Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

I have seen this site advertised as "Unlock your phone in minutes"
    Has anyone any experience/knowledge of this site or its ability?

Jay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

So it seems there are lots of fake Geveys out there...
    Anyone recommend a place that sells orig working geveys?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭moggser

i got one fro a friend of mine from here

now just over the weekend gone there i had the same problem that you had with the gevey

it just wouldnt accept the meteor sim to unlock it but it did the vodafone sim but when i used the meteor sim it came up meteor on top but no signal still not sure what the prob is so its left like that and waiting for a software unlock from the good folk make things happen

what i did try tho was 2 different gevy's so i thought it was the fone and not the gevey could still be wrong tho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭moggser

Jay Dee wrote: »
    Hi,

I have seen this site advertised as "Unlock your phone in minutes"
    Has anyone any experience/knowledge of this site or its ability?

Jay

they are normally scams or just charge way to much money for what essentially a free unlock if you are anyway tech minded even if ya not there s loads of guides from here that will help you out

the site is down for maintenance at the mo so check it out later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

So your gevey worked with vodafone sim, but not with meteor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

moggser wrote: »
    i got one fro a friend of mine from here

now just over the weekend gone there i had the same problem that you had with the gevey

it just wouldnt accept the meteor sim to unlock it but it did the vodafone sim but when i used the meteor sim it came up meteor on top but no signal still not sure what the prob is so its left like that and waiting for a software unlock from the good folk make things happen

what i did try tho was 2 different gevy's so i thought it was the fone and not the gevey could still be wrong tho

i was out in this his house and we try,d 20 of his sims and none unlocked .I then bought from a friend who has some and it worked straight away meteor on a uk iphone

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Sold brand new unopened iphone, locked to 3Ireland. Buyer is trying to use with 3 UK but obviously wont work. She is saying it needs a 3 Irl sim to activate it before unlock. Is this correct?
    She's opening an ebay/paypal disputes looking for money back when item was clearly descried as 3irl locked so any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Sold brand new unopened iphone, locked to 3Ireland. Buyer is trying to use with 3 UK but obviously wont work. She is saying it needs a 3 Irl sim to activate it before unlock. Is this correct?
    She's opening an ebay/paypal disputes looking for money back when item was clearly descried as 3irl locked so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thats correct. I'd counter the dispute if you have it marked as 3 Ireland as she's devaued the phone now by openeing it and if you had 3 Ireland stated I can't see how she can complain.

Just to add even if activated with a 3 Ireland sim it still won't then work with a 3UK sim

well with a gervey sim it should work ok

• Advertisement

Once its activated though it can be unlocked easily enough?? Thats all I care about at this stage, she's sending a heap of emails, just want it sorted.

tahnks for the quick reply.

Once its activated though it can be unlocked easily enough?? Thats all I care about at this stage, she's sending a heap of emails, just want it sorted.

As massy said the only way it could be unlocked is using a Gevey sim (type Gevey into Google for more info on how they work)

just send her a 3 sim to activate it you should be able to get 1 free in a 3 store make sure they activate ther sim in store 4 you also

I'll get a 3sim and post it off to her this afternoon

Thanks for the help

(who buys their 10yr old an iphone 4 anyway?)

Costs €10 for a 3 micro sim I think

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MCD.

Probably well covered ground but anyway,

This isnt my first time round but I havent JB'd and unlocked since 4.1 was released so im a little rusty.

Is there currently a Pwnage tool or redsn0w available that can facilitate a JB and unlock for the above.

Having done some quick googling i am left a little confused. I am getting conflicting reports some stating that it can be done by upgrading to 06.15.00, as was the case with 4.1.

However, there are other websites advising that it is not possible.

I have the latest pwnage tool and i also have the pwnage tool that allowed you to update to ipad baseband,

Should i first load a custom 4.3.5 firmware with ipad baseband (from the older pwnage tool) and when that fails load a second custom firmware from the latest pwnage tool?

That made a lot more sense in my head. I know its probably a long shot.

