Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

signing on every 4 weeks??

Options
  • 09-03-2009 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

This is my 1st thread so i hope im posting it in the right section...

im going to collect my first jobseekers benefit payment Wednesday and in the letter i got this morning, they said i have to "sign on" every 4 wks... im just wondering what does this involve? must i go in every 4 wks and fill out more forms or get interviewed or whats the story?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

you show up at the social welfare - you'll see a big line up and you'll join it.

When you get to the front of the line you either hand over your yellow slip (temporary) or your social welfare card and sign a piece of paper.

It would take 10 seconds but for the waiting in line which, in my experience, can take up to 45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

It literally just signing your name to say that you are actively seeking employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Just consider yourself lucky if you're not from the Dun Laoghaire area, the line stretches out of the office, up the street and around another street ! My younger brother was in the line for over 2 hours.

I'll be signing on myself soon for the first time (taking voluntary redundancy) and not really looking forward to it at all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 belle04

ok cool, thanks for the replies!

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Just consider yourself lucky if you're not from the Dun Laoghaire area, the line stretches out of the office, up the street and around another street ! My younger brother was in the line for over 2 hours.

I'll be signing on myself soon for the first time (taking voluntary redundancy) and not really looking forward to it at all :(

:eek:

Holy Fuk!!

My cousin signs over month and in his part of the country he is in and out in 10 mins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

What happens if you miss your sign on day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

what time on the thursday does the money go into a persons account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

faigs wrote: »

Far as I remember, though it could've changed, you need to present yourself at the social the very next morning and have a reasonable excuse as to why you missed your sign on day, then hope they believe you. Otherwise, I think you can be cut off.
    Maybe someone with more knowledge on this can give you a more definitive answer though.

faigs wrote: »

You get cut off and your payments stop unless you present yourself to the Social Welfare as soon as possible and have a good excuse why you missed your signing on day. IMO if your getting help from the state the least thing you can do is remember to sign on - although i understand things can slip the mind.
    what time on the thursday does the money go into a persons account?

If your lucky enough to have your payment going into your bank account (as now all new applications have to collect their payment in the Post Office) and it is due every Thursday say, the payment should be in your account at either Midnight on Thursday morning or 9am.

Advertisement