Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

As above basically, I have never done it before so I thought i'd do it today given that if its pointless I can always upgrade to ios 5 later.

So what should I be doing/looking for/downloading apps wise?

The look of the phone hasnt changed but there is now an app called Cydia installed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Click it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

Carpenter wrote: »
    Click it :D

Not gonna lie....cydia has bamboozled me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Hi, I was on earlier about updating my software on a jailbroken & unlocked 3GS. Well I got in touch with O2 and they unlocked the phone for me. Well when I plug it into itunes this evening it should update and unlock it.
    It says that I need to put in a different sim card for it to work properly. So if I restore it and then update the software and then put in my own vodafone sim will that be okay? I'd like to get rid of the jailbreak & unlock I did last year. Then use the O2 unlock and run it as normal. Will IOS5 run on a 3GS okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Donie75 wrote: »
    Hi, I was on earlier about updating my software on a jailbroken & unlocked 3GS. Well I got in touch with O2 and they unlocked the phone for me. Well when I plug it into itunes this evening it should update and unlock it.
    It says that I need to put in a different sim card for it to work properly. So if I restore it and then update the software and then put in my own vodafone sim will that be okay? I'd like to get rid of the jailbreak & unlock I did last year. Then use the O2 unlock and run it as normal. Will IOS5 run on a 3GS okay?
    Yes when you insert your Vodafone sima nd connect to iTunes it should work.

iOS 5 should be fine on the 3GS i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

After 6 weeks of trying i still havent managed to unlock my 4.10.01 baseband.
    So i ordered the official gevey from applenberry
    Fingers crossed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Does anyone know can ios 5 be jailbroken untethered yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

coach22 wrote: »
    Does anyone know can ios 5 be jailbroken untethered yet?
    It can't. But it can be jailbroken tethered on everything but the iPad 2

Cheers for the info. Is it worth having a tethered jailbreak or should I just wait for an untethered one? Mad to see what ios 5 is like

coach22 wrote: »
    Cheers for the info. Is it worth having a tethered jailbreak or should I just wait for an untethered one? Mad to see what ios 5 is like
    The tethered jailbreak just means you need to connect to PC and run a program to turn it back on if it turns off. Up to you to decide if the effort is worth it or not :)

cool man! we ll im at nothing for the evening so its time to start messing about with jailbreaks and the like!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

hey lads! Anybody have any solid method of fixing a bricked 3gs with the iPad baseband? Got one for free off a friend cos he has given up! Ive tried and tried online with no luck!

Davie89 wrote: »
    hey lads! Anybody have any solid method of fixing a bricked 3gs with the iPad baseband? Got one for free off a friend cos he has given up! Ive tried and tried online with no luck!
    Bricked how?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 scarab47

Hi guys I have a 3gs on baseband 05.13.04. I want to upgrade to IOS 5 and jailbreak and unlock it is this possible to unlock?

scarab47 wrote: »
    Hi guys I have a 3gs on baseband 05.13.04. I want to upgrade to IOS 5 and jailbreak and unlock it is this possible to unlock?
    Yes but not right now. Wait until ultrasn0w is updated to support iOS 5.

See here for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 scarab47

Thanks for that Ill keep my eye on it.

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    Bricked how?

phone is just freezing on the apple logo on start up and going no further!

Davie89 wrote: »
    phone is just freezing on the apple logo on start up and going no further!
    Did you try putting it in DFU mode and restoring it?

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    Did you try putting it in DFU mode and restoring it?

yup been through all that, it has the iPad base band so an official restore won't work! I've tried to restore using a cooked firmware but no luck with that either! I fear its gonna become a paper weight! :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

justryan wrote: »
    Is there anyway to extract the SHSH blobs on a jailbroken iPhone with 4.3.5 firmware?

