Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

Lenny wrote: »
    So here is what I have done, first put the phone in dfu, ran fixrecovery.exe, after that i loaded up tinyumbrella & started the tss server.
    then i loaded up itunes & let it checked the iphone firmware, and then I shift clicked restore & selected version 4.3.1 itunes gave me a gernal 2005 error?

Do you have the SHSH blobs for 4.3.1? I downgraded from 5.0 to 4.3.3 and got an error during the downgrade (can't remember the code) but when I used the FixRecovery app it allowed the phone to boot.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

AFAIK I don't have any of the shsh blobs backed up from this phone, checked the save folder there & don't see anything with old dates.
    I am looking for an untethered boot alright. when I use the fixrecovery app the phone just has the itunes sign & cable on display..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Did you try 4.1 apple were signing it recently so no need for blobs

If that doesn't work you've no choice but just do a normal restore in iTunes

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Hi ya,

Bought a 3GS on adverts locked to O2 and I am trying to get it unlocked. However think it is running the newest IOS (5.1 I think?) I asked a fella in one of them Moore St shops and he said it cant be done yet.

I quick google search seemed to suggest otherwise. Just wanted to ask here to confirm if it can be done or not at the moment. Not so confident on doing this myself either.

deejer wrote: »
    Hi ya,

Bought a 3GS on adverts locked to O2 and I am trying to get it unlocked. However think it is running the newest IOS (5.1 I think?) I asked a fella in one of them Moore St shops and he said it cant be done yet.

I quick google search seemed to suggest otherwise. Just wanted to ask here to confirm if it can be done or not at the moment. Not so confident on doing this myself either.

You could update it to the iPad baseband (06.15.00) and unlock it but I wouldn't recommend it as you cannot go back. Some people have reported issues such as their GPS not working afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭moggser

how yiz can iphone 4s be jailbroke?

i know this has prob been asked and answered and i should know better and search for it but im on the move and its hard to do while on phone and been chased by blue rinsers around the bingo hall...its worse than that time i forgot how to sit down

moggser wrote: »
    how yiz can iphone 4s be jailbroke?

i know this has prob been asked and answered and i should know better and search for it but im on the move and its hard to do while on phone and been chased by blue rinsers around the bingo hall...its worse than that time i forgot how to sit down

Looking at all the speculation lately, I'm beginning to think it won't happen. I wonder how much of the iOS userbase would switch to Android if this is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

If you know someone on o2 get them to ring o2 for you saying its theirs and ask to unlock

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

If you know someone on o2 get them to ring o2 for you saying its theirs and ask to unlock

Sister and father are on O2. That really work??

Just looking into this. If I give the IMEI code of the iphone with their number it should be ok to do this shouldnt it?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Got the GF's iPhone 4S unlocked last night
    Doing mine tonight. Just in time for a 4 week holiday, so no roaming charges :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Mellor wrote: »
    Doing mine tonight. Just in time for a 4 week holiday, so no roaming charges :D:D:D

"doing mine tonight"??? I presume this is an official carrier unlock as the 4s isn't jail broken yet. Why would an operator unlock you do early into a contract?

jarvis wrote: »

"doing mine tonight"??? I presume this is an official carrier unlock as the 4s isn't jail broken yet. Why would an operator unlock you do early into a contract?
    I contacted Vodafone about unlocking it and was told to restore via iTunes and it will unlock. I haven't got a new micro sin to check yet but the message "your iphone is now unlocked" appeared on laptop screen when finished.

As for why they told me this. AFAIK, they've no reason to tie the phone to the network. You are legally obliged to pay the bill for the full contract regardless of what sim you use.
    Good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I contacted Vodafone about unlocking it and was told to restore via iTunes and it will unlock. I haven't got a new micro sin to check yet but the message "your iphone is now unlocked" appeared on laptop screen when finished.

As for why they told me this. AFAIK, they've no reason to tie the phone to the network. You are legally obliged to pay the bill for the full contract regardless of what sim you use.
    Good enough for me.

