Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Brilliant guys! Thanks a lot for this, really really helpful. Saved me almost 50% on the unlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Did you not say it was Vodafone UK originally? This is what they mean by this. Yes it would work here as the 2 i've got done were on O2 UK and I got them unlocked through similar eBay sellers.

All unlocks have to go through the original network provider. There is no machine or anything that they can use. What would happen is you give them your details etc. pay for the unlock.

Within about 3 days you should get a reply to say its unlocked. You then connect the phone with whatever sim you have and it will get unlocked through iTunes.

I didnt ask the original question. I bought a 3gs that already had a network unlock so I dont know who its original unlock was too. Soo I dont think it would work as that ebay service only unlocks 02 uk.

Edit: Also is there any way on earth I could find out who the original phone was locked too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

ASOT wrote: »
    Upgrade
    Jailbreak via redsn0w
    Go to cydia and add - http://thebigboss.org/semitether/
    Install it and BOOM.

You cant use some stuff while in semi mode liek safari and that but you can call and text and use another browser other than safari, So it isnt to bad :)

cheers!!
    going to give it a lash now!
    thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

barryd09 wrote: »
    cheers!!
    going to give it a lash now!
    thanks again!

No bother its handy to have incase it does go dead or nok off my accident whist away from you laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

lads, I have a brand new iPhone 4, on 4.3.3, but I have an issue (which I'm sure must have come up before)

I'm in a strong 3g signal area, but I can't get the damn thing to switch back to 3G after a period of innactivity.

Is there a way to force the radios to only choose 3G when in a 3G area?

• Advertisement

ok,got updated to ios5 and jailbroken again with redsnow,semitether installed,using cydia for some of the old tweaks i had on 4.3.3 and alot of them dont work on ios 5,is this just me or are there loads not working?

one tweak i really want again is 'bigify' to reduce the size of my icons to fit more on each screen...hmmm.....

oh and everything keeps crashing on me,ipod,camera,skyfire,mail,even going into settings is crashing on me!
    i know that you need to reboot while tethered to get everything to work again but i have rebooted while tethered using redsnow loads and still everything crashes & the phone keeps rebooting on me.
    confuzzled here.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

ok,got updated to ios5 and jailbroken again with redsnow,semitether installed,using cydia for some of the old tweaks i had on 4.3.3 and alot of them dont work on ios 5,is this just me or are there loads not working?

one tweak i really want again is 'bigify' to reduce the size of my icons to fit more on each screen...hmmm.....

oh and everything keeps crashing on me,ipod,camera,skyfire,mail,even going into settings is crashing on me!
    i know that you need to reboot while tethered to get everything to work again but i have rebooted while tethered using redsnow loads and still everything crashes & the phone keeps rebooting on me.
    confuzzled here.

uninstall any tweaks you downloaded from cydia that are not yet updated for ios5.

DYLF wrote: »
    uninstall any tweaks you downloaded from cydia that are not yet updated for ios5.

Thats the majority of stuff so...think i may aswell just remove the jb altogether until theres at least a fully untethered jb.at the minute my phone is just too unstable to be reliable.

Feck it,I miss 4.3.3!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Thats the majority of stuff so...think i may aswell just remove the jb altogether until theres at least a fully untethered jb.at the minute my phone is just too unstable to be reliable.

Feck it,I miss 4.3.3!! :(

Here is a list of cydia tweeks that work with ios5, its updated regularly.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?hl=en_US.&hl=en_US.&key=0AsbX6Mjabf0idHJRSk51NW9KUjJabTZVcTNZekVqSmc&type=view&gid=0&f=true&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=500

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

acalmenvoy wrote: »

i've seen this somewhere before....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭Soarer

ASOT wrote: »
    Upgrade
    Jailbreak via redsn0w
    Go to cydia and add - http://thebigboss.org/semitether/
    Install it and BOOM.

