Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Desire is back working again.
    Help from here: http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=359&st=80
    Turning off automatic network, and going back to 2g only also helped...

Maybe something like that would at least get me up and running on the iphone...
    We'll see tonight...
    Thanks again Guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

guil wrote: »
    you wont be able to activate it unless you use limera1n again but i doubt that will work on 4.3.5
    also you wont be able to unlock it unless you use redsn0w to install the ipad baseband, there is some problems using the ipad baseband but there is no other alternative to unlock it

The phone was an O2 contract phone and they got it off someone who cancelled their contract.

So will it activate if I get a lend of an O2 sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

yeah any o2 sim will activate it

• Registered Users Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Have a 3GS running a quite out-dated at this stage 4.2.1 with FW 05.15.04.

Have it jailbroken.. but need it unlocked.

Best way to do it?

only way to unlock is to install the ipad baseband but the gps and battery wont work properly

• Advertisement

only way to unlock is to install the ipad baseband but the gps and battery wont work properly
    Balls.. am stuck on O2 so! :(

Basq wrote: »
    Balls.. am stuck on O2 so! :(
    you could use a gevey sim but i havent a clue how to use them and i only just remembered about them now ha

Will look them up. Thanks guil.

Yes - you could use a gevey sim...
    Im trying to get one working on MEteor with 4.3.3, but no luck yet :(

Damn this Gevey anyway,...
    Followed this exactly 10x now, and still no reception on Meteor, even though the iphone 4.3.3 seems to unlcok to Meteor and says its on Metoer network!

In the middle of the Gevey pricedure, a little flash box comes up saying Network is unlcoked or something to that effect... Anyone get anything like that?

• Advertisement

The message it gives after toggling Airplane mode is:
    1 - Sim Failure
    2 - Restricted Network - Your selected cellular network is restricted. You can chose a different network in Settings

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭guest2003

Hi, have jailbroken my iphone 3G with redsnow but cannot seem to unlock it!

The version is 3.0 (7A341), firmware 05.14.02.

Also Cydia keeps getting stuck on "loading data"? I can clean up the var files with iphone explorer but they reappear when i reopen cydia.......

So what can i do????? Its starting to stress me out......

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Right so. Can someone just answer me honestly here.

My iPhone 4 is firmware 4.3.3 and Modern Firmware 4.10.01. Can I unlock it?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Yes you can.... i have an iphone 4 with the same settings. As far as i know it can only be unlocked using gevey sim. I got one on ebay really cheap....think it was around €5 delivered. You need to jailbreak the phone first. I used ultrasn0w program to do this. Just google it and im sure ul be able to figure out what you need to do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭moggser

Dr Nic wrote: »
    The message it gives after toggling Airplane mode is:
    1 - Sim Failure
    2 - Restricted Network - Your selected cellular network is restricted. You can chose a different network in Settings

I'm not ure of this yet dr nic but I don't think the gevey supports
    and is your phone jailbroke yet?? That's a factor too
    If your local I'll have a look at it for ya

EDIT sorry upon looking at the details of the one i used it DOES unlock the 4.3.3 it also might be a possibility that the gevey you got might be damaged

coach22 wrote: »

Yes you can.... i have an iphone 4 with the same settings. As far as i know it can only be unlocked using gevey sim. I got one on ebay really cheap....think it was around €5 delivered. You need to jailbreak the phone first. I used ultrasn0w program to do this. Just google it and im sure ul be able to figure out what you need to do
    Ultrasn0w isn't a jailbreak. It's the software unlock from the iPhone dev team and won't work on an iPhone 4 with any baseband other than 01.59.00

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Ultrasn0w isn't a jailbreak. It's the software unlock from the iPhone dev team and won't work on an iPhone 4 with any baseband other than 01.59.00

Right I just checked what I used to do the jailbreak there and it was sn0wbreeze. Sorry about that got mixed up between the 2

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before but its a mammoth forum tbf....

I have a Jailbroken 3gs on 3.1.3 at the moment. I did the jailbreak using jailbreakme and got Cydia to "make my life easier". I have backed up my phone and am ready to go!

Is there a nice simple way to update it to 4.0 or something similar? I doubt I can update my iphone through itunes to the latest settings but I'm sure there is a way that doesn't take a technological wizz kid to be able to do.

Any help much appreciated. (I'll be popping out for a while so don't be offended if I don't reply for a while. Hopefully I have given all the info you need)

golfman wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before but its a mammoth forum tbf....

I have a Jailbroken 3gs on 3.1.3 at the moment. I did the jailbreak using jailbreakme and got Cydia to "make my life easier". I have backed up my phone and am ready to go!

