Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mumps

Options
  • 09-03-2009 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

So how many confirmed cases in the college now???

and how do we solve the problem....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Junior #8 wrote: »

not sure on numbers - must be near double figures?? but you'd have to be living under a rock to not know about this...

i've lost count of the amount of texts and emails i've gotten from the college over the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

smemon wrote: »
    not sure on numbers - must be near double figures?? but you'd have to be living under a rock to not know about this...

i've lost count of the amount of texts and emails i've gotten from the college over the last few months.

No he is not living under a rock, i say he is at home still recovering :D:D:D:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Its got to be at least in double figures. I know of 4 anyway but there has to be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

did anybody make use or need to make use of the free vaccinations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

I am not in the college but i heard there was something like 40 cases

Spread over rag week!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr. Razzcocks

I think the amount of O'Neills hoodies is a bigger concern than mumps tbh!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Junior #8 wrote: »

There is NO effective treatment for mumps.

Average vaccination with MMR of over 95% the population in all countries will eliminate it forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Junior #8

Hmm....yes i am a victim.....but i got both vaccinations, which makes it all the more confusing....
    anyway it was worth it for rag week, Rockfield FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Over 80 cases, one very serious with a 3rd year computing student being out for at least a month

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The vaccine is 90% effective , I don't know is this per dose or when you have both MMR's.

For measles one MMR is 90% effective and when you get the second one you have 99% protection. This is why everyone should be vaccinated, once you get over 95% vaccination rates then the disease won't spread and will die out and future generations would not have to worry about it.

Between 1900 and 1977 smallpox killed over 300,000,000 people.
    One lab worker died in 1978 accidental.
    Since then no deaths.

There no reason apart from FUD that we shouldn't have got rid of measles , mumps and rubella by now
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7312603.stm War-torn Somalia eradicates polio

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 22moomoo

So are the dreaded mumps gone,
    Has the colleges sophisticated health system finally eradicated the problem or is the virus still lurking in some quiet corner of the engineering department or behind a toilet in the bar?

All i can say is thank god i'm over it because its not something i'd take any joy out of looking forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Had them. Had both vaccinations aswell.

The reason that they are so widespread is that they have reason be believe that it's a new strain of the virus OR there was a batch of vaccinations that were dodgey.

There were over 90 cases anyway. When I had them there was 80 something and I know o a few people who got them after that.

In fairness, I think they are gone for the most part. Haven't heard of a case in a good while.

im...LOST wrote: »
    Had them. Had both vaccinations aswell.
    Vaccinations are not 100% effective, that's why we need to have as many people vaccinated as possible to provide herd immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

know of another guy who just got them a few days ago - not over yet ;)

doesn't seem limited to just dkit though...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

smemon wrote: »
    know of another guy who just got them a few days ago - not over yet ;)

doesn't seem limited to just dkit though...

Maybe they just used dkit as an experimental site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Yeah, I heard WIT was hit pretty hard. Dunno if that's Waterford IT or Wexford IT but does it really matter? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

im...LOST wrote: »
    Yeah, I heard WIT was hit pretty hard. Dunno if that's Waterford IT or Wexford IT but does it really matter? :P

You forgot Wanker Institute Of Technology. :)

Advertisement