Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Cronin go and check that your host file has no line with gs.apple.com in it and if it does remove it and save and try again

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

guil wrote: »
    Cronin go and check that your host file has no line with gs.apple.com in it and if it does remove it and save and try again
    Mine looks like this, would it be correct?
    # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
    #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

guil wrote: »
    Mine looks like this, would it be correct?
    # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
    #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    No remove the last 2. The first one with gs.apple is trying to point iTunes to daytime server while the second one is pointing it to your PC. Neither is needed unless you want to downgrade and any update will fail aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Tefral

justryan wrote: »
    Follow my instructions to the word you should be able to downgrade as long as you saved the shsh blobs

I faith doesnt appear to have any facility to do this? Ie. Restore from SHSH blobs.

Or is this a case of retrying the process before with the ifaith "Signed" ISPW?

Ill have to have a look at my Hosts file as this is obviously the cause of all my 16XX and 19XX errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

iFaith will allow you to extract the shsh and sign the ipsw for restoring through iTunes check your hosts file as mentioned earlier you need to have it set so that it's pointing to Saureks server

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Tefral

justryan wrote: »
    iFaith will allow you to extract the shsh and sign the ipsw for restoring through iTunes check your hosts file as mentioned earlier you need to have it set so that it's pointing to Saureks server

Ya ill check that when i return home.. I would have been flying it with your instructions as the process largely handles itself however when the error came up i was stuck with the stupid recovery mode problem as there was no OS on the phone.

Basically on my destop at the moment I have:

Ifaith
    Itunes
    My SHSH Blobs with the Ifaith Prefix
    My Ifaith Constructed IPSW file (fake signed)

So I have all the necessary parts I just need to solve that hosts file issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

so my phone was stuck in DFU and nothing was working. so i took teh plunge and updated to 4.3.5 then downgraded to 4.3.3 so that i could jailbreak.. this was fine except it got stuck in DFU again... tried recovery fix in tiny umbrella and also the stand alone version. neither of which worked. neither did the one in iREB.. the only thing that works is "just boot tethered for now" in redsn0w? which boots the phone and it then works fine...
    but i REALLY do not want a teathered jailbreak. tried to restore to a Custom ipsw with snowbreeze but all this does it leave it stuck in DFU again...

anyone any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

Question folks: I've got a 3GS running on iOS 4.1 but want to upgrade it to 4.3.1. Can't do it through iTunes as they're not sigining it anymore. Is there any other way of updating the firmware besides iTunes? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I have jailbroken 4.0.1, wants to upgrade to 4.3. Am I right in saying that I can then jailbreak again through redsnow? Its a 3gs
    bumpy...anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Having a gevey sim prob with iPhone 4 iOS 4.3.3
    Ran all the steps ok and it seems as if the phone is unlocked as it is registered as Meteor in settings! But in the service bar top of the screen it says no service!
    Anyone any ideas.
    Ran the whole process 3x now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭moggser

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Ran all the steps ok and it seems as if the phone is unlocked as it is registered as Meteor in settings! But in the service bar top of the screen it says no service!
    Anyone any ideas.

have you waited the 15 seconds before dialing the 112

as i had a similar prob but i was to hasty in dialing the number after the accept screen hope that helps
    and are ya sure y ahave the right Gevy for it?

lads a quick one im lookinf to get a iphone 4 and is there any firmware that can be jailbroke then unlocked with out using the gevey?

Anyone any ideas.
    maybe there is no signal wherever you are, the iphone generally has poorer reception than say a nokia
    moggser wrote: »
    lads a quick one im lookinf to get a iphone 4 and is there any firmware that can be jailbroke then unlocked with out using the gevey?
    4.0.2 is the latest stock firmware which can be unlocked, it came with the 01.59.00 baseband
    its possible to update and preserve the baseband using tiny umbrella but if the baseband is anything other than 01.59.00 it can't be unlocked using ultrasn0w

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

if your buying second hand just look for a factory unlocked one there,s plenty on adverts.ie

massy086 wrote: »
    if your buying second hand just look for a factory unlocked one there,s plenty on adverts.ie

Yeah but they are normally dearer then the rest o them

Cheers guilty I might get lucky when.I get one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

massy086 wrote: »

Yeah but they are normally dearer then the rest o them
    Ye but worth it with iOS 5 cuming soon and all future updates. there is tons of iPhone 4.s on adverts know your price and offer on everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I jailbroke and unlocked a 3GS for a family member recently, it was only on 4.0.2 so I used limera1n and it worked fine.

But some time after it froze on them .....and they use iTunes to restore it. I presume it is updated to 4.3.5. Can't check because it won't activate or go past the emergency call screen with the current sim thats in it.

Is it okay to jailbreak it in its current state (unactivated)? I'll be using redsn0w according to the iClarified guide.

And once I jailbreak it, is there an unlock for this version?

Thanks

have you waited the 15 seconds before dialing the 112

as i had a similar prob but i was to hasty in dialing the number after the accept screen hope that helps
    and are ya sure y ahave the right Gevy for it?

I did wait the 15 secs, and it seemed to unlock fine as it registers Meteor!

I didnt realise there were different geveys available. How do i know whats suitable for my 4.3.3

It is possible that there was just no reception in my area, but I always had decent reception at home with my Desire on Meteor!

