Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

14murphy wrote: »
    No its trough cydia on a jailbreak. I bought the phone well over a year and a half ago from adverts and it was jailbroken already.
    Any advice would be a huge help !
    If it's not real unlock I'd be wary of updating as it'a a 99% chance it'll lock.
    Apparently ios 5 can now be jailbroken but if I was you I'd wait a week or two to see how successful others were before attempting anything myself.
    Read up on it.

I've a question about tethered jailbreaking which I haven't been able to get a definitive answer for. Does the phone refuse to boot at all if it is not tethered, or is this just required to boot it in a jailbroken state?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Karsini wrote: »
    I've a question about tethered jailbreaking which I haven't been able to get a definitive answer for. Does the phone refuse to boot at all if it is not tethered, or is this just required to boot it in a jailbroken state?

It boots, but it gets jailed again.

gzoladz wrote: »
    It boots, but it gets jailed again.

Hmm, I might be able to live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Karsini wrote: »
    Hmm, I might be able to live with that.

it all depends on what you've downloaded from Cydia...anything like sbsettings etc would mean that it wouldn't.
    The only way I was able to get the iphone to boot without redsnow etc was on a clean jailbroken phone...once I started adding in apps from cydia store it basically locked the iphone up till I booted tethered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,900 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bah.. 3GS on iOS5 rebooted randomly a couple of times this evening after tethered jailbreak and was stuck on Apple logo (only downloaded SBSettings from Cydia).

Off to my bed so can't do a restore it til tomorrow evening.. hope it lasts the day tomorrow! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I'll wait for an untethered jb , cant be dealing with the boot tethered from a pc carry on. Mostly when I switch my phone off its cause theres a problem or I'm on a plane. 9 times out of 10 that coincides with me being nowhere near a pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Ok, I need a little noob help here...

I'm trying to jailbreak an iPhone 3G on iOS 4.2.1 using a Mac. I've downloaded the zip file from the link on page one, but double-clicking to unarchive it just makes another file, redsn0w_mac_0.9.6rc8.zip.cpgz. Double clicking that just starts making duplicate zip files.

According to the tutorial I'm using, the file should extract to create a folder, but it's just looping on these .cpgz files... Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I'm trying to jailbreak an iPhone 3G on iOS 4.2.1 using a Mac. I've downloaded the zip file from the link on page one, but double-clicking to unarchive it just makes another file, redsn0w_mac_0.9.6rc8.zip.cpgz. Double clicking that just starts making duplicate zip files.

According to the tutorial I'm using, the file should extract to create a folder, but it's just looping on these .cpgz files... Am I missing something?

Try it via www.jailbreakme.com. You might be lucky and able to avail of the easiest jailbreak ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Any news on easy update for jailbroken 3GS to ios5 lads ?

• Advertisement

naasrd wrote: »
    Try it via www.jailbreakme.com. You might be lucky and able to avail of the easiest jailbreak ever.

Sadly, it doesn't work on iPhone 3G…

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

i am using redsn0w on a mac as well the file i have is called redsn0w_mac_0.9.9b5.zip try downloading it again and try using extractor the ver i have is 0.6

BrendanD wrote: »
    i am using redsn0w on a mac as well the file i have is called redsn0w_mac_0.9.9b5.zip try downloading it again and try using extractor the ver i have is 0.6

I've tried four or five times now...

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

I've tried four or five times now...

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-178295.html

have a read of this

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

Will cydia have a jailbreak for ios5 on the iPad 2'

New to all this, updated today and lost some apps, only one I really cared about losing is VLC player

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

shamcfc wrote: »
    Will cydia have a jailbreak for ios5 on the iPad 2'

New to all this, updated today and lost some apps, only one I really cared about losing is VLC player
    JB for IP2 will come. Not tommorow....maybe not sunday....but it will come;)

* heres hoping !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

dodzy wrote: »
    JB for IP2 will come. Not tommorow....maybe not sunday....but it will come;)

* heres hoping !!!!