Also redmond pie posted a tutorial for a jailbreak for 4.3.5 but it is only tethered (on the new bootrom). Also I think you may have to already be on the 06.15.00 baseband to get the unlock. Has anyone any experience with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Sherrybomb

Hi, I bought an iPhone on ebay, it's jailbroken and unlocked using a Gevey sim but I can't access the internet. I rang my service provider but they haven't really been able to help. When I first got it I updated it on iTunes and this locked the phone meaning I couldn't use it. I want to restore it or reset the settings to see if it will help access the internet, but I'm worried I'll lose my jailbreak/lock the phone again.
    Anyone have any suggestions or know if it's safe to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Got my issue sorted lads, thanks. Brought it to a Chinese shop n they fixed it. But they wiped the phone.

I got all my music back on manually but is there any way at all I can get all my photos back? Does iTunes do that?

Thanks for the help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭al-pal

Hey.

Looking for some help. Im just back from a holiday in San Francisco. While there i bought an iphone 3gs on Craigslist. Only thing is as soon as i got home i realised its network locked. Im in Limerick and wondering does anyone know any place i can get it network unlocked? Tried contacting the chap i bought it from but no joy.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Just-A-Phase

Hey, I am sure this has been addressed a few times here but couldn't come across anything that is exactly what I need, and bear with me as I am not at all tecky and a complete newbie to apple/jailbreaking etc.

Just got an iphone 3GS unlocked from vodafone to put an o2 sim in it everything was working fine but I accidently updated which seems to have relocked the phone. Itunes tried to restore it but that won't work, the iphone is now stuck on the connect to itunes screen/recovery mode. Can anyone tell me in as basic terms as possible what needs to be done to fix this? I assume it needs to be unlocked again.

Thanks.

Hey, I am sure this has been addressed a few times here but couldn't come across anything that is exactly what I need, and bear with me as I am not at all tecky and a complete newbie to apple/jailbreaking etc.

Just got an iphone 3GS unlocked from vodafone to put an o2 sim in it everything was working fine but I accidently updated which seems to have relocked the phone. Itunes tried to restore it but that won't work, the iphone is now stuck on the connect to itunes screen/recovery mode. Can anyone tell me in as basic terms as possible what needs to be done to fix this? I assume it needs to be unlocked again.

Thanks.
    Hi it can be done by downgrading the phone to version 4.1 and installing the iPad baseband then unlocking it by jailbreaking the phone. To be honest if your not techy at all you'd be best bringing it into a small phone shop somewhere who'd probably do it for around €20.

Your other option would be if you know someone on O2 to get them to ring up O2 and get them to give O2 the IMEI to unlock it. They'll do this if their on contract or if they've topped up by enough

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Thanks.
    Hi it can be done by downgrading the phone to version 4.1 and installing the iPad baseband then unlocking it by jailbreaking the phone. To be honest if your not techy at all you'd be best bringing it into a small phone shop somewhere who'd probably do it for around €20.

Your other option would be if you know someone on O2 to get them to ring up O2 and get them to give O2 the IMEI to unlock it. They'll do this if their on contract or if they've topped up by enough
    there is no need to downgrade to 4.1 to install the ipad baseband, i'd be fairly certain that the poster got the phone unlocked in a shop and the ipad baseband was installed and thats why they can't restore with itunes

guil wrote: »
    there is no need to downgrade to 4.1 to install the ipad baseband, i'd be fairly certain that the poster got the phone unlocked in a shop and the ipad baseband was installed and thats why they can't restore with itunes
    Either way restoring to 4.1 is the easiest option.

Either way restoring to 4.1 is the easiest option.
    explain how

Apple are signing for 4.1. If you get stuck in recovery mode on 4.1 after a restore its easy to kick it out using Tiny Umbrella. Anything over 4.1 and its a lot messier.

no they're not, they don't even sign 4.3 anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

no they're not, they don't even sign 4.3 anymore

I'm pretty sure they are. I had to restore a phone the other day that was on 4.3.3 and was able to do it using stock 4.1, not custom.

Trevor O wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they are. I had to restore a phone the other day that was on 4.3.3 and was able to do it using stock 4.1, not custom.
    are you sure the hosts file wasn't edited, a stock 4.1 would work then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

are you sure the hosts file wasn't edited, a stock 4.1 would work then

It had been edited for a previous downgrade but I changed it back to the original and used the stock and it worked fine.

Advertisement