Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Auvers wrote: »
    do I have to put at this entry into the host file

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

to install an earlier firmware version?
    yes if you want to restore to any firmware that you have blobs for

also make sure you restore to the 'cooked' firmware because if you use the official one the bb will get upgraded with no way to downgrade

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

hi folks

a quick question

I am currently on a bill phone with meteor,,

i have swaped my billphone to a friend for an iphone and wish to jailbreak the iphone,, so i want to know

if i jailbreak the iphone,, does that effect my service,, as in,, can i still make my calls as usual, or can you only use pay as you go sims?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Doesnt matter if you use a Pay as you go Sim or a bill pay sim

thats grand so,,,

so there will be no difference in service?

ill still be able to make my calls/texts/3g ??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

No differance what so ever

brilliant, thanks,..

wonder why everyone doesnt do it so, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

* because it makes the phone slower.
    * drains battery life more quickly.
    * some people don't need to jailbreak.
    * very little gain for the hassle involved.
    * potentially cutting your software upgrade path with apple.
    * running extra code in background constantly to keep jailbreak alive.
    * there's no one standard body (like apple) looking at the code that's being produced for jailbroken apps, this leads to buggy/shoddy apps that are a chore to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The only reason I would jailbreak is to unlock the phone, but other than that, while I do see benefits, nothing major that isn't covered by iOS 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭celsy

I have recently upgraded jailbroken phone to firmware 4.3.5. I didnt save SHSH files beforehand unfotunately. So is there anyway to downgrade without this and get my jailbreak back? I saw some mention that using tinyumbrella you can still downgrade to 4.1 because apple still sign this firmware...

http://iphoneism.com/2011/08/06/save-ios-4.1-shsh-blobs-apple-sign-firmware/

I tried to download the firmware and restore phone using 4.1. but I got an error "because firware is incompatible". I followed usual steps using tinyumbrella etc.

Does anyone have any idea? Or is there no hope!

• Advertisement

no way to downgrade unless you have shsh, apple stopped signing 4.1 months ago

Thanks, when I open tinyumbrella I do see a SHSH file for 4.1 however I don't think I ever saved one so I'm not sure where it came from. I don't know whether this will be able to help me in anyway?

straight after a jailbreak cydia used to ask if you wanted to save shsh but i think it does it autmatically now

go to iclarified.com and download the correct ipsw, 4.1 for a 3gs wont work on a 4 and vice versa, start tinyumbrella and click start tss server and leave the program open. put the iphone in DFU mode, itunes should start automtically and say it has found an iphone in recovery mode, the screen on the iphone should be black, hold shift and click restore, find the ipsw yu downloaded and double click it

after it's done it will prob give a 10xx error but go back to tinyumbrella and click exit recovery and it should be ok

Thanks again for help. When I try this I get an error saying "the iPhone could not be restored because the firmware file was corrupt". Is this the usual error MSG for no SHSH files backed up or do you think the download from Iclarified might be corrupt?

what iphone have you got and what ipsw did you download

I have Iphone 3GS and downloaded iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore

thats the right one, try downloading it again
    have you got tss server running aswell

Yep had tss running. Wont even restore to 4.3.5 now, getting error 3194. Cant use it all now, this isnt going well

Edit: fixed 3194 error, will try to download 4.1 firmware again and see if any better

OK so it seemed to get the whole way through and got the 10xx error as you said, however when I click the "exit recovery" option in tinyumbrella it just restarts phone in recovery mode. Do I need to run fixrecovery? Or is that only for the newer firmware?

Try fix recovery. if that doesn't work have abllok over the last few pages for a fix that I posted. There is 2 files to download and then run a program

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Hi all,

Recently got an upgrade to iPhone4, 16Gb from VF. Want to give it to the gf to use, what is my best option to unlock it?

I didn't need to activate it, it just worked for some reason...

Baseband 04.10.01
    OS 4.3.3

Technologically capable, just an Apple retard. :)

coolmoose wrote: »
    Hi all,

Recently got an upgrade to iPhone4, 16Gb from VF. Want to give it to the gf to use, what is my best option to unlock it?

I didn't need to activate it, it just worked for some reason...

Baseband 04.10.01
    OS 4.3.3

Technologically capable, just an Apple retard. :)
    The only way to unlock it is ask vodafone

guil wrote: »
    The only way to unlock it is ask vodafone

Any gevey sim option for this baseband?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

coolmoose wrote: »
    Any gevey sim option for this baseband?

yes gervey will work no probs

massy086 wrote: »
    yes gervey will work no probs

Any particular one I should buy? Might have luck with VF yet, waiting to hear back. If not, I'll be buying a gevey later today.

Thanks for the help!

forgot all about the gevey sim, bear in mind though that when IOS 5 is realeased it will more than likely block it though

Ya I'd say she won't be too concerned with updating to iOS5 anytime soon anyway, wants the phone moreso for a few medical apps for college and the ability to carry around PDFs and CHMs.

Still cant get phone out of recovery mode. I think I have tried everything. Anyone else have problems with "exit recovery" in tinyumbrella? It just restarts phone but always with the connect to iTunes screen.

tinyumbrella cant get you out of recovery on 4.3.3 and above, you need to use the tool i linked to and put the tool and the second file in the same folder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

celsy wrote: »
    Still cant get phone out of recovery mode. I think I have tried everything. Anyone else have problems with "exit recovery" in tinyumbrella? It just restarts phone but always with the connect to iTunes screen.

Why not leave it in recovery mode and jailbreak through your pc using redsn0w. I did this and it worked.

Advertisement