Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy 'dry' sundried tomatoes?

• 09-03-2009 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

...not the ones in oil.

I used to buy these in Lidi for next to nothing. Now I have been informed that they will not be stocking them anymore :(

I have just checked tesco, dunnes and Fallen & Byrne and I can't seem to find them anywhere.

I have recently discovered the joys of baking tomatoe bread and they are an essential ingredient. Plus they are great to throw into any dish to make it a bit more rich.

Does anyone know where I could get these?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I just use the ones in olive oil for my sun-dried tomato and olive bread ... works just as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You can get Roma Branded ones in Tesco in Galway (maybe not always though). I'd say ask one of the Tesco managers they might be able to get them in for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You can get them in Dunne's. They're on the stand with all the tubs of seeds and nuts, I think the brand is 'Jan's'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The place in George's St Arcade/South City Market might do them loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Miss No Name

Thanks for that. I have been looking in city centre tesco/dunnes so they are prob not well stocked.

But thanks for letting me know that they do exist in these shops - I've been wandering around aimlessly not knowing what section to check out.

Alun, my recipe tells me not to use the oil version ones but its good to know yours works out all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

You can get them in Superquinn! They always have them next to the normal tomatoes in the veg section.

Alun, my recipe tells me not to use the oil version ones but its good to know yours works out all the same.
    That's funny, 'cos my recipe says explicitly to use the ones in oil. I can't see it making any real difference anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

As above you can buy them in the pasta section of most shops - Superquinn, Tesco, Dunnes etc. - and in some of the veg section.

TBH I've found the ones in oil to be much more tasty and less work as the dried ones need to be soaked and drained a couple of times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Have you tried drying your own?
    Halve your chosen tomatos (preferably thick fleshed ones) and put them on a grill tray. Put them cut side up. I use a cake cooling rack too so that I can get two lots drying in the oven.
    Warm the oven to it's lowest possible level, 100C or less. Throw a little salt over the cut tomatoes, rock salt if you have it. Stick 'em in the oven for 6 hours or so. Perfect. Put 'em into some airtight container and they will last for months.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

OldGoat wrote: »
    Have you tried drying your own?
    Halve your chosen tomatos (preferably thick fleshed ones) and put them on a grill tray. Put them cut side up. I use a cake cooling rack too so that I can get two lots drying in the oven.
    Warm the oven to it's lowest possible level, 100C or less. Throw a little salt over the cut tomatoes, rock salt if you have it. Stick 'em in the oven for 6 hours or so. Perfect. Put 'em into some airtight container and they will last for months.

This guy was looking for sundried tomatoes, I think that a minor thing is missing in your recipe: the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

My mam used to bake with sun when we were kids. She used to let me lick it off the wooden spoon before she popped the mix in the oven. Supermarkets don't stock it anymore though.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

This guy was looking for sundried tomatoes, I think that a minor thing is missing in your recipe: the sun.
    Sadly not enough sun yet to dry the tomatos so rather then wait till the height of summer I gave the OP a method of producing dried fruits that can be used this week. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Sadly not enough sun yet to dry the tomatos so rather then wait till the height of summer I gave the OP a method of producing dried fruits that can be used this week. :)
    Yes, and I also doubt very much that most commercially produced sundried tomatoes (even ones from Italy) are actually dried out in the sun either, not that it makes the blindest difference where the heat to dry them out comes from anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, and I also doubt very much that most commercially produced sundried tomatoes (even ones from Italy) are actually dried out in the sun either, not that it makes the blindest difference where the heat to dry them out comes from anyway.

Ahaha I totally agree, all the tomatoes sold as sundried tomatoes are dried on ovens, I know this.

Anyway, there is a *BIG* difference between sun dried tomatoes and the ones dried on ovens, it's not a matter of heat, trust me; actually you should try by yourself rather than trust me :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yeah but have you got a brand name of anyone in Ireland who supplies genuine bona fide dried in sunshine sundried tomatoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I found them today! "Jan's Sundried Tomatoes". Got them in Dunnes Stores, Corneslcourt, Dublin. €2.49 (not in ANY oil)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Ahaha I totally agree, all the tomatoes sold as sundried tomatoes are dried on ovens, I know this.

Anyway, there is a *BIG* difference between sun dried tomatoes and the ones dried on ovens, it's not a matter of heat, trust me; actually you should try by yourself rather than trust me :-)

Indeed there is, but it is attainable. Firstly a gas oven works best. Light the pilot. close the door, DO NOT turn on the oven.

quarter your tomatoes, put on a scone cooling rack as mentioned above.
    Under the rack, on the tray put some rosemary, thyme, fine sliced fresh garlic.

Place in the oven and leave over night. if your gas oven is small in size, get a tea spoon, put it between the door and side of oven, keeps the door ajar a tiny bit. lets the temp not get too hot, and doesn't let the oven go cold.

When their dried out, take the dried and shriveled up garlic and herbs, put them in an airtight box. lay the tomatoes on top and toss in olive oil, pommace will do but extra virgin is best (even lidl and alDi for this job).

Leave for another day. Don't do what the suoermarkets do and leave them swimming in oil. defeats the purpose.

Advertisement