You cant use some stuff while in semi mode liek safari and that but you can call and text and use another browser other than safari, So it isnt to bad :)

Just noticed installing semitether uninstalls Installous, and vice versa.

At least it does on my yoke anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Just got my 3rd gevey from applenberry.com
    And it still wont work!

The symptoms this time are different though!

When i start the iphone with the GEVEY in, the iphone doesnt start up at all. It just sits there with the white apple spinning for ages.

If i pop out the the gevey it starts up. Then the ACCEPT screen comes up. But the 1 bar signal never comes. So i cant even ring 112 :(

Any idea's?
    This GEVEY thing is wrecking my head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corridon69

Hi,

I have an iPhone 3g (phone was locked to 3 and now on vodafone) on OS 3.1 since I bought it and it is unlocked and jailbroken. I want to update to to the newest firmware or the newest one that can be jailbroken and unlocked without much hassle. I dont mind about losing the free apps I have on my phone or anything like that.

Can someone on here recommend what I should do?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

The volume icon is not showing up on my IPOD 4 TOUCH.

Does anyone have this problem can assist with it please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

guys i just got an iphone 4 on ios5 and its not activated i tried using sam and its not working..

any help please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

cork45 wrote: »

Aaaaaaah sh!te, got my 4s today and cant JB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Mod edit: Discussion of piracy-related apps and services is against the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ga2k10

Does anyone know how you would downgrade ios 5 back to 4.3.3

I miss my jailbreak my iPod just feels weird without it

*SNIP*

You cant you have to get an iPhone browser such as iFunbox which can be found here http://www.i-funbox.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

ga2k10 wrote: »
    You cant you have to get an iPhone browser such as iFunbox which can be found here http://www.i-funbox.com/
    yes you can, just right click on the iphone in itunes and then click transfer purchases

guil wrote: »
    yes you can, just right click on the iphone in itunes and then click transfer purchases

Well like you already said it's not working and using iFunbox is the only method that has worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

DYLF wrote: »
    i've seen this somewhere before....:D

Looks like you already posted it..:p My bad, I got it from Mac Forums.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

hey guys..

Im on meteor, bought a jailbroken iphone 3gs unlocked from the vodafone network..

decided to update the software then jailbreak again.. DISASTER

now it wont even turn on, its gets to the apple screen, then the little revolving clock thing, and freezes there.

ive tried using fixrecovery but i get a 60000ms giving up message

I do, wait and it scrolls further after a few mins but the same thing, freeze,, doesnt seem to hold any charge at all now,,, so cant even try turning it on first then plugging in the usb..

anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

it's possible it could have the ipad baseband installed so when you tried to restore it failed and is stuck in recovery mode, if you can turn it on, try put it into DFU

even with the apple on screen press and hold the home and sleep button, after 10 seconds release the sleep but hold the home button for another 12 to 15 seconds

download sn0wbreeze and the ipsw yo want to restore to, you can get them all on iclarified, use sn0wbreeze to 'cook' the ipsw and then in itunes with the the phone connected press shift and then click restore and select the 'cooked' ipsw

the screen of the iphone should be black and itunes should tell you it has detected an iphone in recovery mode

ga2k10 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how you would downgrade ios 5 back to 4.3.3

I miss my jailbreak my iPod just feels weird without it

If Cydia has the 4.3.3 SHSH for your specific device you can use TinyUmbrella in combination with iTunes to go back to 4.3.3. I did it with my iPhone 4.

thanks guil, finally got far enough to jailbreak the phone..

installed cydia , installed snowbreeze, ran it,, rebooted the phone,, inserted sim card..

toggled flight mode, but it wont find a network

photo1.png

these are my stats,, anyone got any ideas?

photo2.png
    photo3.png

Yep, 06.15.00 is the iPad baseband alright.

ah balls... so i have to downgrade from that baseband?

off to youtube for another 6 hours i go :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

you need to make a custom firmware that does not include a baseband update, use sn0wbreese to make a custom ipsw

Advertisement