Is there a nice simple way to update it to 4.0 or something similar? I doubt I can update my iphone through itunes to the latest settings but I'm sure there is a way that doesn't take a technological wizz kid to be able to do.

Any help much appreciated. (I'll be popping out for a while so don't be offended if I don't reply for a while. Hopefully I have given all the info you need)
    when did you jailbreak it and tap make my life easier

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

when did you jailbreak it and tap make my life easier

I jailbroke it about a year ago.

• Advertisement

open cydia and across the top of the screen it should say shsh on file for x firmware, if 4 is there you can update to it

first you need to download tinyumbrella and IOS 4 from iclarified.com
    start tiny umbrella and connect the iphone, click start tss server and then go to itunes but leave tinyumbrella open

click on the iphone and while holding the shift key click update, it will ask you to find the ipsw you downloaded, click on that and let it update
    if you get a 10xx error go back to TU and click exit recovery and that should be it

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Not very up on the iPhone scene, the brother is looking at a 3GS locked to vodafone, what are the chances of it being unlockable?

Thanks

check the modem firmware, its in settings>general>about
    if its higher than 05.13.04 it's unlockable unless the ipad baseband is installed but doing so will affect the battery and GPS

it's also possible to unlock using a gevey sim but i've no experience on doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Brian017

If I get a new iphone what firmware would it be out of the box?

don't mix up firmware version and modem firmware

not sure what firmware would be on a new iphone but i'd say 4.2.1 at the very least

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sweetiepie

Hi, sorry if this is written elsewhere in this thread but I couldn't find it. I have just switched to meteor and got an iphone 4. I was previously with O2 and my contract is finished with them. I am going to sell my iphone 3gs to a friend of a friend and they want me to get the phone unlocked. Do I get o2 to do that? I have reset the phone so all my info is off it but I'm just wondering do I sell the phone with my old sim or do I take the sim out? Thanks in advance for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭touchwood

hopefully someone can help, my phone is jailbroken and unlocked, i want to update to 4.2 or higher, is there a way to do it without locking the phone again? the guy that unlocked it for me before has moved away and im not really up to speed with it all. any help would be great. tghanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

sweetiepie wrote: »
    Hi, sorry if this is written elsewhere in this thread but I couldn't find it. I have just switched to meteor and got an iphone 4. I was previously with O2 and my contract is finished with them. I am going to sell my iphone 3gs to a friend of a friend and they want me to get the phone unlocked. Do I get o2 to do that? I have reset the phone so all my info is off it but I'm just wondering do I sell the phone with my old sim or do I take the sim out? Thanks in advance for your help!

If you're out of contract from O2 then they should be able to unlock it for with with no problems. No need to give your old sim when selling it.
    touchwood wrote: »
    hopefully someone can help, my phone is jailbroken and unlocked, i want to update to 4.2 or higher, is there a way to do it without locking the phone again? the guy that unlocked it for me before has moved away and im not really up to speed with it all. any help would be great. tghanks.

I had the same situation just last week. I was on 4.1 and I used Sn0wbreeze to generate a custom 4.3.3 firmware and was able to upgrade using that (Doing a shift-restore in iTunes) . But make sure to back-up your phone first because when you upgrade you lose all the info on your phone contacts, messages etc. But once you have the firmware upgrade done you can use iTunes to restore your phone settings, contacts etc. via the back-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Hi Folks,

Sorry if this has been covered, but I am just lost with all this new teccie jargon.

I have an iPhone 4 Firmware 4.3 and it has a tethered jailbreak, Redsn0w. However, the computer originally used to do the jailbreak and backup etc has since met its maker (a cup of coffee).

I want to remove the jailbreak or replace it with an untethered one, but I am at a loss on what to do. Can anyone please advise?

P.S.
    I don't mind wiping it as I have a copy of my photos and I can get my calendar and contacts when I sync with outlook.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

prospect wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Sorry if this has been covered, but I am just lost with all this new teccie jargon.

I have an iPhone 4 Firmware 4.3 and it has a tethered jailbreak, Redsn0w. However, the computer originally used to do the jailbreak and backup etc has since met its maker (a cup of coffee).

I want to remove the jailbreak or replace it with an untethered one, but I am at a loss on what to do. Can anyone please advise?

P.S.
    I don't mind wiping it as I have a copy of my photos and I can get my calendar and contacts when I sync with outlook.

Thanks

If you don't mind losing the jailbreak then you can just update the firmware, using iTunes, to the newest official firmware 4.3.5. But you can forget about jailbreaking it if you do this.

Alternatively, use Sn0wbreeze to create a custom firmware and do a shift restore in iTunes to jailbreak untethered on 4.3, but you will lose all your info on the phone doing it this way.

Advertisement