Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Hi Guys, I received a 2nd hand iPhone 3GS 4.3.3 that I want to jailbreak.

I started using iClarified and did all I need to do and when I download spirit jailbreak it says to me ''Device iPhone 3GS (4.3.3) is not supported''

Any ideas what I need to do? I have never used an iPhone so this is all new to me, but I just can't find any info about what I need to do

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

ChewChew wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I received a 2nd hand iPhone 3GS 4.3.3 that I want to jailbreak.

I started using iClarified and did all I need to do and when I download spirit jailbreak it says to me ''Device iPhone 3GS (4.3.3) is not supported''

Any ideas what I need to do? I have never used an iPhone so this is all new to me, but I just can't find any info about what I need to do

go to http://www.jailbreakme.com on the iPhone.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

ok, i'm being asked for password to unlock the backup file... anyone any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

ChewChew wrote: »
    ok, i'm being asked for password to unlock the backup file... anyone any ideas??

go to http://www.jailbreakme.com on the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭moggser

Is the lateses firmware jailbreakable and unlockable for the iPhone four

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

moggser wrote: »
    Is the lateses firmware jailbreakable and unlockable for the iPhone four
    yes and no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭moggser

guil wrote: »
    yes and no

Cheers i was looking at this Gevey sim here it seems cheap considering that they are 35 yo yo in town will this do the trick ?

moggser wrote: »
    Cheers i was looking at this Gevey sim here it seems cheap considering that they are 35 yo yo in town will this do the trick ?
    i haven't a clue about the gevey sims but a friend got one for around a fiver on ebay and it worked fine till he sold the iphone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Tefral

Iphone 3GS with firmware 4.3.1

I want to restore my phone to factory settings, however when I go to restore it wants me to update also.

So i downloaded Firmware 4.3.1 from ISPW, pressed shift and clicked restore and loaded the downloaded firmware, it then extracted the file. When it got to the part where it was to load it it then said unknown error 3194.

Fecking thing is wrecking my head, i tried the apple things to do when you get the stop code but it wouldnt work. Any ideas?

Want to keep the firmware so I can use jailbreakme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Try visiting jailbreakme.com from your iPhone failing that redsn0w can jailbreak 4.3.1 all you need to do is download the IPSW

• Advertisement

justryan wrote: »
    Try visiting jailbreakme.com from your iPhone failing that redsn0w can jailbreak 4.3.1 all you need to do is download the IPSW

Problem is I cant just restore my phone and keep my 4.3.1 it tells me I have to update.

cronin_j wrote: »

Problem is I cant just restore my phone and keep my 4.3.1 it tells me I have to update.

Don't use iTunes download redsn0w and the 4.3.1 firmware for 3GS here:

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Don't use iTunes download redsn0w and the 4.3.1 firmware for 3GS here:

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

you need itunes to initiate the process?

Not at all redsn0w will flash the firmware and jailbreak just make sure you download the 4.3.1 IPSW for iPhone 3GS redsn0w will prompt you to put the iPhone in DFU mode to start the process

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moycullen14

I have jailbroke and unlocked an ATT 3gs (4.3.5) (from the states) and it connects to O2 fine.

Followed the instructions on

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1211718

which were excellent and it all worked flawlessly using apple macbook.

One thing not included was to remove the host entry from /etc/hosts for
    127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

Not at all redsn0w will flash the firmware and jailbreak just make sure you download the 4.3.1 IPSW for iPhone 3GS redsn0w will prompt you to put the iPhone in DFU mode to start the process

I did this and all it did was re-jailbreak my phone is didnt wipe the phone clear or anything.

Right Ive narrowed it down to somehow when itunes tried to verify the ISPW it is not reaching the Apple Server.

This is NOT a problem with my computer rather something got to do with either the file (ISPW) or my phone. Is there someplace on an Iphone or within the unpacked ISPW that determines where it looks for to verify the software?

Right Ive narrowed it down to somehow when itunes tried to verify the ISPW it is not reaching the Apple Server.

This is NOT a problem with my computer rather something got to do with either the file (ISPW) or my phone. Is there someplace on an Iphone or within the unpacked ISPW that determines where it looks for to verify the software?

If you are using iTunes with shift-click and selecting the IPSW you will need a signed SHSH blobs of your current firmware, PM me for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moycullen14

If you are using iTunes with shift-click and selecting the IPSW you will need a signed SHSH blobs of your current firmware, PM me for more information.

Bypassing the Overlord
    To this end, I have constructed a server that duplicates the functionality exposed by Apple's signature server, except using "on file" results rather than live requests.
    All we need, then, is to make iTunes use it. Luckily, most operating systems also have the ability to locally define bypasses on specific hostnames through a file called hosts. Using this, we can redirect requests to Apple's signature server to Cydia.
    So, open the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file.
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    Now, when iTunes thinks it is talking to Apple, it is talking to Cydia instead. Doing this will allow iTunes to access signatures already stored by Cydia's "on file" feature.
    This server will also act as a cache for any SHSH blobs it hasn't seen, acting as an intermediary to Apple's server. This effectively registers your device with the "on file" mechanism, which means you can now enjoy the protections of being able to downgrade your firmware in the future even if you aren't jailbroken.