Quick update on this might be helpful to others, I had iOS 4.3.5 it was completely bricked couldn't find wifi network, bluetooth or even detect the carrier. Had lost all hope in this iPhone until a few minutes ago, so I connected it back to iTunes and sat through the long update process and everything works perfect now! So if you've got a bricked iPhone that you can't restore through normal methods and you don't mind losing Jailbreak functionality I would highly recommend updating to iOS 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭djdunny

Hey guys just wondering if anyone can shed some light on a problem im having at the moment trying to update to iOS5. I am currently using an iPhone 4 GB and it is jailbroken using a tethered jailbreak (redsn0w) which means that if the phone is powered off or restarted it needs to be connected to a PC and booted up from there.

Anyway my problem is when I go to update, iTunes says its preparing my iPhone for the update and then the phone just hangs with the "connect to iTunes" logo.

so obviously its trying to restart the phone or boot it up in recovery or DFU mode but because of the tethered jailbreak it cant.

any ideas on this?

Regards
    Dunny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

djdunny wrote: »
    Hey guys just wondering if anyone can shed some light on a problem im having at the moment trying to update to iOS5. I am currently using an iPhone 4 GB and it is jailbroken using a tethered jailbreak (redsn0w) which means that if the phone is powered off or restarted it needs to be connected to a PC and booted up from there.

Anyway my problem is when I go to update, iTunes says its preparing my iPhone for the update and then the phone just hangs with the "connect to iTunes" logo.

so obviously its trying to restart the phone or boot it up in recovery or DFU mode but because of the tethered jailbreak it cant.

any ideas on this?

Regards
    Dunny

Happened to mine a few minutes ago, fixed the problem by leaving it connected and restarted my machine. When itunes opens I selected it and clicked restore.
    Restore was not working until I had restarted my machine, and I was getting this error like you are seeing on screen.

If the above does not work I would check your hosts file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

it will have a line like gs.apple.com or something like that, redsnow probably changed this to the wrong address so you will need to update this then restart your machine. I'll see if I can find the correct address online

Edit: If the first restart of your laptop does not work, enter gs.apple.com into your browser and hit enter. If you get redirected to anything other than this page http://www.apple.com/404 then you will need to update the apple address in your hosts file to
    17.112.176.11 gs.apple.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭djdunny

cheer colly will give it a try, also anyone know how to disable the iphone backing up every time I try to update. Its seriously doing my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

once jailed, your hosts file is altered...your idevice will not pass verification cause your host file is pointing away from apples servers ( s) ...you will receive pop up messages indicating internal errors / error codes ....colly is correct. edit the host

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Ok, living in america at the moment and I have gotten myself an Iphone 4 on AT&T. Over here the carriers dont unlock phones after the contract and I will be wanting to bring my Iphone home to Ireland with me when I am done here so I will be wanting the phone permanantly unlocked. I also want to upgrade to ios5. What is the best thing for me to do? I have just started to hear about the Grevey sim. Is that what I need? Im completely new to all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye I got an error too because there was an entry in my hosts to gs.apple.com
    Just remove any reference to apple in hosts and it should be fine.

Btw, I just had to close and open itunes again for it to work. If unsure reboot PC as suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Lads I have a 3GS unlocked and jailbroken running on meteor. I'm running ios4.0 is it possible to update to 5.0 without losing everything ??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The jailbreak will be removed so anything connected to that will be lost. Is it unlocked for real or through jailbreak?

Just open itunes and check for new updates. Maybe make an extra backup first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Bit of a n00b question - but how do I back up my music etc from my iPod touch 2G?

Its all gone from my PC as I've reinstalled it that many times, and my iPod is about to die I think.

I'd like to be able to back up everything on it before I try a firmware restore.

BTW I used blackrain to jailbreak it, but I really see no difference..

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

biko wrote: »
    The jailbreak will be removed so anything connected to that will be lost. Is it unlocked for real or through jailbreak?

Just open itunes and check for new updates. Maybe make an extra backup first.
    No its trough cydia on a jailbreak. I bought the phone well over a year and a half ago from adverts and it was jailbroken already.
    Any advice would be a huge help !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭phill106

Do you lose anything this time when you jailbreak ios5? anything not work after? saw some mention of it earlier, but nothing specific.

Advertisement