Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I asked this yesterday on the ATV thread but havent had any replies yet so I'll try here, I'm currently not able to JB my ATV2.

ATV2 crashed on me during a video add on procedure earlier, I had to restore the ATV2 through the PC, green poison isn't jailbreaking the ATV for me, I have tried it loads of times.

Can I jail break if I update the software to the latest version of 4.3?

If not are there any other Windows based solutions out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Trevor O wrote: »
    If you don't mind losing the jailbreak then you can just update the firmware, using iTunes, to the newest official firmware 4.3.5. But you can forget about jailbreaking it if you do this.

Alternatively, use Sn0wbreeze to create a custom firmware and do a shift restore in iTunes to jailbreak untethered on 4.3, but you will lose all your info on the phone doing it this way.

I don't mind losing the jailbreak, I just want to lose the tethered reboot....

Eh, any chance on a quick hint on how to create custom firmware on sn0wbreeze?
    I googled it and get a site ih8sn0w with links to downloads, but am not sure what to do. There is no 4.3 download.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

prospect wrote: »
    I don't mind losing the jailbreak, I just want to lose the tethered reboot....

Eh, any chance on a quick hint on how to create custom firmware on sn0wbreeze?
    I googled it and get a site ih8sn0w with links to downloads, but am not sure what to do. There is no 4.3 download.

Just double-checked my phone there. I jailbroke to 4.3.3 using this one:

sn0wbreeze v2.7.3 (For iOS 4.2.8/4.3.3)

You can download the official 4.3.3 firmware from here

http://www.geohot.us/2011/05/downloa...ipad-ipod.html

which you will need to create the custom firmware.

Download Sn0wbreeze v2.7.3 from the first link above and run it. The program pretty much tells you what to do. When it's finished, it creates the new custom firmware on the desktop of your PC. Then you go into iTunes, select your phone in the left hand pane, hold shift and click "Restore" on the main screen. This allows you to browse to the custom firmware on the desktop which you created. Select this and let it restore.

Question: Are you using the original sim carrier in the phone? i.e If it was originally O2 are you still using O2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Hi All,

I have iPhone 4 (01.59 baseband) and firmware (4.1.0)

I would like to keep the firmware so I can unlock it in the future if I want to sell it, but I want to update my firmware to latest, anyone know of a tutorial to do this?

thanks in advance

Question: Are you using the original sim carrier in the phone? i.e If it was originally O2 are you still using O2?

Thanks,

Yep, the phone is vodafone and was unlocked by vodafone, and I am still using my original vodafone sim.

• Advertisement

Thanks,

Yep, the phone is vodafone and was unlocked by vodafone, and I am still using my original vodafone sim.

Ok, well your other option so is to just plug your phone into iTunes, select it in the left pane and then hit restore on the main screen. This will update the software to 4.3.5 and just turn your phone back into a regular working iPhone with no jailbreak. But as I said, be careful as there is currently no untethered jailbreak option for 4.3.5 that I'm aware of.

tw0nk wrote: »
    Hi All,

I would like to keep the firmware so I can unlock it in the future if I want to sell it, but I want to update my firmware to latest, anyone know of a tutorial to do this?

thanks in advance

I'd stay away from the latest firmware update at the moment (see the end of my previous post) but you should be able to update to 4.3.3 using Sn0wbreeze. I'm pretty sure there's a baseband preservation option on it. See my last couple of posts to prospect about this.

Ok, well your other option so is to just plug your phone into iTunes, select it in the left pane and then hit restore on the main screen. This will update the software to 4.3.5 and just turn your phone back into a regular working iPhone with no jailbreak. But as I said, be careful as there is currently no untethered jailbreak option for 4.3.5 that I'm aware of.

Thanks,
    I had tried to just do a restore after downloading that ipsw file, but I just get an error each time 3194 I think. I found a site that suggested I add a particular ip address to the hosts file, but that didn't work either.

I'll give your sn0wbreeze a run now and see what happens.

Thanks,
    I had tried to just do a restore after downloading that ipsw file, but I just get an error each time 3194 I think. I found a site that suggested I add a particular ip address to the hosts file, but that didn't work either.

I'll give your sn0wbreeze a run now and see what happens.

Reason you're getting the 3194 error is because Apple are only signing the most recent firmware so, basically, they can see that you're trying to restore to a firmware that's older than the most recent and won't let you.

