Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

thank you! i was sure it was an untethered version as its .9b7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

thank you! i was sure it was an untethered version as its .9b7

The untethered ios5 jailbreak hasn't been released yet although it has been achieved. They are either ironing out the last few bugs or waiting on Apple to release ios5.01 before they let it out to avoid the exploit being patched too soon. Either way you should re-jailbreak again once it's out, you may even be able to run Redsn0w straight over your current jailbreak without needing to restore.

I tried iOS 5 again since I was bored. SemiTether won me over as I was uncomfortable with the idea of not being able to reboot the phone if I was away from the laptop.

I was having a problem with iPhoneDelivery not working once I ran SemiTether, but an updated version from a different repo seems to have fixed it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

ok folks.

the phone is now jailbroken

running

version : 4.1 (8B117)
    carrier : 8.0
    model firmware : 06.15.00

still not picking up a network though..

when i switch it on, it searches for a minute then comes up "no service"

any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

Package wrote: »
    ok folks.

the phone is now jailbroken

running

version : 4.1 (8B117)
    carrier : 8.0
    model firmware : 06.15.00

still not picking up a network though..

when i switch it on, it searches for a minute then comes up "no service"

any ideas?

have you installed ultrasn0w from cydia?

add http://repo666.ultrasnow.com to your sources
    then install ultrasn0w.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Guys , cant get cydia to open on iPad 5.0 after JB , I've restored and Jb'd again but no joy . Any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Any update on getting my iphone 4 unlocked, it has 4.3.3 (8J2) with 04.10.01 firmware. Is there a jailbreak / unlock for this yet without using the gevey sim thing or is that my only option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

clio_16v wrote: »
    Any update on getting my iphone 4 unlocked, it has 4.3.3 (8J2) with 04.10.01 firmware. Is there a jailbreak / unlock for this yet without using the gevey sim thing or is that my only option?

only option would be to update to ipad baseband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

DYLF wrote: »
    only option would be to update to ipad baseband
    i dont think you can update to the ipad baseband on an iphone 4 and could possibly brick it by trying

DYLF wrote: »
    have you installed ultrasn0w from cydia?

add http://repo666.ultrasnow.com to your sources
    then install ultrasn0w.

yeah did that, its just comes up

"could not activate cellular data network"

:(

• Advertisement

did you restart the phone, what baseband is on it
    settings>general>about modem firmware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

The only baseband that ultrasn0w will unlock for an iphone4 is 01.59.00 if you updated to ios5 withouth preserving that particular baseband then ultrasn0w in no use to you.

guil wrote: »
    did you restart the phone, what baseband is on it
    settings>general>about modem firmware

ah come on,, course i restarted it :)

its on 06:15:00

jarvis wrote: »
    The only baseband that ultrasn0w will unlock for an iphone4 is 01.59.00 if you updated to ios5 withouth preserving that particular baseband then ultrasn0w in no use to you.

its a 3gs, not a 4

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭touchwood

guys, my iphone4 is jailbroken and unlocked, i have requested the offical unlock about a week ago from the carrier, how can i check if its offically unlocked? i have heard you need to restore and sync and then you get a message, but will that lock my phone to original carrier if the unlock hasnt went through yet? any help appreciated.

try sync with a different sim installed, if ultrasn0w is installed itunes wont unlock it

So I've gotta take the jailbreak off before I can unlock it yeah?

touchwood wrote: »
    So I've gotta take the jailbreak off before I can unlock it yeah?
    no just uninstall ultrasn0w, ultrasn0w isn't a jailbreak

So if I uninstall ultraslow it will be locked again? So if the carrier unlock hasn't gone through I'll be stuck to original carrier?? Sorry for all the questions. Just don't wanna be stuck.

yes but only briefly, tap on cydia and then when it loads up tap manage and then packages
    scroll down to ultrasn0w and tap it, tap modify in the top right corner and then tap uninstall

the phone will prob restart but when it does connect it to itunes and sync, if it wont try remove the sim and then sync and sync again with the sim installed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,056 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

touchwood wrote: »
    guys, my iphone4 is jailbroken and unlocked, i have requested the offical unlock about a week ago from the carrier, how can i check if its offically unlocked? i have heard you need to restore and sync and then you get a message, but will that lock my phone to original carrier if the unlock hasnt went through yet? any help appreciated.

No, you do not need a system restore. You will get a message via text confirming that you need to connect to itunes for the unlock to be activated. Obviously with internet connection. Let itunes do its thing, simpe as that.

• Advertisement

It won't be unlocked till the screen appears in iTunes saying so

Ok, so I've to uninstall ultrasn0w, then sync my phone with iTunes, then I should get a message saying it's unlocked. Is that right? And if it's not I can just install ultrasn0w again to unlock? Do I sync it without a sim in or not? I don't use the sim I got with the phone, have a different number from a different network so I won't get a text message to tell me it's unlocked.

how long ago was the unlock requested, i can't remember exactly what way i did it but i think when you try sync with an unauthorized sim it will fail with a message, i think i removed the sim, started the sync and inserted the sim and got the message after the sync

it was about 8 9 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Hey,

Just bought a second hand iPhone 4, just updated it to IOS 5 and its not unlocked. Locked to O2.

The Modem Firmware is 04.11.08.

Before i bought it the guy said he was onto O2 and asked could they unlock the phone and they sent off a request for a code that will come back in two days.

Just wondering can it definitely be unlocked running the base band that's on it?

And is it simply getting the code, putting the new Sim in and entering the code when they request it or is it more complected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Hey,

Just bought a second hand iPhone 4, just updated it to IOS 5 and its not unlocked. Locked to O2.

The Modem Firmware is 04.11.08.

Before i bought it the guy said he was onto O2 and asked could they unlock the phone and they sent off a request for a code that will come back in two days.

Just wondering can it definitely be unlocked running the base band that's on it?

And is it simply getting the code, putting the new Sim in and entering the code when they request it or is it more complected?
    Firmware doesnt matter. When you get confirmation you just plug it into iTunes with a sim from another operator in the phone and it'll unlock it through iTunes. You don't get a code or anything like that

Firmware doesnt matter. When you get confirmation you just plug it into iTunes with a sim from another operator in the phone and it'll unlock it through iTunes. You don't get a code or anything like that

Ok good,
    Thanks you put my mind at ease thinking it couldn't be done!
    Do I have to do it straight away as its getting confirmation in a couple of days but the phone is a christmas present so it wont have that sim in it till then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Ok good,
    Thanks you put my mind at ease thinking it couldn't be done!
    Do I have to do it straight away as its getting confirmation in a couple of days but the phone is a christmas present so it wont have that sim in it till then!
    No should be fine whenever. You could always just get a loan of a sim or a free one from meteor to check with just to make sure when they say the unlock request has been processed it actually has. Could save trouble on Christmas day! It doesn't have to be the sim you want to use in it thats used for the unlock

No should be fine whenever. You could always just get a loan of a sim or a free one from meteor to check with just to make sure when they say the unlock request has been processed it actually has. Could save trouble on Christmas day! It doesn't have to be the sim you want to use in it thats used for the unlock

Ok great thanks for your help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

how do i go about unlocking a 3gs from the o2 network, ive recently upgraded
    to a 4s and am selling it on, think it will sell better if its unlocked to any
    network

Advertisement