Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

biko wrote: »
    bryaner wrote: »
    I have got in contact with the previous owner and he has requested an unlock form o2, my next question is will it unlock from my i tunes account or will he have to unlock it from his account..
    I've only unlocked other phones but every time the code has been entered into the phone itself using the keypad, not through the computer.

My iPhone 4 was unlocked by apple through iTunes at O2s request.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

L'prof wrote: »
    My iPhone 4 was unlocked by apple through iTunes at O2s request.

Just got an e-mail from o2 telling that the phone would be unlocked via i tunes, plugged her in and hey presto I'm up and running sweet, thanks for all the advice..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sound, good to know they do it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Hey guys,

Bit of another problem,
    Got an Iphone 4 as a present for my girlfriend, it was second hand and locked to O2 when i bought it. Before i got it unlocked i fully updated it as i know you can't update again after unlocking it to all networks. So I fully updated it to IOS 5.0 (it was before IOS 5.1 came) unlocked it and happy days her meteor Sim works in it.

Just today though she keeps getting the notification saying that there's an update available. she knows she can't update it so it's a bit annoying to have the little 1 icon indicating that there's one available.

Is there any way of turning off automatically checking for updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Hey guys,

Bit of another problem,
    Got an Iphone 4 as a present for my girlfriend, it was second hand and locked to O2 when i bought it. Before i got it unlocked i fully updated it as i know you can't update again after unlocking it to all networks. So I fully updated it to IOS 5.0 (it was before IOS 5.1 came) unlocked it and happy days her meteor Sim works in it.

Just today though she keeps getting the notification saying that there's an update available. she knows she can't update it so it's a bit annoying to have the little 1 icon indicating that there's one available.

Is there any way of turning off automatically checking for updates?
    how did you unlock it, if it was through itunes you have nothing to worry about, it won't be locked again

however if you used ultrasn0w then don't update

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    how did you unlock it, if it was through itunes you have nothing to worry about, it won't be locked again

The previous owner requested O2 to unlock it, got proof of this and bought it off him, then got the confirmation from O2 to unlock it through iTunes.

So if i unlocked it legitimately through iTunes and with the previous network than i am able to update it while keeping it unlocked?

yeah once its unlocked through itunes it is the same as a factory unlocked iphone

guil wrote: »

The previous owner requested O2 to unlock it, got proof of this and bought it off him, then got the confirmation from O2 to unlock it through iTunes.

So if i unlocked it legitimately through iTunes and with the previous network than i am able to update it while keeping it unlocked?

Just updated it and it's all perfect ,

Thanks a lot guil!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

Folks Really badly stuck.

Updated iphone 3gs to ios 5.0.1

Jailbroke it with redsn0w and cydia working no problem

Upgraded the baseband to 6.15 ipad

Tried to unlock with Ultrasn0w but no luck, no service when i put in my vodafone sim (locked to o2 network and have to pay extra to unlock it!)

Any suggestions???? Really could do with some advive.

Also anyway to downgrade to ios 4.3.3???

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What version of ultrasn0w did you use? Did you see this?
    http://cydiahelp.com/unlock-iphone-4-iphone-3gs-on-ios-5.0.1-with-ultrasn0w-fixer/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Soarer

Hi guys.

Has anyone had redsn0w get stuck on "Identify" when trying to Just Boot?

I've upgraded my 4 from 5.0 (Jailbroken) to 5.0.1, and Redsn0w seems to have worked it's magic (installed Cydia, etc.). It says I have to Just Boot now for things to kick in, but when I put it into DFU, redsn0w just hangs on the next screen "Indentifying".
    I've tried on a different computer and it's the same.

Any ideas?

Edit: Figured it out. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

biko wrote: »
    What version of ultrasn0w did you use? Did you see this?
    http://cydiahelp.com/unlock-iphone-4-iphone-3gs-on-ios-5.0.1-with-ultrasn0w-fixer/

Hi Biko,

yes tried the fix but it failed to load and keeps giving error messages, as did another version.

Used redsn0w 0.9.9b8. Got it working eventually though through a manual fix :D

here are the details for anyone in the same predicament:

http://www.ijailbroken.com/2011/12/no-service-unlock-fix-for-iphone-3gs-on.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

People - I'd love some help!

I bought an Apple TV the other day and have tried to Jailbreak it. It wouldn't go past the DFU mode part and a google search lead me to this section of boards.

I've tried the following with two different micro USB cables but that hasn't made any difference.

However, I now get the below error message when the device is connected. Nothing else is connect (im using a 2009 13" macbook). The apple TV will no longer power up / connect with the UBS only - due to the below message. I needs the mains power - which then leads to the same error.

I've also tired rebooting with the alt + cmd + R + P keys held down but it made no difference

ve7l0m.png

If I plug in my external mains power external HD, the HD works fine. If I add the apple tv (with mains power) and I get the same error message but the HD still works. If i disconnect the mains from the apple TV it powers down and won't work from the USB only (too much power message appears).

