Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Just a quick question, I have a 3GS bought about two weeks after launch in Ireland. I want t upgrade to 3.1 but im worried about losing the ability to tether my iPhone to the laptop. Is there anyway to do this without jailbreaking? I.E. Upgrade to 3.1, fownload a new carrier file and that's it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭iKeith

check the tethering thread here. it can also be done in the latest fw which is 3.1.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Stumbled across this thread today, and nearly had a coronary.
    Wife insisting on getting me iPhone 3GS for xmas.

But reading all this, I'm thinking it's a pile of ****e, and one needs to spend more time fixing it and fiddeling with it, than you would spend doing likewise on an old lada.

Am I right?
    Should I just stay away?
    I hate tech frustration!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Rujib1 wrote: »

But reading all this, I'm thinking it's a pile of ****e, and one needs to spend more time fixing it and fiddeling with it, than you would spend doing likewise on an old lada.

Am I right?
    Should I just stay away?
    I hate tech frustration!

The bottom line - you don't need to do any of this if you want to use the phone on O2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Rujib1 wrote: »

Am I right?
    Should I just stay away?
    I hate tech frustration!

Rujib,
    As Tom mentioned , If you are using the iphone on 02 , no need to worry about unlocking etc.

Yes the iPhone is more advanced than the "old ladies" you like , but trust me when you get one of these slick young beauties performing to the best , then your gonna be happy !

Get the phone , you wont be disappointed , a 3GS is far from been a " pile of ****e " , tech frustrated or not.

If you do want to unlock (use on a different network to O2 )
    OR
    If you want to jailbreak (use 3rd party software or ;) other stuff on the phone)
    It has never been easier , I swear its simple .

If you need any assistance , drop me a PM.

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

mixednuts wrote: »
    If you want to jailbreak (use 3rd party software or ;) other stuff on the phone)
    As long as you never let the battery die or plan on turning it off whilst away from a computer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Quazzie wrote: »
    As long as you never let the battery die or plan on turning it off whilst away from a computer

Or you are lucky to get a pre 40 week Iphone.

Sorry to make it more confusing..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Rujib,
    As Tom mentioned , If you are using the iphone on 02 , no need to worry about unlocking etc.

Yes the iPhone is more advanced than the "old ladies" you like , but trust me when you get one of these slick young beauties performing to the best , then your gonna be happy !

Get the phone , you wont be disappointed , a 3GS is far from been a " pile of ****e " , tech frustrated or not.

If you do want to unlock (use on a different network to O2 )
    OR

If you need any assistance , drop me a PM.

M.

Thanks. I would be rolling a 5 year old blackberry for emails and 6 year old Nokia 6310i into one device. As you can see, I tend to stick to what I know.

I am on O2, so I think I might go for it.

Thanks

deep1 wrote: »
    Or you are lucky to get a pre 40 week Iphone.

Sorry to make it more confusing..:D

I knew all this , wanted to take it on step at a time ;)

Imagine trying to explain the following in one foul swoop:
    Firmware version
    Firmware upgarde
    bootrom version
    blackr1in
    blacksnow
    Serial decoding (week of Manuf )
    tehtered
    un-tethered
    reboots (warm & cold)
    Cydia
    Repo
    Sources
    Cracked Apps
    etc etc

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Just got an iphone there yesterday.. how do i check if its a pre 40 week or not?
    last 2 digits on the serial I read.. but how to I know what letters/numbers to be lookin for
    after reading up, its 4th & 5th digits..
    so mine is a week 47..
    dono if I'll bother jailbreaking with the annoyingness of having to connect it up everytime, it can be good to let a battery drain totally and then give it a full recharge

• Advertisement

Lenny wrote: »
    Just got an iphone there yesterday.. how do i check if its a pre 40 week or not?
    last 2 digits on the serial I read.. but how to I know what letters/numbers to be lookin for

Its the 4th & 5th digits will tell you the week it was made.....

found on the box or SETTINGS/GENERAL/ABOUT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Hi All

Just got an IPhone and was looking forward to Jailbreaking it. But from reading this thread it seems I wont be able to. My details are as follows.

Version : 3.1.2(7D11)
    Model: MC131B
    Serial: 8594701L3NP
    Firmware: 05.11.07

I'm guessing it was manufactured in Week 47.
    Is there anyway around this to get it jailbroken???

You can use blackra1n but it does come with restrictions. The main one being that its a tethered jailbreak for the mean while.

Hope this helps

You can use blackra1n but it does come with restrictions. The main one being that its a tethered jailbreak for the mean while.

Hope this helps

+1

Heres some basic instructions for blackra1n....

