I'd be able to re install all the updates before jail breaking it again. I thought that as apple stopped supporting the phone that the updates might not be available for it.
    Assuming that they are I see that there's different ways for jail breaking my phone which would be better for my particular model?
    The page I previously linked doesn't mention 3g only 3gs.

Right ok. So lets say apple stopped support for the 3G at 4.0.0(im not sure which exact version). You will only be able to go to 4.0.0 no matter what. So if you ever reset the phone you will stay on 4.0.0 and re-jailbreak without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

There is a lot of software adds on google when searching for iphone unlocking software.

Has anyone ever used any of these? Are they safe etc?

One add was to unlock and jailbreak for $25

Was looking at the iClarified at the top of post. But will it support say a iphone I would go out and buy today. How up to date would it be?

I'm hoping to get an iphone 4 from Three and then unlock it so I can put foreign sims in it when I travel

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭inkogneetoe

Personally I wouldn't pay head to those ads. Especially when you can do it for free. iclarified has a wizard to check if your iOS/Phone is currently unlockable so try that first. Plus you will get good support on the forums.

kgpixels wrote: »
    There is a lot of software adds on google when searching for iphone unlocking software.

Has anyone ever used any of these? Are they safe etc?

One add was to unlock and jailbreak for $25

Was looking at the iClarified at the top of post. But will it support say a iphone I would go out and buy today. How up to date would it be?

I'm hoping to get an iphone 4 from Three and then unlock it so I can put foreign sims in it when I travel

You would be crazy to pay anyone do do something you can for free. I dont have an iphone 4 so not to sure on basebands guil might know, but from what I hear you cant unlock the latest iphone 4 basband. Would you not buy direct from apple? There all factory unlocked. I have had all my iphone unlocked by their carriers and it makes life much more easier and plus you can update faster because jailbreaking is easier then unlocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

Personally I wouldn't pay head to those ads. Especially when you can do it for free. iclarified has a wizard to check if your iOS/Phone is currently unlockable so try that first. Plus you will get good support on the forums.

Thanks. So iclarified is free then? And if it can't unlock it, it probably can't be unlocked, is that correct?

• Advertisement

iclarified just shows ya how to do it, if the baseband is higher than 01.59.00 it cant be unlocked, that baseband was last used in 4.0.2 so i'd say your chances of getting an unlockable 1 off three are slim

this website will tell you how if ya can unlock any iphone
    http://jailbreak-me.info/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dcar

If just looking for the unlock for going abroad just spend the tenner on the Gevey Pro. It's handy for the short term.
    I got one the other day and it does work.
    I see the newer ones are available now which don't require the need to dial 112 but i think the phone might need to be jailbroken for this. Or it might be for IOS 5 when it comes out.
    Check out on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qYYxwJJHto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I plan on getting an iPhone 4 next week, can I get it jailbroken (won't need it unlocked as I plan to stay with carrier) and will it void warrenty?

I hav a 3gs unlocked n jailbroken but bought it 2nd hand so didn't care as much, don't wanna fork out, jailbreak, brick n be stuck in 2 year contract :o

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 suzhoo

Hi Can anyone tell me how to jailbreak or unlock my iphone easily? I had an iphone with Cydia on it before but got a replacement phone which meant I lost my cydia, its a 3gs running on 4.3.3 (8j2) and 05.16.02 thanks

IPAM wrote: »
    I plan on getting an iPhone 4 next week, can I get it jailbroken (won't need it unlocked as I plan to stay with carrier) and will it void warrenty?

I hav a 3gs unlocked n jailbroken but bought it 2nd hand so didn't care as much, don't wanna fork out, jailbreak, brick n be stuck in 2 year contract :o

thanks

You can jailbreak it when you get it. Yep will void your warranty. The whole situation of apple knowing it has been jailbroken is a mystery, so I take it as if you restore and bring it in they'll never know.

suzhoo wrote: »
    Hi Can anyone tell me how to jailbreak or unlock my iphone easily? I had an iphone with Cydia on it before but got a replacement phone which meant I lost my cydia, its a 3gs running on 4.3.3 (8j2) and 05.16.02 thanks

Download this and follow the on-screen instructions. https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc18.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 suzhoo

I can't seem to run it, is it because i've some sort of expired winrar?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Berbatov

Hi All,

Hope someone can give me some help. Trying to jailbreak 3G, IOS 4.2.1, Baseband 05.15.04-6.2_m3s2.