I've only had it just over a day. The very first time I connected it to the macbook I didn't get a power error - but also didn't succeed in jailbreaking it....see DFU probelm (visus circle :()

Its running software 4.4.4 and OS 5.0.1. I've been using the seas0nPass software.

Any ideas how to fix this and get my jailbreak working?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

HI lads I have had a confirmation from three that my request should be done now & to connect it to itunes,
    connect it to itunes & it doesn't say any carrier unlock avail or anything,
    i am on 4.1 and its jailbroke.. do I have to update it to the latest to get the carrier unlock? I have tried another sim in it & it unlocks but don't get a service..

have you got ultrasn0w installed, remove and restart the phone and sync again with a diff sim in

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

The ultrasnow source is added alright, but its not installed. the phone was locked to three. I was in the meteor store eariler & got a new number they tried selling me credit & saying credit needed to activate the sim, but he said I could buy credit in a shop & ring 1947 to add it, so I hope the sim is activated. just did the sync there & it backed it up & nothing came up about it being unlocked. if I remember I was able to carrier unlock my 3gs while it was jailbroken in itunes

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ArklowHoop

is there a 5.01 iPhone 4S jailbreak yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Hi guys wud love some help.I've a 3GS on 4.1 and 06.15.00 baseband and looking to update to the latest iOS 5.now I have latest iTunes and downloaded the latest ultrasn0w snowbreeze and custom ispw. etc..now how do I update this without messing up?do I do it via iTunes or what.my sshh blobs are saved to 4.3.1.thanks for Ur help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

ArklowHoop wrote: »
    is there a 5.01 iPhone 4S jailbreak yet?

Yip,being tested alright. Probably available over the next few days.
    Theres a post about it back a page or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Reefer Jones

Hi
    I just bought an iphone 3gs off ebay, hong kong seller. phone has arrived and its perfect. The seller claims it has been factory unlocked by apple and can update to ios 5 and higher no problem. Its currently on ios 4.1 and baseband 05.16.02. Had a look at the selllers feedback and someone else who bought one off him left negative feedback saying "software unlocked w.downgraded baseband, not factory unlock". Is there any way i can tell if this phone has been factory unlocked? should i upgrade or is it best just to leave it on ios4.1 for now? Phone is a present for the wife so i'm not sure if i should bother trying to jailbreak.
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Hi
    I just bought an iphone 3gs off ebay, hong kong seller. phone has arrived and its perfect. The seller claims it has been factory unlocked by apple and can update to ios 5 and higher no problem. Its currently on ios 4.1 and baseband 05.16.02. Had a look at the selllers feedback and someone else who bought one off him left negative feedback saying "software unlocked w.downgraded baseband, not factory unlock". Is there any way i can tell if this phone has been factory unlocked? should i upgrade or is it best just to leave it on ios4.1 for now? Phone is a present for the wife so i'm not sure if i should bother trying to jailbreak.
    Cheers
    for a start there is no way possible to downgrade the baseband on an iphone 3GS, only the firmware can be downgraded

the phone you bought had 4.3.1 installed cos thats what the 05.16.02 bb is from, is the phone working with any sim now, if so it seems to be factory unlocked because ultrasn0w won't work with that bb

Cheers,
    i've tried my own o2 sim and its working fine. just worried that it might brick if upgraded to 5.01 or if i have to restore somtime in the future. If it was on 4.3.1 originally why would it be on 4.01 now? probably ok just always a bit suspicious of hong kong sellers!

the firmware was 4.3.1, thats different to the baseband and can be downgraded provided you have a backup of shsh blobs

if you have another sim try that and if it works i'd say its factory unlocked

cheers i'll give that a try.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Anyone in the North Kerry/West Limerick area able to jailbreak my Apple tv for me?

Cant seem to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Hot off the press http://blog.iphone-dev.org/redsn0w-iOS5 see update #17

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Soarer

Loads in this thread to go through, so can someone tell me if it's possible to jailbreak a 4S on 5.0.1?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Soarer wrote: »
    Loads in this thread to go through, so can someone tell me if it's possible to jailbreak a 4S on 5.0.1?

Thanks.
    Not yet

• Registered Users Posts: 33 feeditout

Thanks.

I think there's only a tethered jailbreak available for iOS 5, meaning you'll have to jailbreak everytime the device is rebooted. Not an ideal solution. Waiting for the work around myself. Dev team will release pwnage tool/ red snow as soon as it ready :) hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 feeditout

feeditout wrote: »

Thanks.

I think there's only a tethered jailbreak available for iOS 5, meaning you'll have to jailbreak everytime the device is rebooted. Not an ideal solution. Waiting for the work around myself. Dev team will release pwnage tool/ red snow as soon as it ready :) hope this helps.

Heres a little more info
    http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/269367/20111219/ios-5-jailbreak-new-redsn0w-0-9.htm

Untethered link at end of article....

Advertisement