Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

ultrasn0w isn't a jailbreak, sn0wbreeze, redsn0w and jailbreakme are jb's

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Well i got the yellow gevey. Gevey supreme i think it is.
    Still will not unlock my shagging iphone :(

I think i might redo the jailbreak using ultrasnow this time maybe...
    Anyone any advice?

thats a pity. the yellow gevey works on my one. does it do anything? do u get the gevey instructions even? i used snowbreeze to jailbreak mine. try that....if that doesnt work id say bring it to a shop and try and get it done that way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I've been out of the jailbreaking loop for a while now, has anyone out there found a way to unlock the baseband?

I have an originally AT&T 3GS on 4.0.1 unlocked & jailbroken, working fine on Three, just wondering have any new releases come out that would let me upgrade to 4.3 or newer while keeping the phone unlocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

expecting an ipad 1 in the post tomorrow,afaik its on ios4.2,my question is i want to update it to 4.3.3 so i can use jailbreakme.com on it.
    is there somewhere where i can specifically get 4.3.3 and update the ipad to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

barryd09 wrote: »
    expecting an ipad 1 in the post tomorrow,afaik its on ios4.2,my question is i want to update it to 4.3.3 so i can use jailbreakme.com on it.
    is there somewhere where i can specifically get 4.3.3 and update the ipad to that?

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

• Advertisement

many thanks!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 feeditout

hi all

ive tried lots and read a lot but im stumped

so i got an iphone4 and needed to unlock but I upgraded it to BB 4.10.01 by mistake and knew nothing about blobs & tinyumbrella until it was too late....

so i bought a gevey ultra and tried it today
    it didnt work and ended up dumping the phone into recovery mode
    i have tried shift restore from dfu mode and a 4.3.3 ispw i have saved
    but am getting error 1013, i tried a redsnow 4.1 ispw that i made before

i have also tried the hosts "fix" but to no avail
    so now im in recovery loop (TU wont fix it)
    and my gevey hasnt worked

if i do a regular restore will the gevey still work
    or do the newer os and basebands reject the gevey

any tips welcome

cheers

Well from my knowledge your only option is to restore through iTunes. I had the same error a few months back trying to update a non-jailbroken iPhone 4 to 4.2( alot of people had this problem). Had to # out gs.apple.com file in terminal. Here's a link
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2655717?start=0&tstart=0
    Mac only.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Whats the chances of the DevTeam getting through iOS5 in a reasonable amount of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What's the latest version of iOS that can be jailbroken untethered on a 3GS?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,898 ✭✭✭✭Basq

keane2097 wrote: »
    What's the latest version of iOS that can be jailbroken untethered on a 3GS?
    4.3.4 methinks.

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me/point me towards a guide for getting liveonlinefooty.com & the rte player in XBMC?

iPad is jailbroken and i have XBMC installed,after that im lost!

Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I jailbroke my 3gs about a year ago. I want to update to iOS 5 when it comes out. However, I would prefer to reset the phone competely and set it up as a new phone before installing iOS 5, how do I do it? I presume it's no different to resetting a non jailbroken phone?

BDJW wrote: »
    I jailbroke my 3gs about a year ago. I want to update to iOS 5 when it comes out. However, I would prefer to reset the phone competely and set it up as a new phone before installing iOS 5, how do I do it? I presume it's no different to resetting a non jailbroken phone?
    there's no need to do anything other than update, when it has installed IOS 5 itunes will ask do you want to restore from backup or restore as a new phone

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

guil wrote: »
    there's no need to do anything other than update, when it has installed IOS 5 itunes will ask do you want to restore from backup or restore as a new phone

Does that not lose the unlock if you have unlocked the phone.

pbarr wrote: »
    Does that not lose the unlock if you have unlocked the phone.
    yes it would but there was no mention of a software unlock

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

only wanted to find out for myself...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smndly

Hi guys,

I have an unlocked iphone 3g running 4.2.1 and on the ipad firmware 06.15.00. I had to put use this back when ios4 was newly released. Im wondering can I restore it to factory settings or possibly unlock it using an iphone firmware and a newer version of iOs. It runs ridiculously slowly at the moment. Im scared to try and restore it without getting advice because it thinks its an iPAD!!