O2 unlocked my 4 pretty much as soon as I got it too, should come in fierce handy when travelling next year!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

OK good news, I have gotten the phone jailbroke, its on version 4.1(8B117) my current baseband is 04.10.01. snowbreeze had the shsh blobs saved. whats the highered untethered version I can upgrade to whilst relying on an unlock from cydia (I may be able to get an unlock from three via itunes)

4.3.5 or else ios5 and install semi tether from cydia

Just loaded up iPhone3,1_4.3.5_8L1_Restore through redsn0w and it after doing it and said the jialbreak for this device is currently *tethered* has to be booted through redsn0w... guess that FW won't do so, will have to try 4.3.3 so..

sorry i thought it was untethered, 4.3.3 definitely is untethered cos it's the last jb firmware i had on my 4

Ah right not too worry. I put 4.4.3 on it and its untethered, so that'll do for the time being, hope ios5 would be untethered by christmas would be v nice!

While I am manually selecting firmware 4.3.3 & 4.3.1 in redsn0w and it think its jailbreaks sucessfully, but when i check the firmware on the phone it still shows up as being 4.1? and has the settings I had it on, why would it think it updated it when it hasn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

L'prof wrote: »

Good enough for me.

O2 unlocked my 4 pretty much as soon as I got it too, should come in fierce handy when travelling next year!

I wonder would Meteor do this???

• Advertisement

sillymoo wrote: »
    I wonder would Meteor do this???
    I've never understood the issue of getting phones unlocked. PayAsYouGo there is obvious the fact that they want to lock you in, but for bill it should be ok.

I wonder what would happen if you just restored via itunes, would it unlock? Vodafone didn't actually do anything.

While I am manually selecting firmware 4.3.3 & 4.3.1 in redsn0w and it think its jailbreaks sucessfully, but when i check the firmware on the phone it still shows up as being 4.1? and has the settings I had it on, why would it think it updated it when it hasn't?
    have you restored to 4.3.3 using itunes, you need to use sn0wbreeze to create a custom 4.3.3 and restore to that and then run redsn0w again and select 4.3.3 and that should be it

I've created my custom 4.3.3 in sn0wbreeze, then I go through the steps of it putting it into dfu mode, tells me to launch up itunes, I do that itunes tells me it has to check the software of the phone, I let it. it then sees the phone, I shift+restore to my desktop 4.3.5 and then it give me error 3194, btw snowbreeze seems to go back to the home menu when I check back on it

I've created my custom 4.3.3 in sn0wbreeze, then I go through the steps of it putting it into dfu mode, tells me to launch up itunes, I do that itunes tells me it has to check the software of the phone, I let it. it then sees the phone, I shift+restore to my desktop 4.3.5 and then it give me error 3194, btw snowbreeze seems to go back to the home menu when I check back on it
    try this, i had a ballache trying to restore to 4.3.3

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73434610&postcount=2143

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Hi folks

I have a secondhand i phone 4 coming my way tomorrow locked as far as I know, I don't know any of its details as yet but worse case lets say I cant jailbreak and unlock are any of the unlocking shops of use in network unlocking it for me?

Cheers in advance.

bryaner wrote: »
    Hi folks

I have a secondhand i phone 4 coming my way tomorrow locked as far as I know, I don't know any of its details as yet but worse case lets say I cant jailbreak and unlock are any of the unlocking shops of use in network unlocking it for me?

Cheers in advance.

Depends on the baseband (modem firmware) version. If it's 01.59.00 then you can unlock it. Anything other than that and you can't unless you use a Gevey SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 feeditout

Hi folks

Cheers in advance.

If you log into there website to which the phone is locked to, you can request an unlock code via the network carrier ( Vodafone, 02) from apple. If the request is successful and you get conformation you'll unlock the iPhone through iTunes. I factory unlocked my iPhone 4 about 2 weeks ago through 02.

Karsini wrote: »
    Depends on the baseband (modem firmware) version. If it's 01.59.00 then you can unlock it. Anything other than that and you can't unless you use a Gevey SIM.

Thanks, are the shops no use if its a different firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 feeditout

Karsini wrote: »
    Hi folks

Cheers in advance.

Only true if your jailbreaking. Whatever baseband you have apple can unlock it.

• Advertisement

feeditout wrote: »
    If you log into there website to which the phone is locked to, you can request an unlock code via the network carrier ( Vodafone, 02) from apple. If the request is successful and you get conformation you'll unlock the iPhone through iTunes. I factory unlocked my iPhone 4 about 2 weeks ago through 02.

Thanks only problem is its not my phone..

Advertisement