Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request for direct debit details by text??

Options
  • 09-03-2009 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Welcome to another jackie skelly thread.in short as the title says i went down to jackie skelly and had a look around.having heard so so so many bad stories about them i refused to sign there so i could look up info and have a think and see other gyms in my area although js is closest.The membership salesperson was very pushy even tried to block my exit saying ah come on!!!sign up!!! I was very uncomfortable with this but i use a gym a lot and didnt mind the 10 month contract.i was also told it was 10 months no cancellation fee or notice period and after that i would be out of contract on a month by month basis.-is this true???i see a lot of stories with people getting sucked into 2 month cancellations that they werent told about.anyhow a few days later whn i had thought i would sign up to them i got a text from a regular number from someone saying they worked there and wanted my account details to set up a direct debit.i find this totally unproffessional and im wondering if thats even legal?i never told them i would sign up but it sounds like someone processed my application anyhow. i want to get this clarified because if it is illegal im not signing with them,if i already have problems before i sign up and after all the dodgey stories i think ill just go somewhere else.thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 IrishBusiness

OP - when i signed with my gym they gave me a copy of the contract which had all the terms and conditions. if they gave you an application form they should be on it.

as regards the DD by text, you generally have to sign in writing when setting up a DD to confirm you are authorizing it, so that all sounds a bit fishy to me :confused:

sounds like you'll lose a few pounds worrying about it before you ever get to the gym! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Mcfast

i havent signed on i just went into look around.i told them i was viewing more gyms before i signed up to anything.they never gave me an application form or terms and conditions etc,just asked me to fill out a contact sheet with my name number and address

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Run, run VERY fast, JS are the lowest of the low, just read all the post here about them.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

My gf went in for a free trial, they hounded her with phone calls for weeks afterwards trying to get her to sign, in the end she had to tell them she had moved out of Dublin. How did they get your mobile number?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I do agree, they hound you when they want your money and avoid you when theyve done something wrong. I had 2 kids in swimming lessons and was given a flyer stating a special re-booking discount which was 20 dearer than the previous term. I approached the manager explaining I wasnt happy about a price increase being flagged as a discount.

He got very very cocky and arrogant and eventually decided well i'll give it to you thi once but if it comes back to me from anyone else I know where this camne from....... Well I ended up leaving with 2 crying kids and telling the manager I would not get into an argument with him and would just take my business elsewhere.

Headoffice claimed that it was a club issue and to bring it to them and I explained why would I bring a complaint about a manager to the manager who caused the issue??????

Go elsewhere, you'd be nearly guaranteed if you went in there that the person beside you on the threadmill has a completely different price for the same service. I was quoted 59 a month for a membership, another mammy in there 65..... no difference ebtween what we were getting.

• Advertisement

sounds a bit dodgey alright.which js clubs are ye talking about?

does anyone know if requesting a direct debit by text is legal? if i texted back my details would that become a contract? im not going to,im very uncomfortable with it but id like to know what the story is with it-ive never come across it before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 dolly13

I have only recently come out of a seven month long arguement with Jackie Skelly Fitness I don't even no where to start I would strongly suggest that anyone even considering joining Jackie Skelly fitness have a look at www.jackieskellymembership.net I think the most interesting thing about them is that they are not registered as a gym but as a debt collector.

JS kept my visa card details on file without my consent and then went and debited money from my card without my consent I had to write to the data protection agency, the bank, the consumer crowd (can't remember their proper title), report the problem to the Garda fraud squad, the financial ombudsman and fill in papers to take them to the small claims court before I got my money back.

I was contacted by someone who was doing a prime time programme on JS for RTE looking for my story. I also had to send 17 letters by registered post to them. I did also try to ring them but my their staff are rude! I would really strongly urge everyone not to go any where near them they are absolute thieves! I can honestly say that although I use the gym a couple of days a week, if they offered me free membership for life I wouldn't use it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Mcfast wrote: »
    sounds a bit dodgey alright.which js clubs are ye talking about?

does anyone know if requesting a direct debit by text is legal? if i texted back my details would that become a contract? im not going to,im very uncomfortable with it but id like to know what the story is with it-ive never come across it before
    Regardless of the legalities, simply dont do it. You are sending your details out into the ether, you have no idea who is getting them and for what purpose. If you are signing up, do it in person, where you can read the fine print on your contract.

as i said im not planning on texting my direct debit details but would like to know the legality or accpetance of this practise?is it legal, does it enter you into a contract and is it common or are jackie skelly 2 sneaky to just phone you?its by far the closest gym to me although not the nicest.i just want all the facts first.thanks....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Mcfast wrote: »
    as i said im not planning on texting my direct debit details but would like to know the legality or accpetance of this practise?is it legal, does it enter you into a contract and is it common or are jackie skelly 2 sneaky to just phone you?its by far the closest gym to me although not the nicest.i just want all the facts first.thanks....

Contact IPSO - www.ipso.ie they are responsible for the dd system.
    From a brief Reading of the above you would be stone raving mad to give them any details in any format unless you have a debt wish!

• Advertisement
Advertisement