Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

dmn wrote: »
    guil wrote: »
    there is no way to upgrade to iOS 5 and preserve the bb

of course there is, ive upgraded using redns0w and still have my 01.59.00 baseband. and ultrasn0w has also been updated, so im now unlocked on ios5.

How did you preserve the baseband?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

of course there is, ive upgraded using redns0w and still have my 01.59.00 baseband. and ultrasn0w has also been updated, so im now unlocked on ios5.
    I stand corrected. I thought apple added something to 4.3.4 that checked the baseband and failed the restore if the bb was preserved

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

justryan wrote: »

How did you preserve the baseband?

Run the latest version of Redsn0w and choose the "Create IPSW" option. It will create a custom IPSW that doesn't contain the baseband files thus the baseband cannot be updated.

I stand corrected. I thought apple added something to 4.3.4 that checked the baseband and failed the restore if the bb was preserved

They did. However the custom IPSW bypasses the check, letting the restore complete successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    Run the latest version of Redsn0w and choose the "Create IPSW" option. It will create a custom IPSW that doesn't contain the baseband files thus the baseband cannot be updated.

Am I right in that this is Mac only for now?

• Advertisement

beardo81 wrote: »
    Yes that's right, sorry forgot to mention!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

beardo81 wrote: »

redsn0w is only on mac for now. you can still preserve bb and update your ios using sn0wbreeze...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,900 ✭✭✭✭Basq

DYLF wrote: »
    As I said above, my tethered JB on IOS5 was very unreliable (with only SBSettings - which it says is supported - installed).

Got a couple of random restarts on Friday, so went back to a stock iOS5 and it's been fine since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭touchwood

Is it possible to upgrade to new os and keep my phone jailbroken and unlocked???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

So I use redsn0w for iphone 3g on 4.2.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Got my Iphone 4 jailbroken no bother, but there aren't that many good tweaks/features through cydia fully compatible with ios5 yet... slowly getting there.

Hurry up and get TVout working again!

Basq wrote: »
    which it says is supported - installed).
    [

you make a good point... when i looked at it yesterday it said SBSettings wasnt yet supported....
    i think it has been updated though just checked cydia and it mentions intergration for ios5...

Yup.. Sbsettings now working fine on ios 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

DYLF wrote: »
    redsn0w is only on mac for now. you can still preserve bb and update your ios using sn0wbreeze...

I need the unlock too so I'll wait for redsn0w I think.

Should be out in a few days I hope!

Just updated my iPhone 3GS to iOS 5 preserving the baseband to 05.15.04 with sn0wbreeze, can I jailbreak the device with redsn0w to get Cydia and still keep this baseband?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Keep getting 1600 error when trying to jailbreak, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

Does anyone know whether or not phone providers are now blacklisting iphones when they are reported stolen?

I'm looking at getting one on adverts but is say a lot of them that are for sale are as a result of insurance claims.

Is it possible that they can shut it off , or is there a way around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

derv wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether or not phone providers are now blacklisting iphones when they are reported stolen?

I'm looking at getting one on adverts but is say a lot of them that are for sale are as a result of insurance claims.

Is it possible that they can shut it off , or is there a way around this?

Buy a legit iphone,if ypuve ever had one nicked you'll know theres no worse feeling.
    Plus if its legit then you wont have spunked €300-€450 against the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    So I use redsn0w for iphone 3g on 4.2.1?

3g cannot be updated past 4.2.1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Can anyone reccommend a place in NY to buy a wi-fil Ipad 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

Hi guys,

can someone tell me how to unlock an iphone 3g on 4.2.1 with baseband firmware 05.15.04 without the original carriers sim card?
    can this be done?

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nala89

is there a jailbreak available for the iphone 4? i bought a iphone 4 2 days ago that is locked to 3, it had a gevey sim in it that he was using on vodafone, so when i out my meteor sim in it and tried the whole 112 and aiplane mode procedure nothin, meteor came up beside signal bar but no signal came up then it said no service and tried this 100's of times, so i tried 2 other gevey sims in it and still no luck!! so i was wonderind does anybody on here know if there's a jailbreak + unlock available for iphone 4 on 4.3.5 and firmware 04.10.01?

just updated for ios5.. happy days

sandt wrote: »
    Hi guys,

can someone tell me how to unlock an iphone 3g on 4.2.1 with baseband firmware 05.15.04 without the original carriers sim card?
    can this be done?

thanks.

Anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭touchwood

Is there a way to update and keep my iphone4 jailbroken and unlocked?? I'm on version 4.0 and modem firmware 01.59.00.

Anyone???
    it has being answered loads of times before, you need a gevey sim to unlock or else install the ipad baseband with redsn0w but there is some issues so check them out before commiting

it has being answered loads of times before, you need a gevey sim to unlock or else install the ipad baseband with redsn0w but there is some issues so check them out before commiting

Ok do you have a link?

So, what if I had an original carrier sim, say o2uk would it be easier then?

Thanks for your reply.

Ok do you have a link?

So, what if I had an original carrier sim, say o2uk would it be easier then?

Thanks for your reply.
    Just google redsn0w and download and run it. It gives instructions how to use it. If you can though it would be better to use a gevey sim to unlock but it won't work if you update to iOS 5

Never mind the bit about iOS 5. A 3G can't be updated to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Ok asking again cos im a complete dunce to this. Have an iPhone 3GS version(os) 4.0, and baseband which im guessing is the firmware 05.13.04. I bought it off Adverts.ie dont know who its was originally locked too but it came with cydia so, ran a .zip file from here using iFile and got all the meteor codes and stuff and everything worked perfectly. So know I would love to know is it possible to update to ios5 and keep all my stuff and still run with Meteor ?

Advertisement