Any advice?
    Thanks!

Same again. Did all the steps. No service in the top left corner of the iphone even though in settings it sees Meteor!!
    Do i need to enter a 'setup' type meteor number or anything?

Also how long does the call to 112 have to be?? I literally left it 2 seconds, no longer. Does someone ever answer?? Isnt that an emerg number?

That being said i do think the Gevey is working ok. As i said Meteor is unlocked, but just cant find signal!! Dammit!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I jailbroke and unlocked a 3GS for a family member recently, it was only on 4.0.2 so I used limera1n and it worked fine.

But some time after it froze on them .....and they use iTunes to restore it. I presume it is updated to 4.3.5. Can't check because it won't activate or go past the emergency call screen with the current sim thats in it.

Is it okay to jailbreak it in its current state (unactivated)? I'll be using redsn0w according to the iClarified guide.

Thanks

I don't think 4.3.5 can be jailbroken.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭touchwood

I really want to get the sky go app but it says I need 4.2 or higher. If I update will my phone be locked again and can I get unlock it and jail break it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

pbarr wrote: »
    I don't think 4.3.5 can be jailbroken.

Redsnow should be ok, according to iclarified.

Thanks
    you wont be able to activate it unless you use limera1n again but i doubt that will work on 4.3.5
    also you wont be able to unlock it unless you use redsn0w to install the ipad baseband, there is some problems using the ipad baseband but there is no other alternative to unlock it

Same again. Did all the steps. No service in the top left corner of the iphone even though in settings it sees Meteor!!
    Do i need to enter a 'setup' type meteor number or anything?

Also how long does the call to 112 have to be?? I literally left it 2 seconds, no longer. Does someone ever answer?? Isnt that an emerg number?

That being said i do think the Gevey is working ok. As i said Meteor is unlocked, but just cant find signal!! Dammit!!

right turn the phone on wait till you see the accept screen press accept

then wait the 15 seconds lol

dial 112 then wait for it to connect then hang up immediately

go to settings and flick to airplane mode

wait till it flashes up no sim card installed or something to that effect

click ok on that prompt and flick airplane mode to off

then you should get a pop up saying sim failure click ok on that then few seconds later it should be good to go

Cheers - I've done all of those steps 5x now and still it wont give me reception on Meteor :(

Some updates though.
    1 - How long should one ring 112 for? I've left the call going for 2 seconds sometimes, and 2 minutes other times. Sometimes someone answers the call and asks me what service do i want at which time i hang up. Other times - nothing happens at all

2 - Apparently its a bad idea to have a simlock password on. Take that off!

3 - After calling 112, i get an message on my iphone - 'Your cellular network is restricted - you can select another in settings' - anyone get this? What does it mean?

4 - Now, im gettting Meteor written in the top left of my iphone screen, but all the service bars are empty - ie service is 0. Previously with my Desire i could make calls in the house :(

5 - Now when i put my sim back into my Desire, it wont connect to the Meteor network!! Has something changed in my simcard since i started using it on my gevey & iphone?

6 - my sim is just a standard size sim that i cut down manually with a scissors

Any help?

go get a micro sim, afaik meteor dont charge for them

Cheers - I've done all of those steps 5x now and still it wont give me reception on Meteor :(

Some updates though.
    1 - How long should one ring 112 for? I've left the call going for 2 seconds sometimes, and 2 minutes other times. Sometimes someone answers the call and asks me what service do i want at which time i hang up. Other times - nothing happens at all

no longer then from the instant it connects hang up straight away :)
    2 - Apparently its a bad idea to have a simlock password on. Take that off!
    yeah take the sim lock off it slows things down also

3 - After calling 112, i get an message on my iphone - 'Your cellular network is restricted - you can select another in settings' - anyone get this? What does it mean?

it means its not worked right as its still carrier locked
    4 - Now, im gettting Meteor written in the top left of my iphone screen, but all the service bars are empty - ie service is 0. Previously with my Desire i could make calls in the house :(

well that seems like you had it working there for a second but iphones can have very poor reception as regarding say a blokia phone would have

5 - Now when i put my sim back into my Desire, it wont connect to the Meteor network!! Has something changed in my simcard since i started using it on my gevey & iphone?

not likely bar the fact that you cut the sim up and it wont read it right a little fiddle with it might get it going but thats the reason it wont work in ya desire
    6 - my sim is just a standard size sim that i cut down manually with a scissors

see above answer
    Any help?

repeat all steps from my earlier post and remember to follow them carefully and slowly also make sure after every failed attept turn the phone off to restart it again :)

My cut up sim is being read right in the Desire as my coverage is 3 bars, and i can read my contacts that are stored on the sim only...

Also with the Desire i get a burst of it working, and get my SMS's from the last few hours. But then it stops working again. This is in spite of the fact that i haveminimum of 3 bars coverage at all times!!

I will get a micro-sim though

About the 112 dialing again... Who does it connect to? What if it never connects?

• Advertisement

your not supposed to let it connect dont worry about it
    was just a preset number by whom ever it was that made the gevey sim's

it will make life a little easier with a micro sim they are free as Guil said also when ya do ask the shop to read your old sim so ya can keep ya contacts and that

Advertisement