Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I have a 3GS, which I've jailbroken.

I want to get ios 5 onto the phone now, as I'm selling it on. O2 have arranged with apple to unlock the phone.

So, will all be good if I update the phone through my iTunes? What I mean is, will the unlock apple have performed still be okay when the other person connects it to their iTunes?

Sorry of this is a stupid question, I just don't want to do anything until I'm sure.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nala89

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I have a 3GS, which I've jailbroken.

I want to get ios 5 onto the phone now, as I'm selling it on. O2 have arranged with apple to unlock the phone.

So, will all be good if I update the phone through my iTunes? What I mean is, will the unlock apple have performed still be okay when the other person connects it to their iTunes?

Sorry of this is a stupid question, I just don't want to do anything until I'm sure.:o

phone should be ok, just undo jailbreak, update your itunes and then unlock through your itunes and update to ios 5!!

when you update your itunes you will lose your jailbreak anyway cause it's a different firmware!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

nala89 wrote: »
    phone should be ok, just undo jailbreak, update your itunes and then unlock through your itunes and update to ios 5!!

when you update your itunes you will lose your jailbreak anyway cause it's a different firmware!!

Ah that's good so. I'm happy with losing the jailbreak, it'll not be me using the phone, and I'm as we'll have the latest official firmware on there for when it's sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nala89

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    nala89 wrote: »

Ah that's good so. I'm happy with losing the jailbreak, it'll not be me using the phone, and I'm as we'll have the latest official firmware on there for when it's sold.

no worries, GLWS!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Can anyone reccommend a place in NY to buy a wi-fil Ipad 2?

Yep, the flagship apple store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

No word on an ios5 untethered jb yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

sandt wrote: »
    Anyone???

Doesn't jailbreakme.com do the older versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

mdwexford wrote: »
    Keep getting 1600 error when trying to jailbreak, any ideas?

Gotta admit, I have absolutely no idea what you have done or what you are doing it to.

At a wild guess, If you are using a customised ipsw, put device in pwned dfu mode and jb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Okay, guys, hoping ye can help me with this. I have an jailbroken 3GS that I am trying to update to the latest software. I find I dont really need the jailbreak for the most part....and the phone has been very slow since I did it.

Anyway, when I went to do it I encountered the 3194 error. I did some googling on the problem and found how to resolve this issue.

In here it tells me to change the hosts file by putting "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" at the end of the file.

This meant my hosts file now ended with:
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    ::1 localhost
    74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

Is this definitely correct?

I then continued to follow the instructions and went into DFU mode, but iTunes brought up the error "The iPhone software update server could not be contacted"

I've tried it a few times now to no avail and I can't find a solution online.
    Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

no delete the gs.apple line, that directs itunes to sauriks server for when you want to downgrade on restore to an unsugned firmware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

guys i have an iphone on ios4.01 unlocked on 1.59.00 i want to update without loosing my baseband how do I do so ?

Is updating to ios5 worth it, i heard the battery life sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

guys i have an iphone on ios4.01 unlocked on 1.59.00 i want to update without loosing my baseband how do I do so ?

Is updating to ios5 worth it, i heard the battery life sucks.

Did this very thing last night and it worked fine. I was on 4.3.3 with 01.59.00 and need the unlock so was a little nervous.
    I used latest sn0wbreeze on a windows 7 machine. You don't have to select anything strange when running it; it just will not update your baseband. What it does is take the apple ios5 you've downloaded and creates a custom firmware with cydia already on it. You can do all this without the iPhone being connected. Then you do a shift restore and direct iTunes to the new custome firmware. If you point it the the official ios5 it's bye bye baseband and bye bye unlock.
    You then activate if you have the official sim or you could have hacktivated during the custom build if you don't have the official carrier sim.
    The you will need to run 'ibooty' which is placed on the desktop during sn0wbreeze doing its business and you're sorted. It's a tethered jb as I'm sure you know but the is a cydia tweak that you can get afterwards that changes it to a sem-itetheted jb so if you have a crash or battery drain, you can still use as an unjailbroken phone until you get the chance to run ibooty again. If you need help just ask but its really easy.

Is it worth it? Not sure yet. Haven't notice a poorer battery but I have chargers everywhere for this coz it's never outta my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

HI,
    I have a question about jailbroken, unlocked iphone
    (3G, 45 apps, 6.8 gb capacity, 3.2 available)

It's 2nd hand so I don't know what network it was from (I think O2, I'm on Meteor).
    Mine is getting very slow; home button doesn’t work sometimes, I select an app, e-mail, text etc and it can take 5+ seconds to open.

If I do a reset (‘erase all content and settings' I presume) will I have to unlock and jailbreak again?
    I don't want the bother of having to do that (or getting someone to do it for me) again.
    Any other tips to speed it up? I

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

dinneenp wrote: »
    If I do a reset (‘erase all content and settings' I presume) will I have to unlock and jailbreak again?

If you erase all content and settings, the phone will be forced into recovery mode. A restore via itunes will be necessary, removing the JB in the process.

AFAIK, you can chose the other options suc as....reset all settings, reset network settings, reset home sceen etc; without affecting the JB.

All that said, its for your GF. Wipe it and give her a fresh unit, thats my advice. Untethered JB cant be that far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

Question.
    Can i update to ios 5 with an iphone 3gs which is jailbroken and unlocked on
    4.3.3(j2) and modern firmware 06.15.00 (ipad basband)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

My dad wants me to jailbreak his iphone 4 but im really clueless as to where to start. Read the OP but the link for the redsnow for windows is down.