Bypassing the Overlord
    To this end, I have constructed a server that duplicates the functionality exposed by Apple's signature server, except using "on file" results rather than live requests.
    All we need, then, is to make iTunes use it. Luckily, most operating systems also have the ability to locally define bypasses on specific hostnames through a file called hosts. Using this, we can redirect requests to Apple's signature server to Cydia.
    So, open the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file.
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    Now, when iTunes thinks it is talking to Apple, it is talking to Cydia instead. Doing this will allow iTunes to access signatures already stored by Cydia's "on file" feature.
    This server will also act as a cache for any SHSH blobs it hasn't seen, acting as an intermediary to Apple's server. This effectively registers your device with the "on file" mechanism, which means you can now enjoy the protections of being able to downgrade your firmware in the future even if you aren't jailbroken.
    copy paste from saurik's website
    cronin you need shsh blobs to restore to any firmware that apple has stopped signing, download [URL=
    http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/]tiny umbrella[/URL] and run it with the iphone connected, click on save my shsh and it will check sauriks server for any blobs for any firmwares, there is a good chance you saved them after you originally jailbroke the phone

if you have blobs for 4.3.1 click on start tss server in tinyumbrella, leave it running and start itunes, go to the iphone and hold shift and click update and find the ipsw

let it do its thing and it will prob give a 10xx error at the end, go back to TU and click exit recovery, if the phone just keeps rebooting in recovery click on fix recovery if that doesnt work post back here and i'll tell you what to do

• Advertisement

I told cronin_j to use iFaith to extract the SHSH Blobs, then sign the IPSW and shift-click restore in iTunes, this does the same job as tinyumbrella.

theres no need to extraxt anything and all tinyumbrella does is edit your host file to point the itunes check to sauriks server

guil wrote: »
    theres no need to extraxt anything and all tinyumbrella does is edit your host file to point the itunes check to sauriks server

tinyumbrella and iFaith do virtually the same job it's down to your own preference, but either way you do need to extract the SHSH blobs and sign the IPSW before restoring in iTunes if you want a fresh install and to preserve the current firmware.

tinyumbrella and iFaith do virtually the same job it's down to your own preference, but either way you do need to extract the SHSH blobs and sign the IPSW before restoring in iTunes if you want a fresh install and to preserve the current firmware.
    your missing the point, the only reason i suggested using tinyumbrella was because its the easiest way to see if cydia has the blobs, after that it isnt needed. you can just edit the host file yourself because thats exactly what the tss server does

i've never heard of ifaith before now and just looked it up, i may try it cos it seems promising

I did as Just Ryan said and that got me further along. But then I got another error 15xx.

Then my fecking phone was stuck in recovery mode. I tried all the programs to fix including tiny umbrella (that was giving out about C++) and wouldnt work.

Then tried Zlib and Fixrecovery43... this failed also saying it was giving up.

Ended up getting angry and just let itunes upgrade and restore. so now im running 4.3.5 sickened.

I dunno if i can even jailbreak this as I havent looked into it properly.
    :mad:

I did as Just Ryan said and that got me further along. But then I got another error 15xx.

Then my fecking phone was stuck in recovery mode. I tried all the programs to fix including tiny umbrella (that was giving out about C++) and wouldnt work.

Then tried Zlib and Fixrecovery43... this failed also saying it was giving up.

Ended up getting angry and just let itunes upgrade and restore. so now im running 4.3.5 sickened.

I dunno if i can even jailbreak this as I havent looked into it properly.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Iphone 3GS with firmware 4.3.1

I want to restore my phone to factory settings, however when I go to restore it wants me to update also.

So i downloaded Firmware 4.3.1 from ISPW, pressed shift and clicked restore and loaded the downloaded firmware, it then extracted the file. When it got to the part where it was to load it it then said unknown error 3194.

Fecking thing is wrecking my head, i tried the apple things to do when you get the stop code but it wouldnt work. Any ideas?

Want to keep the firmware so I can use jailbreakme

I had a problem with my 3gs I posted here but got no replies and then ended up posting here: http://modmyi.com/forums/general/775652-frozen-iphone.html

After trying lots of things I got it restored to 4.1. Would this work for you now I wonder.

pbarr wrote: »
    I had a problem with my 3gs I posted here but got no replies and then ended up posting here: http://modmyi.com/forums/general/775652-frozen-iphone.html

After trying lots of things I got it restored to 4.1. Would this work for you now I wonder.

I have my SHSH Blobs saved for 4.3.1 after I used Ifaith like Just Ryan Said but this is a *.Ifaith file not a tinyumbrella file which tiny umbrella doesnt reconise so im at loss as to how I can restore from them...

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

It'll probably be no help but maybe it will but this was the advice i got and it worked just to save you looking through the full thread:
    To verify: iPhone 3GS? Restoring to iOS 4.1? Computer is a PC?
    If you answered yes to all three questions, continue ............

Download Sn0wbreeze version 2.1, iOS 4.1 and Tiny Umbrella (TU) (links below)
    Unzip if needed.
    Open TU, Advanced tab, uncheck 'Set Hosts to Cydia on exit', exit TU.
    Connect the 3GS (if iTunes opens, leave it open. if iTunes closes, leave it closed)
    Run sn0wbreeze, select 4.1 firmware, Simple Mode .... this builds a custom firmware.
    Continue with sn0wbreeze and enter 'pwnd-DFU' mode.
    Open iTunes if necessary, shift/select custom firmware restore with iTunes.
    If iTunes Error 10xx, open TU and use 'exit recovery'.

• Advertisement

pbarr wrote: »

I have my SHSH Blobs saved for 4.3.1 after I used Ifaith like Just Ryan Said but this is a *.Ifaith file not a tinyumbrella file which tiny umbrella doesnt reconise so im at loss as to how I can restore from them...

Follow my instructions to the word you should be able to downgrade as long as you saved the shsh blobs

Advertisement