Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Hi guys, I got a new iPhone 4 today, had one since March but Three and Fonemenders replaced it with a broken one which Apple then swapped out for a shiny new one! I am with Three but I think this phone may be unlocked as it it came from apple, I intend picking up a Meteor Micro-Sim later today to see if this is so!

I set it up as a new phone on a fresh install of iTunes on a fresh install of Win7 to be prevent any links between it and its old one.

What I need to find out about is the shsh blobs? What I want to do is basically back them up before I upgrade to iOS-5.01 so that if it dosen't work out that I can restore the phone back to its current config of:

iOS 4.3.5 (8L1) & baseband 04.10.01

using this guide
    http://www.ijailbreak.com/how-to/how-to-save-your-shsh-blobs-with-tinyumbrella-and-downgrade-using-tinyumbrella/

I never Jailbroke my old iPhone but want to start experimenting with it later on, basically what I want to do is back up the shsh blobs so that I can downgrade back to my current iOS if I don't like iOs-5 and then reinstall 4.3.5 and jailbreak it.

I have read conflicting reports that Apple are now onto the shsh blobs plan and that if I upgrade to iOS-5.01 that I will never be able to go back, I just want to keep 4.3.5 in reserve incase no untethered JB emerges for iOS5 and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Stinicker wrote: »
    Hi guys, I got a new iPhone 4 today, had one since March but Three and Fonemenders replaced it with a broken one which Apple then swapped out for a shiny new one! I am with Three but I think this phone may be unlocked as it it came from apple, I intend picking up a Meteor Micro-Sim later today to see if this is so!
    It will still be locked to three. Guaranteed

Stinicker wrote: »
    I never Jailbroke my old iPhone but want to start experimenting with it later on, basically what I want to do is back up the shsh blobs so that I can downgrade back to my current iOS if I don't like iOs-5 and then reinstall 4.3.5 and jailbreak it.

I have read conflicting reports that Apple are now onto the shsh blobs plan and that if I upgrade to iOS-5.01 that I will never be able to go back, I just want to keep 4.3.5 in reserve incase no untethered JB emerges for iOS5 and upwards.

Here's how the SHSH situation is, using my phone as an example:

I have the SHSH for 4.3.3, 4.3.4 and 4.3.5, saved them using TinyUmbrella. I'm now on iOS 5.0. I can still go back to any of the versions I have the blobs for. But if I were to go to 5.0.1 I can no longer downgrade to 5.0 but can still go back to the 4.3.x versions. The Dev Team claim that this should remain the case but soon enough you'll need to use older versions of iTunes to do the 4.x downgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Lads stupid question here but just wondering are the blobs tied uniquely to each phone? Frustrated waiting around for an unlock for 04.11.08

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Lads stupid question here but just wondering are the blobs tied uniquely to each phone? Frustrated waiting around for an unlock for 04.11.08

Yes they are specific to that phone, but you can't downgrade the baseband even if you have the blobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Good to know (on both accounts)

Does anyone want to swap a 32GB iPhone 4 tied to 3 for a 32GB iPhone 4 tied to eMobile?

(I'm on emobile)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Is there a way to downgrade the 6.15 BB on 3GS? To enable it to work with itunes stock IPSW's?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Is there a way to downgrade the 6.15 BB on 3GS? To enable it to work with itunes stock IPSW's?
    nope

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

54kroc wrote: »

giving this a go later on... will let you know how i get on

• Advertisement

DYLF wrote: »
    giving this a go later on... will let you know how i get on
    bit pointless giving that it will lock once the network refreshes

• Registered Users Posts: 46 smasherplan9

Be interesting to see how you get on DYLF, locked to vodafone (in a non 3g area) and would like to test with O2 even for a few hours to see what the coverage is like

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

Downgraded a friends' jailbroken 3G from 4.2.1 to 3.1.3 and can't get into the phone now because the SIM is wrong (we both have VF and he's not sure what was used before).
    So we're stuck with a 3G on baseband 06.15.00/3.1.3.
    The phone will only allow emergency calls atm.

