Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

Karsini wrote: »
    The only bricks and mortar store where you'll get a SIM-free iPhone on the island is the Apple Store in Belfast. The only other way is ordering online from Apple. All iPhones sold in phone shops are locked.

I'm in New York though! They have the electronic shops every couple of blocks and they all claim to sell unlocked iPhones. They aren't phone shops. They usually sell everything like cameras,tablets,laptops,iPods and phones etc.

Mongo wrote: »
    I'm in New York though! They have the electronic shops every couple of blocks and they all claim to sell unlocked iPhones. They aren't phone shops. They usually sell everything like cameras,tablets,laptops,iPods and phones etc.

Ah sorry, didn't know that, it is Boards.ie after all. ;) I've no idea what the situation in the US is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I have a factory unlocked iPhone4 bought straight from Apple, is there a jailbreak for IOS 5 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Mongo wrote: »

The ones on 5th avenue for example? Avoid, avoid if you want an genuine iphone. They are cheaters. Stick to an Apple store.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭AustinByrnes

hello,

some advice please. a friend of mine who had an iphone 3g with o2, and due to a work upgrade has gotten a iphone4, so has given me the iphone 3g. he said he would get his work i.t department to unlock it for me, because im on vodafone.

i cant give it back to him cause im in limerick and he is dublin. anyway so to explain my issue..

i put my sim card in and it wont activate, through i tunes. it says no sim installed and there is one in it. i then tried putting it back into recoverey mode and tried jailbreaking it with programme called limera1n(have used this before with 2 other iphones and it worked) and wheather i take the official root of trying to activate through i tunes or to jailbreak it it keeps going back to the original way i got it

please see pictures attached..

and link to photobucket foe other pics..

http://s1108.photobucket.com/albums/h413/austinbyrnes1/Iphone/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

hello,

some advice please. a friend of mine who had an iphone 3g with o2, and due to a work upgrade has gotten a iphone4, so has given me the iphone 3g. he said he would get his work i.t department to unlock it for me, because im on vodafone.

i cant give it back to him cause im in limerick and he is dublin. anyway so to explain my issue..

i put my sim card in and it wont activate, through i tunes. it says no sim installed and there is one in it. i then tried putting it back into recoverey mode and tried jailbreaking it with programme called limera1n(have used this before with 2 other iphones and it worked) and wheather i take the official root of trying to activate through i tunes or to jailbreak it it keeps going back to the original way i got it

please see pictures attached..

and link to photobucket foe other pics..

http://s1108.photobucket.com/albums/h413/austinbyrnes1/Iphone/
    First think you will need is an 02 SIM card; borrow one or purchase a PAYG jobbie. This will get you activated. Then Jailbreak........and unlock.

Youre goin nowhere without the SIM though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

That's IOS5, If you restored it in iTunes your baseband will not be software unlockable.
    You could still jailbreak and update the baseband to the ipad baseband to unlock, this is not a very desirable thing to do to your phone as you will no longer be able to resore your phone to an unjailbroken state and it is possible to brick your phone.

You can use redsn0w to jailbreak now and the phone will automatically be hacktivated but you'll be tethered, plug it into the computer and run tinyumbrella to see if there are shsh blobs for any other firmwares saved, which will allow you to downgrade from ios5

But why not fill out the o2 request here and get it officially unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭AustinByrnes

just screen captured this info from tinyumbrella but didnt run anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Raoul

I can't actually find an answer for this but does flash work if you jailbreak your ipad 2.

Apologies, this question has probably been asked a million times. But when I search all I can find is people saying that this has been asked and to just search.

Whats xbmx like on the ipad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Raoul wrote: »
    I can't actually find an answer for this but does flash work if you jailbreak your ipad 2.

Apologies, this question has probably been asked a million times. But when I search all I can find is people saying that this has been asked and to just search.

Whats xbmx like on the ipad?

No flash can b used by downloading the skyfire browser from the app store though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Is there a cydia tweek to fool a wifi only ipad into thinking its a 3G ipad?
    I want to put whatsapp on my wifi only ipad with another cydia tweek called whatspad but whatsapp doesnt show up at all in the app store for non 3G ipads.

Or is there another way of getting whatsapp on the ipad?

just screen captured this info from tinyumbrella but didnt run anything.