Changing the hosts file points it to the Cydia server instead of the Apple one but I think you need to have been on that particular firmware previously and saved your SHSH blob for that firmware.

I got the 3194 error too when trying to restore using the regular 4.3.3 ipsw but when I used the custom it worked ok for me. Remember to back-up first though as you'll lose all your info when you restore.

A big thanks to Trevor O, your help is very much appreciated.

I now have sn0wbreeze and have restored my music and apps onto the phone which is running 4.3.3 and most importantly it is now untethered.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

A big thanks to Trevor O, your help is very much appreciated.

I now have sn0wbreeze and have restored my music and apps onto the phone which is running 4.3.3 and most importantly it is now untethered.

Cheers.

You're welcome! Glad to hear it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭touchwood

sweetiepie wrote: »
    Hi, sorry if this is written elsewhere in this thread but I couldn't find it. I have just switched to meteor and got an iphone 4. I was previously with O2 and my contract is finished with them. I am going to sell my iphone 3gs to a friend of a friend and they want me to get the phone unlocked. Do I get o2 to do that? I have reset the phone so all my info is off it but I'm just wondering do I sell the phone with my old sim or do I take the sim out? Thanks in advance for your help!

If you're out of contract from O2 then they should be able to unlock it for with with no problems. No need to give your old sim when selling it.
    touchwood wrote: »
    hopefully someone can help, my phone is jailbroken and unlocked, i want to update to 4.2 or higher, is there a way to do it without locking the phone again? the guy that unlocked it for me before has moved away and im not really up to speed with it all. any help would be great. tghanks.

I had the same situation just last week. I was on 4.1 and I used Sn0wbreeze to generate a custom 4.3.3 firmware and was able to upgrade using that (Doing a shift-restore in iTunes) . But make sure to back-up your phone first because when you upgrade you lose all the info on your phone contacts, messages etc. But once you have the firmware upgrade done you can use iTunes to restore your phone settings, contacts etc. via the back-up.

I have no idea how to do that. Sounds what I'm looking for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

tw0nk wrote: »
    Hi All,

thanks in advance
    I'd stay away from the latest firmware update at the moment (see the end of my previous post) but you should be able to update to 4.3.3 using Sn0wbreeze. I'm pretty sure there's a baseband preservation option on it. See my last couple of posts to prospect about this.
    i'm nearly certain apple introduced some live check when restoring to 4.3 and above that will fail if the baseband is not being upgraded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

thanks Trevor, I will take a look at snowbreeze!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sweetiepie

If you're out of contract from O2 then they should be able to unlock it for with with no problems. No need to give your old sim when selling it.

Thanks a million Trevor.

i stand corrected, it seems sn0wbreeze preserves the baseband no matter which option you pick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Ok so i've given up on getting my Gevey Pro to unlock 4.10.01 baseband on my jailbreakme.com unlocked 4.33

So what other options are there? Can i downgrade my baseband to an older unlockable baseband?

Anyone?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Any opinions on how I go about updating my 1st Gen iPhone, running 3.0 to 3.1?

I only need 3.1 as that is what Viber requires. None of your fancy 4.x stuff.

Jailbreakme.com is saying it is too old and I've been reading around and getting more confused as I go.

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Ok so i've given up on getting my Gevey Pro to unlock 4.10.01 baseband on my jailbreakme.com unlocked 4.33

So what other options are there? Can i downgrade my baseband to an older unlockable baseband?

Anyone?
    Thanks!
    nope there's no way to downgrade baseband
    Tom Dunne wrote: »

Jailbreakme.com is saying it is too old and I've been reading around and getting more confused as I go.
    not sure if it will work but have you tried spirt, also is it jailbroken at the moment

guil wrote: »
    not sure if it will work but have you tried spirt, also is it jailbroken at the moment

Yeah, it's jailbroken and carrier unlocked.

Have not come across Spirit yet, will have a look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

My iPhone 4 is currently jailbroken, I want to update it to the latest firmware, but I want to

save all jailbroken apps. So that when I next jailbreak my phone I'll be able to get them

back.

Whats is the name of the app? How much? Where to get it?

Yeah, it's jailbroken and carrier unlocked.

