Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

op you're getting confused with jailbreak/unlock
    sn0wbreeze is a jailbreaking tool and ultrasn0w is the unlock, go back to cydia add repo666.ultrasn0w.com and then install ultrasn0w and restart the phone, voila

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Hey folks, am a bit lost with all this, need to unlock an iphone so it can be used in Australia for a few weeks. At least I think unlock is the right word, want to be able to get an australian sim card.

Will this Gevey Sim unlock an iphone 4 that has been updated to the latest software, is not jailbroken and is currently locked to Vodafone Ireland? And if not is there any way to unlock such a phone without jailbreaking it?

Thanks in advance for any responses/help.

won't work on ios 5

won't work on ios 5

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Ive an iPhone 3g that is jailbroken and unlocked, running 3.1.3. Will trying to restore a new 4S from that backup (for contacts, calendar, photos etc) possible, and is it a bad idea?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

elgriff wrote: »
    Ive an iPhone 3g that is jailbroken and unlocked, running 3.1.3. Will trying to restore a new 4S from that backup (for contacts, calendar, photos etc) possible, and is it a bad idea?

Cheers

For contacts / calendar / photo's you can just sync it.....

Secondly, I doubt that iOS would even support the 4s properly.

For contacts / calendar / photo's you can just sync it.....

Secondly, I doubt that iOS would even support the 4s properly.
    none of them will sync unless they have being set to sync previously, none are synced by default

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Hi,
    I Just bought an unlocked iPhone 4S off a guy off adverts.ie. (I know, "that was fast" etc.) My issue is, the guy told me to never update the software on it, because it's unlocked. I have no real issue with this now, but I feel that this will eventually become a grievous annoyance over the next three years, as more and more updates come out. (Apple only update their last three generations.)

What would happen if I did update the software on my unlocked iPhone?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

sounds like the phone is not unlocked then, most likely jail broken and maybe downgraded to an older version in order for the jailbreak to work.

have you got a link to the ad?
    can you ask the seller which network it was bought on and then maybe contact him in a few months, after he has spent some money/credit on the network, then they may unlock it properly for him/you.

kceire wrote: »
    sounds like the phone is not unlocked then, most likely jail broken and maybe downgraded to an older version in order for the jailbreak to work.

have you got a link to the ad?
    can you ask the seller which network it was bought on and then maybe contact him in a few months, after he has spent some money/credit on the network, then they may unlock it properly for him/you.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yes, it certainly seems downgraded! It is also jailbroken. However I think it is unlocked, as I had to put a gevey sim card in with my regular sim card to make my sim card work.

Also, every time I turn it on, I have to:

1. unlock my sim card.
    2. click "ok" on the message that pops up.
    3. wait 15 seconds.
    4. dial 112 and hang up within two seconds.
    5. turn on airplane mode.
    6. wait for 45 seconds, then turn off airplane mode.
    7. unlock my sim card again.

So, I do think it is unlocked, but what would happen if I updated the software?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

That takes me back to my first iPhone and a turbo sim. I have not used a gevey sim but I assume that the iPhone needs to be jailbroken. If you upgrade then you will have to wait till there is a jail break solution. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

fist of all, it's 100% not a 4s it's an iPhone 4

the answer is you can upgrade it, but only using a custom firmware that preserves the baseband and currently there is no untethered method of doing that

can you please tell us what firmware you are currently on, I think a gevey ultra would be a better match for you as you don't have to redo this cycle, but it requires an iPhone running 4.3.3

also, if Cydia is installed find out what shsh blobs are stored for the phone by loading the application and in the cydia tab it will list across the top which ones it has.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

guil wrote: »
    sn0wbreeze is a jailbreaking tool and ultrasn0w is the unlock, go back to cydia add repo666.ultrasn0w.com and then install ultrasn0w and restart the phone, voila

will this downgrade the baseband from 6 ?

has anyone successfully downgraded the base band?

kjl wrote: »
    fist of all, it's 100% not a 4s it's an iPhone 4

the answer is you can upgrade it, but only using a custom firmware that preserves the baseband and currently there is no untethered method of doing that

can you please tell us what firmware you are currently on, I think a gevey ultra would be a better match for you as you don't have to redo this cycle, but it requires an iPhone running 4.3.3

also, if Cydia is installed find out what shsh blobs are stored for the phone by loading the application and in the cydia tab it will list across the top which ones it has.

I'm on 4.3.3.

Cydia is installed, and the SHSH's are 4.3.3, 4.3.4 and 4.3.5.

What should I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Fbjm wrote: »

What should I do?

get your money back because he sold you a 4 telling you its a 4s.

has it got siri? if not, then its a 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

OP what did you pay for it? You didn't buy a 4S that's for sure.

If it has two seams on the bottom sides a one near the headphone jack it's a 4. If it has two seams on each side, top and bottom it's a 4S.

Package wrote: »

will this downgrade the baseband from 6 ?

has anyone successfully downgraded the base band?
    Only some of the loser 3G can downgrade the baseband. It's not possible with newer iPhones

It's 100% not a 4s. There is no other firmware available for it other than iOS 5. How much did ya pay cos sounds like you were ripped off

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

I think you need to have a word with these folks:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=646

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Like the others have already said your iphone is not unlocked and its not a 4s either.
    Was this sold as a 4S, was it in a 4S box? have you a link to the adverts auction?
    I'd try get my money back ASAP

• Advertisement

Yeah I know it's a 4, I typed in my OP :o

But what I want to know is, how do I update it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

you can update in itunes but most gevey sims don't work in ios5 and you will need to re jailbreak(currently only semi-tethered)
    What baseband(modem firmware) is your phone on, as you might be able to use ultrasn0w instead of the gevey.

Fbjm wrote: »
    Yeah I know it's a 4, I typed in my OP :o

But what I want to know is, how do I update it?
    What was "fast" about buying an iPhone 4 off adverts. If you update to ios 5 it will block the gevey sim. Follow kji advice on how to update

What was "fast" about buying an iPhone 4 off adverts. If you update to ios 5 it will block the gevey sim. Follow kji advice on how to update

Ah right, ok. Guess I won't be updating then. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cycling4ever

hey guys my ipod touch 4generation and its frozen on the restore screen :(:(:( , any ideas how to fix it, i have tried holding sleep/home button together.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

hey guys my ipod touch 4generation and its frozen on the restore screen :(:(:( , any ideas how to fix it, i have tried holding sleep/home button together.

Thanks.

Does it reboot and return to that screen? Or does it just do nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cycling4ever

ya it reboots and return to that screen over and over again

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

put it into DFU then restore your frimware...

should work

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

jailbroke my ipad on 5.0 redsnow a while ago. everything was fine and working away. i then went in and typed the hackulo.us source code and added it. i then reboot the device but it is not stuck on the apple logo. resetting aint working :( any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

jailbroke my ipad on 5.0 redsnow a while ago. everything was fine and working away. i then went in and typed the hackulo.us source code and added it. i then reboot the device but it is not stuck on the apple logo. resetting aint working :( any ideas?

It's a tethered jailbreak which means you cannot boot the iPhone without hooking it up and using redsn0w to boot tethered. It won't erase anything on your phone.

Advertisement