Maybe I'm on the wrong track here let me know if I am as i don't know a lot about jailbreaking.I have an Ipad 2 with ios 4.3.3. A few months ago after reading posts here and elsewhere I went to www.jailbreakme.com and it seems to have worked for me as I have Cydia installed and I can put on any cracked app etc. Is it not jailbroken ?

pbarr wrote: »
    Maybe I'm on the wrong track here let me know if I am as i don't know a lot about jailbreaking.I have an Ipad 2 with ios 4.3.3. A few months ago after reading posts here and elsewhere I went to www.jailbreakme.com and it seems to have worked for me as I have Cydia installed and I can put on any cracked app etc. Is it not jailbroken ?

You are on the right track. It is jailbroken. If you update, you'll lose all those nice things which cydia allows. Either way, when the jb becomes available, and you update, you'll lose them anyway. But at least you'll then be able to get them back!

Ive an iphone 4 and its just the way i like it. It'll take bloody ages to get it back to the way i have it now once i update. But thems the breaks !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Thanks dodzy I suppose I better put off updating it so. Jailbreaking it won't be as easy next time as it was that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dsender

You are on the right track. It is jailbroken. If you update, you'll lose all those nice things which cydia allows. Either way, when the jb becomes available, and you update, you'll lose them anyway. But at least you'll then be able to get them back!

Ive an iphone 4 and its just the way i like it. It'll take bloody ages to get it back to the way i have it now once i update. But thems the breaks !:D

Not sure if you're aware but you can download aptbackup or pkgbackup from cydia and these will take a backup of cydia installs. You can then restore to a similar state after performing an update or system restore. Obviously need to re-jailbreak and have cydia installed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Lads can I jailbreak my iPad 2 ios5 ? Haven't been paying attention to jailbreak scene lately

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Lads can I jailbreak my iPad 2 ios5 ? Haven't been paying attention to jailbreak scene lately

not yet but it's coming soon apparently

dsender wrote: »
    Not sure if you're aware but you can download aptbackup or pkgbackup from cydia and these will take a backup of cydia installs. You can then restore to a similar state after performing an update or system restore. Obviously need to re-jailbreak and have cydia installed...
    Yeah dsender, know them both, cheers. , pkg is superior.....but there is a cost for this app as opposed the freebie (apt). Better that pen and paper for sure ! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Currently on 4.0.1 with baseband 05.13.04 and I'm considering upgrading to iOS 5 but can I downgrade to 4.0.1 and preserve the baseband in the future? I intend to sell this phone when my contract is up.

justryan wrote: »
    Currently on 4.0.1 with baseband 05.13.04 and I'm considering upgrading to iOS 5 but can I downgrade to 4.0.1 and preserve the baseband in the future? I intend to sell this phone when my contract is up.
    Just out of interest, why would you want to downgrade in the future ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

there is no way to upgrade to iOS 5 and preserve the bb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

Is there an unlock out yet on iOS 5? I'm running 4.0.1 & 05.13.04 and haven't been bothered updating lately as I don't want to lose my unlock. But iOS 5 looks nice and the performance on 3GS is supposed to be much improved.
    The unlock is through the jailbreak and don't want a useless phone, I think it's locked to O2 UK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Just out of interest, why would you want to downgrade in the future ?

It's locked to o2 but I've installed ultrasn0w
    through cydia to make it SIM free, I can sell it for a higher price if it's not bound to one network

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

It's locked to o2 but I've installed ultrasn0w
    through cydia to make it SIM free, I can sell it for a higher price if it's not bound to one network
    but it's not ''truly'' sim free, its a software unlock and will be locked as soon as it's upgraded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

guil wrote: »
    there is no way to upgrade to iOS 5 and preserve the bb

of course there is, ive upgraded using redns0w and still have my 01.59.00 baseband. and ultrasn0w has also been updated, so im now unlocked on ios5.

Advertisement