Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T90si Trition Shower Am replacing with T90xr

• 09-03-2009 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Folks

At the moment we have a triton T90si 8.5kw shower, but am replacing it with a Triton T90xr 9.5kw getting teh plumber to put up and take down the old shower, whats the difference between a 8.5kw and 9.5kw? I bought the 9.5kw in a well known store, will it be okay to wire up that model beacuse its 9.5kw?

THanks in Advance

Spartan33

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

This original Shower may have been cabeled in 6.sq.mm T+E, the 9.5KW unit will require a 10.sq.mm cable, hopefully the original cable is 10.sq.mm . In some cases with very short runs the 6sq.mm cables dont give an issue.

But the official line is the bigger load showers require a 10.sq.mm cable, (they can also burn out some of the 40 Amp Double pole pull cord switches.

Note Electric Showers are the load most likely to burn their cable out in an average home, so its not worth the risk IMHO. there are loads of postes here about burnt out switches etc from showers. - People stay in them too long :)

The showers in my house are have single gang MK 45 Amp wall mounted switch (short cooker switches) these dont give the issues pullcords do, and need to be outside the room, just like a light switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

Many thanks for the reply Stoner, yes the switch for the shower in the bathroom is one of those pull cord things, would the plumber be able to see if the right wiring is there to handle a 9.5kw or would I be better to go back to the store and get a 8.5kw model, can I just ask you also is there a major difference with regards the two of them anyway? i.e. performance etc.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

To be honest, I dont know if there is a difference or not, I'm not going to BS you, but if you were happy with the 8.5KW one then why not just go down that road again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

Thanks for the advice all taken on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

the 9.5 should give higher pressure for a given temp. and vice-versa with the extra 1kw of heating but as already said needs a 10sq and exceeds the rating of regular 40amp pull-cords/wall-switches and rcbo's and the suitability of the mains supply for these should be checked obviously

• Advertisement
Advertisement