I need to be able to unlock it so he can continue using his VF SIM in the phone.
    Have googled around and get conflicting info.

So what's the next step to SIM-lessly jailbreak and then unlock it?

use limera1n to hactivate it and then add the ultrasn0w repo in cydia
    repo666.ultrasn0w.com and then install it and restart the phone

Thanks, I found this page
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1093384
    Used redsn0w and then ultrasn0w in Cydia.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

guil wrote: »
    bit pointless giving that it will lock once the network refreshes

correct and right.. it does work.. but only for about 10 seconds or so

To follow up on my issue. Got the youtube and GPS issues but could solve the youtube by using cydia pushfix.
    But it seems the GPS still won't lock, looks like it puts me 5-600 meters away, maybe using a 3g mast?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

any word on ios5 or 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak yet ? would of thought since .1 came out they'd release one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Can an i phone 4 ios5 locked to three be unlocked? Its been bought 2nd hand so going through three for unlock codes is not really an option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

ft9 wrote: »
    Can an i phone 4 ios5 locked to three be unlocked? Its been bought 2nd hand so going through three for unlock codes is not really an option

Not at the moment. We're still waiting on a ios5 jailbreak and unlock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

I'm wondering if anyone can help with this issue I've been having - Google was no use to me!

I JB-ed my Apple TV 2 last night using Seas0npass and have successfully got XBMC up and running. I've followed the steps to making sure the folders on my Mac Mini were properly shared so XBMC could find them and view the media etc.

However, when I go into XBMC on the ATV, I try to add said shared folders in the Windows SMB and get the following error
    error 2 share not available

Has anyone come across this before? According to all the FAQ's, YouTube videos etc, I've done everything right.

Thanks in advance.

TB

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭drver1

Bought an iPhone 4 of a friend who was upgrading to an iPhone 4s (He's on o2). Got my Vodafone Micro SIM today put it in the phone but it is saying "only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier...."

As i can't get onto the home screen, i can't find out what firmware is on it, tried jailbreaking it using www.clarified.com, downloading the IOS5.0 + redsnow.

The chap i bought it of said he updated the phone the night before.

Where do i go from here?

Should i have just been patient and went into an o2 shop?!!

Sounds like the phone is still SIM locked to O2.

How do i unlock/jailbreak it?

Or is it only o2 that can do it?

drver1 wrote: »
    How do i unlock/jailbreak it?

Or is it only o2 that can do it?

Unless it's on an old baseband (unlikely if you updated it to iOS 5.0) then only O2 can do it.

Ok cool, ill go to o2 tomorrow see what they say.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

naasrd wrote: »
    Not at the moment. We're still waiting on a ios5 jailbreak and unlock.
    I'll be heading home for a month at xmas. I've been given unlock instructions from vodafone (iPhone4S) because im tied to on contract anyway. I'll update if it works ok.

(It worked for a friends iPhone 4 but I have to sort my itunes out first as i need to sync)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

drver1 wrote: »
    Ok cool, ill go to o2 tomorrow see what they say.

Thanks
    O2 wont do it gor you your friend will have to ring them. It cant be unlocked any other way

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

I'm not sure if this has been covered here or not, I'm living in the US until next year and wanna get an unlocked iPhone. I could buy straight from apple but what about all those electrical stores that sell phones,cameras,ipods etc? They are cheaper to buy from but are they dodgy? Anyone have any experiences?

• Advertisement

Mongo wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this has been covered here or not, I'm living in the US until next year and wanna get an unlocked iPhone. I could buy straight from apple but what about all those electrical stores that sell phones,cameras,ipods etc? They are cheaper to buy from but are they dodgy? Anyone have any experiences?

The only bricks and mortar store where you'll get a SIM-free iPhone on the island is the Apple Store in Belfast. The only other way is ordering online from Apple. All iPhones sold in phone shops are locked.

Advertisement