smndly wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have an unlocked iphone 3g running 4.2.1 and on the ipad firmware 06.15.00. I had to put use this back when ios4 was newly released. Im wondering can I restore it to factory settings or possibly unlock it using an iphone firmware and a newer version of iOs. It runs ridiculously slowly at the moment. Im scared to try and restore it without getting advice because it thinks its an iPAD!!
    Unless it has the old version boot rom your stuck with no chance to return to an iPhone firmware. Download f0recast and run it with the iPhone connected. If the bootrom is lower than 5.8 you can use fuzzy and to downgrade the baseband

For anyone else reading this will only work on a 3G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Hi, been a while since I read much on jailbreaking etc since vodafone replaced my phone and I lost my jailbreak ability.

Im currently using an iphone 3gs 16gb, with 4.3.4(8K2) version.

is it possible to jailbreak & unlock my phone?

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Hi, been a while since I read much on jailbreaking etc since vodafone replaced my phone and I lost my jailbreak ability.

cheers.

I'm in a similar boat having been given an iPhone 3GS on vodafone running 4.3.5 needing a jailbreak and unlock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

cheers.
    You can downgrade to 4.1 still. You can then install the iPad baseband and then unlock. Instructions for 4.2.1 here which is the same: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-update-iphone-3gs-3g-baseband-to-06.15.00-with-redsn0w-0.9.6b5-for-ios-4.2.1-unlock/

You'll never be able to upgrade the software again though if you install the iPad baseband. If you only need a jailbreak then just downgrade to 4.1.

4.1 is the only version that iTunes will let you downgrade to. You can get it here

You then need to do a restore through iTunes. Turn off your phone. Hold down the home button and connect the USB with iTunes open. Phone should now be in recovery mode. Hold down shift on keyboard and click restore. This will allow you to select the 4.1 firmware file you downloaded. Restore the phone and if it gives you error 1015 use the program Tiny Umbrella to kick the phone out of recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I have a 3GS that I bought secondhand over a year ago. I unlocked it and jailbroke it but i can't remember with what.
    It's still running software version 4.0.1 and modem firmware 05.13.04.
    What is the best software version to update to?
    Can anyone post a link to the jailbrake & unlock for the recommended software version.

Thanks!

D

You can only upgrade to 4.1 or 4.3.5. iOS 5 tomorrow.

I saw something on Redmond Pie saying that the 3GS can be jailbroken on 4.3.3 unthethered but 4.3.5 tethered.
    If I update to 4.3.3 and then run the redsn0w jailbrake, will I lose my unlock?
    If so, what should I use to unlock? Will I need a SIM card from the original service provider?
    Sorry for all the questions...

Apple only currently sign for 4.1 and 4.3.5 so you can only upgrade to these at the moment

Okay, I was just thinking... if my phone is out of warrenty will the original carrier (O2) unlock the phone for me? Then I guess I wouldn't need to jailbrake or unlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

Donie75 wrote: »
    Okay, I was just thinking... if my phone is out of warrenty will the original carrier (O2) unlock the phone for me? Then I guess I wouldn't need to jailbrake or unlock.
    Warranty wouldn't affect the possibility of unlocking or not.

If you meant out of contract, then yes, they will unlock it for you no problem. Just give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

i had a 3gs jailbroken for two years and when i got my iphone 4 i said 'never again'...due to one issue only...keeping the firmware updated....it was so arkward restoring and jailbreaking again and donloading jailbroken apps again and all that.

anyway...my question....when ios5 gets jailbroken (untethered) as it does over the air updates, could this possibly mean that jailbroken ios5 phones could update without restoring....or is that a silly question ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ward670

Over the air updates dont work if your jailbroken on iOS 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

As above basically, I have never done it before so I thought i'd do it today given that if its pointless I can always upgrade to ios 5 later.

So what should I be doing/looking for/downloading apps wise?

The look of the phone hasnt changed but there is now an app called Cydia installed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisement