Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

how do i go about unlocking a 3gs from the o2 network, ive recently upgraded
    to a 4s and am selling it on, think it will sell better if its unlocked to any
    network
    Your only option is to ring them and ask them. Doubt theyll do it so fast though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Lads,

Any tweet you can recommend to let me know when baseband 04.11.08 is unlock able?

Also 3 Mobile people, how long do you have to have the phone before they let you unlock it?

Thanks
    Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Any tweet you can recommend to let me know when baseband 04.11.08 is unlock able?

Also 3 Mobile people, how long do you have to have the phone before they let you unlock it?

Thanks
    Gary
    If your on contract you have to wait until your contract is up unless you want to pay the remaining months off on your contract. I dont do twitter but if Redmond Pie have a twitter thing subscribe to them. I know they do facebook updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kavkid

Hey, I'm trying to unlock an iPhone 4 with baseband 4.11.08 and unfortunately found out that I can't do it - would you say the shops in town or wherever would be able to do it? Or do they unlock iPhones the same way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

A new update for IOS is out, if you intend on having an untethered Jailbreak,

DO NOT UPDATE TO IOS 5.0.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 gary 2010

Hi, if i jailbreak my iphone 4 on ios 5 using tethered jailbreak is there a way of getting rid of it possibly by restoring it at all?

Thanks,
    Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Yep. Just connect it back to iTunes and restore it. Backup everything before u jailbreak. Jb'ed my iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0 this evening. All went fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gary 2010

irish1967 wrote: »
    Yep. Just connect it back to iTunes and restore it. Backup everything before u jailbreak. Jb'ed my iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0 this evening. All went fine.
    Thanks very much. I just want to be able to go untethered when it comes out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Contacted vodafone about unlocking my iphone. I believe they have to do this for you in Oz if you are no bill. You've a contract for 12-24 months to pay them, but not that you'll only use thier network suring that time.

Anyway, they solution how to unlock. Restore via itunes. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

gary 2010 wrote: »
    irish1967 wrote: »
    Thanks very much. I just want to be able to go untethered when it comes out :)

Just make sure you save your shsh blobs, so if you do restore you can go back to 5.0 and not be stuck on 5.1 , with no option for any jb yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

fox007 wrote: »
    Just make sure you save your shsh blobs, so if you do restore you can go back to 5.0 and not be stuck on 5.1 , with no option for any jb yet

Dont think saving blobs for ios 5 works anymore - i think once you go to 5.1 theres no way back to 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

no again this is not the case, iOS5 works differently to previous firmware versions the only way to restore it now is to have it running on your device and hope a program similar to iFaith comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    A new update for IOS is out, if you intend on having an untethered Jailbreak,

DO NOT UPDATE TO IOS 5.0.1
    It's not as if there will never be an untethered job for 5.0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

guil wrote: »
    It's not as if there will never be an untethered job for 5.0.1

not guaranteed there will be either (4.3.4...4.3.5)

but yeah either way if you do update you'll be waiting alot longer for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Can't believe there is no untethered JB for 5.0 yet. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

All in good time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

Does anyone know if on an Iphone 4 on 4.3.3 can I install 5.0 or do I have to go to 5.0.1?

Thanks

EDIT: Looks like they stopped signing 5.0 over the last couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

Yeah I know, its been how long and at least 7/10 iphone user are using this software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hey Guys

Just bought a iphone 4s, its locked to 3, is there a way to unlok iphone 4s yet? seen on web a few wyas but costing 20 dollers or so! thanks

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hey Guys

Just bought a iphone 4s, its locked to 3, is there a way to unlok iphone 4s yet? seen on web a few wyas but costing 20 dollers or so! thanks
    no there is no way to unlock the 4s and prob won't be for a very long time, remember that the iphone 4 is only unlockable on the 01.59.00 baseband and that baseband was the first on the phone

• Advertisement

Hey Guys

There's no way to unlock a 4S except via Apple, those sites are scams. Looks like you'll have to either sell it on, port to 3 (*shudders*), or wait.

Karsini wrote: »
    There's no way to unlock a 4S except via Apple, those sites are scams. Looks like you'll have to either sell it on, port to 3 (*shudders*), or wait.

Ahh the wife is after moving to 3, I paid for the phone and was going to use and give her my iphone 4. Looks like she got a good deal to be honest:eek:

Will stick with my iphone 4 for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭peppapig24

A quick question. My mams brother has emigrated recently and has left behind his iphone4. It was bought directly from apple but still has a sim inside not sure which carrier yet as have no key to look inside and the battery is dead. If I was to get myself a new sim would there be any problem with me putting it in and using it straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

peppapig24 wrote: »
    A quick question. My mams brother has emigrated recently and has left behind his iphone4. It was bought directly from apple but still has a sim inside not sure which carrier yet as have no key to look inside and the battery is dead. If I was to get myself a new sim would there be any problem with me putting it in and using it straight away?

No. Any sim will work (it has to be a micro sim though obviously).

If bought from Apple, its not locked to any network.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dev_g

Jus a quick question cause I couldn't see it on the 1st page,

I have an iphone 4 on ios5 on modem firmware 04.11.08

I just want to jailbreak it, not unlock it, how do I do this??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

dev_g wrote: »
    Jus a quick question cause I couldn't see it on the 1st page,

I have an iphone 4 on ios5 on modem firmware 04.11.08

I just want to jailbreak it, not unlock it, how do I do this??

Thanks

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-5-on-iphone-4-3gs-ipad-ipod-touch-using-redsn0w-0.9.9b5-final-version-howto-video-tutorial/

Karsini wrote: »

Hey if I dont want to unlock and just jailbreak to use another sim is this possible yet? on version 5.0.1? Thanks

Hey if I dont want to unlock and just jailbreak to use another sim is this possible yet? on version 5.0.1? Thanks
    you are mixing up jailbreak and unlock, jailbreak allows custom software on the phone, unlock allows any sim to be used

back to your question, no it's not possible to unlock it or even jailbreak it at the moment

guil wrote: »
    you are mixing up jailbreak and unlock, jailbreak allows custom software on the phone, unlock allows any sim to be used

back to your question, no it's not possible to unlock it or even jailbreak it at the moment

Sorry was thinking I was getting confused:confused: thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

I have an iPhone 4 on 4.0.2 which is jail broken and unlocked. I got an invalid sim error lastnight, searched online and found out that an ultrasn0w reinstall would fix it.

Tried reinstalling ultrasn0w but got an error, tried updating cydia but got the same error...something about subprocess rm cleanup.

A restore is recommended seemingly as cydia is corrupt.could someone tell me how do I restore it in such a way that I can re-jailbreak and unlock it?

Thanks!

Advertisement