Go to HERE
    Select your operating system (Windows or Mac )
    Download to your desktop .
    Plug your phone into your P.C (If iTunes opens , close it)
    Double click on the "blackra1n.exe" on your desktop .
    Click "make it rain"
    Follow the instructions
    10 secs later ..your jailbroken.

On your phone you will see a "blackra1n" App .
    Open it .
    Install Cydia or whatever you prefer .
    You will also see "blacksnow"..This is the unlock feature to allow you to use a different sim , install it if required .

Go back HERE AND DONATE !

Hope this Helps .

M.

Hope this helps
    Thanks Quazzie. Yeah I read about this. Bit of a pain in the balls to have to run the jailbreak each time you restart or power off the iphone/ipod. I suppose it will have to do until some Genius comes up with a FIX....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

I just got an iphone 3G 3.1.2

I just downloaded blacksn0w but after the reboot I need to download Cydia but have to do this through wifi?

I haven't got a wireless internet connection in my apartmet so can't go on the internet here through wifi.

Anyway to go around this step?

+1

Heres some basic instructions for blackra1n....

Go to HERE
    Select your operating system (Windows or Mac )
    Download to your desktop .
    Plug your phone into your P.C (If iTunes opens , close it)
    Double click on the "blackra1n.exe" on your desktop .
    Click "make it rain"
    Follow the instructions
    10 secs later ..your jailbroken.

On your phone you will see a "blackra1n" App .
    Open it .
    Install Cydia or whatever you prefer .
    You will also see "blacksnow"..This is the unlock feature to allow you to use a different sim , install it if required .

Go back HERE AND DONATE !

Hope this Helps .

M.

Thanks Guys. I'll try that and I Will Donate :D

Thanks Guys. I'll try that and I Will Donate

lol ..after reading my post's again it does sound demanding , aint my intention .

I think the time and effort that goes into these jailbreaks deserves rewarding , afterall there are tons of sites that charge for the same jailbreaks , Geohot just asks if you use then donate , its fair enough ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

I just got an iphone 3G 3.1.2

I just downloaded blacksn0w but after the reboot I need to download Cydia but have to do this through wifi?

I haven't got a wireless internet connection in my apartmet so can't go on the internet here through wifi.

Anyway to go around this step?

...Anyone?

Hi Guys

I have jailbroken the phone, but got this error on itunes???

itunesf.png

Did I do something wrong???
    Also with every application I install from Cydia I have to reboot the device and thus have to Jailbreak again. Any way around this???

• Advertisement

...Anyone?

Not really a work around but most libraries have accessible wifi as does McDonalds. In fact if you walk down a major street in most towns you'll most likely find a usable wifi hotspot.

I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear but it's the only way I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Picking up a 3GS this week on O2 PAYG with plans of unlocking it to Meteor. Have sourced a week 38 32GB in a local Carphone Warehouse, I presume that this is the most pain free way of unlocking one ? (Asides from buying a factory unlocked one)

If it's a week 38 build, does that mean if it dies, I won't have to worry about re-jailbreaking it and re-unlocking it again ?

Sweet, wasn't expecting to be able to update it, have a touch (which I'll probably sell now) which is jailbroken. Just wasn't sure about the whole bootrom thing-a-majic on the pre week 40's !

Thanks again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭iKeith

madine wrote: »
    i bought a 2nd hand iphone 3g 8gb. i want to unlock/jailbreak it.
    i read through the thread but dont know where to start.
    what should i do first? check the firmware? how do i do this
    should i get itunes then?
    anyhelp appreciated

yes you need to download itunes to sync your songs, apps, movies, etc. to check the fw: go to settings>general>about and look for firmware. then follow mixednuts steps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 timmyG

I have a iphone 2g which is unlock and jailbroken running software version 3.0. How can i upgrade to 3.1.2 without locking the phone again?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Just a quick question? I've read through the thread and I'm just wondering, with a post week 40 iPhone, can you just unlock it without tethering? Not jailbreak, mind, just unlock it to a different network.

Apologies if this is a silly question, I'm not the best at these things!

HQvhs wrote: »
    Just a quick question? I've read through the thread and I'm just wondering, with a post week 40 iPhone, can you just unlock it without tethering? Not jailbreak, mind, just unlock it to a different network.

Yup, just got a week 38 iPhone from Santa. Had it jailbroken, unlocked and working on a Meteor sim in minutes. Have turned it on and off and no problems !

HQvhs wrote: »

To unlock you need to jb 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stevodebevo

Hi ,
    When i go to access internet on my iPod touch it asks me for a password to join the network . Does anybody know how or where i can obtain this password ??
    Tks:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Hi ,
    When i go to access internet on my iPod touch it asks me for a password to join the network . Does anybody know how or where i can obtain this password ??
    Tks:confused::confused::confused:

Are you using the touch on a wifi network e.g at home

Advertisement