Have not come across Spirit yet, will have a look at it.
    you would have to go 3.1.2 to use spirit

you could use sn0wbreeze to ''cook'' an ipsw and update to that although you might need the shsh blobs, i'm not sure
    http://www.redmondpie.com/sn0wbreeze-jailbreak-iphone-3g-3gs-3.1.2-on-windows-9140328/

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭touchwood

sweetiepie wrote: »
    Hi, sorry if this is written elsewhere in this thread but I couldn't find it. I have just switched to meteor and got an iphone 4. I was previously with O2 and my contract is finished with them. I am going to sell my iphone 3gs to a friend of a friend and they want me to get the phone unlocked. Do I get o2 to do that? I have reset the phone so all my info is off it but I'm just wondering do I sell the phone with my old sim or do I take the sim out? Thanks in advance for your help!

hopefully someone can help, my phone is jailbroken and unlocked, i want to update to 4.2 or higher, is there a way to do it without locking the phone again? the guy that unlocked it for me before has moved away and im not really up to speed with it all. any help would be great. tghanks.

I had the same situation just last week. I was on 4.1 and I used Sn0wbreeze to generate a custom 4.3.3 firmware and was able to upgrade using that (Doing a shift-restore in iTunes) . But make sure to back-up your phone first because when you upgrade you lose all the info on your phone contacts, messages etc. But once you have the firmware upgrade done you can use iTunes to restore your phone settings, contacts etc. via the back-up.

I have no idea how to do that. Sounds what I'm looking for though.

Is there anyone round the bray area that could help me out with this or anyone know where I could get sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

Sorry if this had already been discussed/answered, I have looked back over 12 pages, but I couldn't find anything.
    iPhone locked to O2, want it on Vodafone.
    Details :-
    iPhone 3G 4.1 (8b117 ) Firmware 5.14.02

Is an unlock available ?
    If so, How?
    Are advertised "unlocks" on Boards safe/any good ?

Thanks

Jay

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

disaster

while trying to upgrade my phone(3GS) had just loaded 4.3.5 and 5.16 onto it and i've literally managed to completely snooker myself.
    bought the phone off my brother, now all the phone screen is showing is an itunes logo with a USB cable and in itunes, it wont recognise the sim card cos im on three and he was vodaphone.. but it worked fine the last three months after i had previously unlocked&jailbroken it.

can anyone help with this please? i had it for three months and everything was grand, now its just a lump..

thats the itunes activation screen, stick a vodafone sim in it to activate but you need a gevey sim to unlock it or else use redsn0w to install the ipad baseband

Just an update on this in case it might help anyone.

It was fairly easy in the end - I just let it update via iTunes to 3.13 and then used pwnage tool to jailbreak/unlock.

Now if only I can get Viber to work. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

david75 wrote: »
    disaster

while trying to upgrade my phone(3GS) had just loaded 4.3.5 and 5.16 onto it and i've literally managed to completely snooker myself.
    bought the phone off my brother, now all the phone screen is showing is an itunes logo with a USB cable and in itunes, it wont recognise the sim card cos im on three and he was vodaphone.. but it worked fine the last three months after i had previously unlocked&jailbroken it.

can anyone help with this please? i had it for three months and everything was grand, now its just a lump..

This might work.I got the advice on another forum a few week ago and it worked. If you have no other solution it might be wortha shot and maybe other posters might be able or comment on it.
    It will restore the phone to 4.1

Download Sn0wbreeze version 4.1, iOS 4.1 and Tiny Umbrella (TU) (links below)
    Unzip if needed.
    Open TU, Advanced tab, *uncheck *'Set Hosts to Cydia on exit', exit TU.
    Connect the 3GS (if iTunes opens, leave it open. if iTunes closes, leave it closed)
    Run sn0wbreeze, select 4.1 firmware, Simple Mode .... this builds a custom firmware.
    Continue with sn0wbreeze and enter 'pwnd-DFU' mode.
    Open iTunes if necessary, shift/select custom firmware restore with iTunes.
    If iTunes Error 10xx, open TU and use 'exit recovery'.

that wont work unless they have SHSH saved to cydia, to check the phone needs to be activated first using a vodafone sim and then run tinyumbrella with the phone connected

click save my SHSH and it wil check to see if cydia has backups, if it does all well and good and they can downgrade with or without sn0wbreeze but without the blobs there's no way to downgrade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I didn't know that. Obviously and luckily I must have had the blobs saved.

Advertisement