Have tried snowbreeze, created the custom ispw file. Put phone into recovery mode, through itunes into selecting custom ipsw then I get this message

"The iPhone 'iPhone' firmware file could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible"

Anybody got any suggestions?:confused::confused:

Thanks

where did you download the ipsw from, make sure its for a 3gs and not a 4 or 3g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Berbatov wrote: »
    Hi All,

Hope someone can give me some help. Trying to jailbreak 3G, IOS 4.2.1, Baseband 05.15.04-6.2_m3s2.

Have tried snowbreeze, created the custom ispw file. Put phone into recovery mode, through itunes into selecting custom ipsw then I get this message

"The iPhone 'iPhone' firmware file could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible"

Anybody got any suggestions?:confused::confused:

Thanks

Sn0wbreeze uses custom firmware so stock apple firmware won't work. Try using greenpois0n. You won't need to download any firmware. Let us know how it goes.

• Advertisement

Sorry, as guil said was using the wrong firmware file!!

Anyway, used the correct firmware, snowbreeze created the custom ispw. Now get this message from itunes:

"The iphone 'iphone' could not be restored. An unknown error ocurred (1600)"

Anu suggestions? Phone is now still in recovery mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Sorry, as guil said was using the wrong firmware file!!

Anyway, used the correct firmware, snowbreeze created the custom ispw. Now get this message from itunes:

"The iphone 'iphone' could not be restored. An unknown error ocurred (1600)"

Anu suggestions? Phone is now still in recovery mode.

Try greenpois0n!!!!

Right, phone has now been jailbroken with Snowbreeze custome ipsw.

Ultrasn0w installed. Sim put in put phone is constantly 'searching'.

Strugging for definitive answer, I suspect it may be that the baseband is 05.15.04.

Going through http://jailbreak-me.info suggests using redsnow to 'upgrade' baseband to 06.15.00 and then use Ultrasn0w.

However direct from Dev-Team Blog.

"ultrasn0w unlockers must stay away from redsn0w! Use only a custom IPSW to update to 4.3.3, to avoid updating your baseband. There are plenty of tutorials for both redsn0w and PwnageTool at sites like iClarified.com. Or feel free to ask away in our comments section below"

Any help welcome!!!:confused::confused:

just follow the guide, the warning is about the very latest redsn0w which ya wont be using and ya wont be on 4.3.3 either

redsn0w keeps crashing when 'fetching ipad basband' :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 griffonmark

No tech experience but wanted to update my iphone 3g. I got a present of it (last September) from my son who got it on ebay. Was working fine till I (in my stupidity) decided to restore and upgrade ie unjailbreak (never even heard of the term until recently it. It was working away fine on itunes via XP when I received SIM unsupported message. Called Vodafone they could not help and said to put in 'original SIM' which of course I don't have. Phone now just shows connect to itunes symbol and allows for emergency phonecall. From what I can remember version it was 3.1.2 - only decided to update to get apps not supported by 3.1.2! Am I doomed? Can somebody help this ageing techno-illiterate idiot?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

you're going to have to hacktivate it by jailbreaking again!

www.iclarified.com will be your friend here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

You'll have to update the baseband to the iPad one using redsn0w and firmware 4.2.1, this is simple enough to do, once that's done, join a wifi network and download ultrasn0w in Cydia and you should be up an running

redsn0w keeps crashing when 'fetching ipad basband' :confused::confused:

Apparently there is a problem with redsn0w when you select 'install cydia' and 'install ipad baseband'.

Check only 'install ipad baseband' - Cydia gets installed anyway.

• Advertisement

before ya install the ipad baseband try f0recast on the pc with the phone connected, if your lucky it will be the old bootloader, iirc its 5.8 and it's possible to downgrade that

Advertisement