Anyone give me a hand in getting in what i need to do for him?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Who has installed the semi tether tweak ? Came in handy last night as my iphone 4 went dead in traffic due to the floods. Decent little tweak for anyone who has the tethered jailbreak for iOS5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

dodzy wrote: »
    All that said, its for your GF. Wipe it and give her a fresh unit, thats my advice. Untethered JB cant be that far away.

LOL, whoever said it's for my GF? It's my phone, I'm just fed up of it being slow...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

dinneenp wrote: »
    LOL, whoever said it's for my GF? It's my phone, I'm just fed up of it being slow...
    Dunno where i got the GF bit from....seriously. Could have sworn i read something about you going to give it To your GF and get yourself a 4S. My bad, must have been the beer

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

ASOT wrote: »
    Who has installed the semi tether tweak ? Came in handy last night as my iphone 4 went dead in traffic due to the floods. Decent little tweak for anyone who has the tethered jailbreak for iOS5

yeah.. absolute life saver....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

jarvis wrote: »
    Did this very thing last night and it worked fine. I was on 4.3.3 with 01.59.00 and need the unlock so was a little nervous.
    I used latest sn0wbreeze on a windows 7 machine. You don't have to select anything strange when running it; it just will not update your baseband. What it does is take the apple ios5 you've downloaded and creates a custom firmware with cydia already on it. You can do all this without the iPhone being connected. Then you do a shift restore and direct iTunes to the new custome firmware. If you point it the the official ios5 it's bye bye baseband and bye bye unlock.
    You then activate if you have the official sim or you could have hacktivated during the custom build if you don't have the official carrier sim.
    The you will need to run 'ibooty' which is placed on the desktop during sn0wbreeze doing its business and you're sorted. It's a tethered jb as I'm sure you know but the is a cydia tweak that you can get afterwards that changes it to a sem-itetheted jb so if you have a crash or battery drain, you can still use as an unjailbroken phone until you get the chance to run ibooty again. If you need help just ask but its really easy.

Is it worth it? Not sure yet. Haven't notice a poorer battery but I have chargers everywhere for this coz it's never outta my hand.

So this should work on my 3GS running 4.0.1 and 05.13.04? Really want ios 5 but cannot lose my network unlock!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Want to give this semi-tether ios5 jb a shot,what do i do first?
    Update to ios5 first?
    Anyone got a guide for it?

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

barryd09 wrote: »
    Want to give this semi-tether ios5 jb a shot,what do i do first?
    Update to ios5 first?
    Anyone got a guide for it?

Thanks lads

Upgrade
    Jailbreak via redsn0w
    Go to cydia and add - http://thebigboss.org/semitether/
    Install it and BOOM.

You cant use some stuff while in semi mode liek safari and that but you can call and text and use another browser other than safari, So it isnt to bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Has anyone used The Mobile Fone Doctors in Roscommon?

They've just told me they can factory unlock my 3GS for €75 quid. I got the phone cheap as chips so I'm not too worried about the price, still cheaper than a 2nd hand factory unlocked phone online.

I just don't want them running off with my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Has anyone used The Mobile Fone Doctors in Roscommon?

They've just told me they can factory unlock my 3GS for €75 quid. I got the phone cheap as chips so I'm not too worried about the price, still cheaper than a 2nd hand factory unlocked phone online.

I just don't want them running off with my money.
    What network is it currently locked to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

What network is it currently locked to?

Locked to Vodafone UK, and it's on the latest baseband. This was explained to them and they said it would still be unlocked via an iTunes Update when the process had completed.

Locked to Vodafone UK, and it's on the latest baseband. This was explained to them and they said it would still be unlocked via an iTunes Update when the process had completed.
    Have a look on eBay mate. Around 40 euroish. I've had a couple on O2 done on eBay. No problems. I'm sure they just go to similar people anyway themselves. I can give you my paypal address if you want to send me a tenner for the savings;)

Spotted this one for a fiver: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/IPHONE-3GS-FACTORY-PERMANANT-UNLOCK-SERVICE-VODAFONE-CONTRACT-UK-FAST-SERVICE-/220871667952?pt=UK_Phones_Software_RL&hash=item336cfa30f0

This guy looks reliable. Over 5000 feedback: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Unlock-iPhone-2G-3G-3GS-Vodafone-UK-/140492104135?pt=UK_Phones_Software_RL&hash=item20b5fb61c7

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Have a look on eBay mate. Around 40 euroish. I've had a couple on O2 done on eBay. No problems. I'm sure they just go to similar people anyway themselves. I can give you my paypal address if you want to send me a tenner for the savings;)

Spotted this one for a fiver: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/IPHONE-3GS-FACTORY-PERMANANT-UNLOCK-SERVICE-VODAFONE-CONTRACT-UK-FAST-SERVICE-/220871667952?pt=UK_Phones_Software_RL&hash=item336cfa30f0

This guy looks reliable. Over 5000 feedback: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Unlock-iPhone-2G-3G-3GS-Vodafone-UK-/140492104135?pt=UK_Phones_Software_RL&hash=item20b5fb61c7
    Would this work over here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

14murphy wrote: »
    Would this work over here ?

Apoligies just read his page. I dont know who my phone was originally unlocked too. Anyway of finding this out ?

• Advertisement

14murphy wrote: »
    Apoligies just read his page. I dont know who my phone was originally unlocked too. Anyway of finding this out ?
    Did you not say it was Vodafone UK originally? This is what they mean by this. Yes it would work here as the 2 i've got done were on O2 UK and I got them unlocked through similar eBay sellers.

All unlocks have to go through the original network provider. There is no machine or anything that they can use. What would happen is you give them your details etc. pay for the unlock.

Within about 3 days you should get a reply to say its unlocked. You then connect the phone with whatever sim you have and it will get unlocked through iTunes.

Advertisement