You're actually on the iPad baseband already.

i need help restoring my ipad 1.

its on 4.3 (8F190) and jailbroken with jailbreakme.com

ive been messing around with cydia and settings and all that,long story short ive made a balls out of it and apps & tweaks cant be uninstalled/removed

i want to remove the jailbreak/restore the ipad back to an unjailbroken state and start over again except im getting an unknown error 3194 back from itunes when its attempting to verify with apple.

any ideas?
    really dont want to update to ios 5.

thanks

barryd09 wrote: »

ive been messing around with cydia and settings and all that,long story short ive made a balls out of it and apps & tweaks cant be uninstalled/removed

i want to remove the jailbreak/restore the ipad back to an unjailbroken state and start over again except im getting an unknown error 3194 back from itunes when its attempting to verify with apple.

any ideas?

thanks

If you have 4.3 saved with Cydia use Tinyumbrella while updating

http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreaking-hacking-tutorials-how-guides/40887-tutorial-restore-your-ipad-using-tinyumbrella-shsh-blobs.html

barryd09 wrote: »

any ideas?

thanks

You'll need to run TinyUmbrella's proxy when doing the restore. It should work provided that the SHSH has been saved. You may get another error near the end but use the Fix Recovery feature in TinyUmbrella if this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

I've a new iPad 2 that comes with 5.0.1 but I want to downgrade to 4.3.3 / 4.3.5 but I have no SHSH blobs already saved to do so - any ideas if I can download an SHSH blob or how I go about this?

Sparkpea wrote: »
    I've a new iPad 2 that comes with 5.0.1 but I want to downgrade to 4.3.3 / 4.3.5 but I have no SHSH blobs already saved to do so - any ideas if I can download an SHSH blob or how I go about this?
    Nothing you can do your stuck on 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

Nothing you can do your stuck on 5

ARSE!

and there's no JB for 5.0.1 on ipad2 yet sure there isn't? I'm looking to enable multiple user accounts for the ipad because its pissing me off logging in and out of stuff after my mrs' uses it!

Sparkpea wrote: »
    ARSE!

and there's no JB for 5.0.1 on ipad2 yet sure there isn't? I'm looking to enable multiple user accounts for the ipad because its pissing me off logging in and out of stuff after my mrs' uses it!
    Nope your stuck for the moment mate

Karsini wrote: »
    You'll need to run TinyUmbrella's proxy when doing the restore. It should work provided that the SHSH has been saved. You may get another error near the end but use the Fix Recovery feature in TinyUmbrella if this happens.

im following the directions in the link above,the blobs saved in cydia was 4.3.5 followed the directions down to putting it in dfu mode,restore came up from itunes,manually selected the 4.3.5 file,began restoring then i got the same 3194 error again...ipad wont even turn on now! grr!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭pocketse

Hi,

I have an iPhone 4 locked to vodafone. Its on 4.3.5 and 04.10.01 baseband. Is it possible to unlock this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

pocketse wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an iPhone 4 locked to vodafone. Its on 4.3.5 and 04.10.01 baseband. Is it possible to unlock this?

Thanks
    A gevey sim might work but won't if you upgrade to ios 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Im still trying to unlock iphone 4 with 4.3.3 and baseband 4.10.01
    Ive tried everything so far. Jailbroken and 3xGeveys

This new gevey from applenberry seems to do something different in that it prompted me to install furiousmod from cydia. Which i've just done and now my iphone is off 'searching' for a network... Its been doing it for a few mins now

Anyone got any tips?
    This is truly frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Im still trying to unlock iphone 4 with 4.3.3 and baseband 4.10.01
    Ive tried everything so far. Jailbroken and 3xGeveys

This new gevey from applenberry seems to do something different in that it prompted me to install furiousmod from cydia. Which i've just done and now my iphone is off 'searching' for a network... Its been doing it for a few mins now

Anyone got any tips?
    This is truly frustrating!

what is happening with the Geveys iv unlocked all baasebands including ios 5 with them no probs

Dont suppose you want to have a go at fixing mine do you? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭moggser

ive a theory why it aint working for you Nic

i think your fone is bloked from networks bar its own what network is it stuck to?

i had a similar problem and it turned out to be barred from all networks bar 2 of them so try your gevey with a sim from all networks and see what ones it works with

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'd really appreciate some help in updating/jailbreaking my iphone 3gs.

Its currently unlocked and jailbroken - version 1.3.1. I want to update it/jailbreak/unlock it.

Can someone advise me on how to do this? Not sure if I need to restore it first and then update/jailbreak. And then not sure how to go about unlocking, so any help would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Tusky wrote: »
    I'd really appreciate some help in updating/jailbreaking my iphone 3gs.

Its currently unlocked and jailbroken - version 1.3.1. I want to update it/jailbreak/unlock it.

Can someone advise me on how to do this? Not sure if I need to restore it first and then update/jailbreak. And then not sure how to go about unlocking, so any help would be much appreciated.

Wow.. that has to be a record !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

irish1967 wrote: »
    Wow.. that has to be a record !

haha - noticed my mistake. Tis 3.1.3 - still pretty old though.

• Advertisement

moggser wrote: »
    ive a theory why it aint working for you Nic

i think your fone is bloked from networks bar its own what network is it stuck to?

i had a similar problem and it turned out to be barred from all networks bar 2 of them so try your gevey with a sim from all networks and see what ones it works with

Its locked to 3.
    How will knowing whats its unlocked to help with unlocking it to the network i want?
    Thanks!

Advertisement