Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauticians out there, help! bikini wax GONE WRONG!

Options
  • 09-03-2009 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

If you're a beautician out there, I could do with some help! I got a bikini wax a couple of months ago and at the time I thought the girl that did it butchered me! Anyways presently I have lots of ingrown hairs that do not look in any way pleasant, and at this stage Im too embarrassed to go see a beautician...is there anything I can do because its actually really bothering me! If anyone has experienced this too Id love to get some advice! I feel like Im scarred for life:(

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Did you exfoliate the area at least twice a week after the wax? If not, the ingrown hairs are entirely your own fault I'm afraid! Try exfoliating to bring them closer to the surface, then you're simply going to have to try to get them out yourself with a tweezers or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

:eek: that must be really sore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AndyMacAttack

I did! Ah! What exfoliator would you recommend??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Growing back inwards is better than it not growing back at all

*grumbles*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Faith wrote: »
    Did you exfoliate the area at least twice a week after the wax? If not, the ingrown hairs are entirely your own fault I'm afraid! Try exfoliating to bring them closer to the surface, then you're simply going to have to try to get them out yourself with a tweezers or something.

The fact that Wibbs thanked this post is more than a little disturbing... I have a vision of him with a tweezers now :(:p:pac:

OP, I use St Ives apricot scrub (the invigorating one) for all my exfoliating needs... it's quite harsh, but that might be what you need at this stage!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AndyMacAttack

Is it!?!?! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Is it!?!?! lol

It is if you're male, trust me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Molly30

there is a brilliant product you can buy called Tend Skin for ingrown hairs....Brazilia used to sell it! they now sell another one which they say is as good, can't vouch for that one though cos I haven't tried it...but you can get Tend Skin on hqhair.com if you don't mind waiting a few days for it to be delivered! I have heard the Body Clinic (Wicklow st) sell it too though, although not sure if this is true! I find it great though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I always get at least one ingrown hair every time I get a wax. It's not generally a problem. I'd use a strong exfoliant to get the hair as close to the surface as you can, then use a combination of pinching the area around the hair to get it out, and tweezers. Also, it sounds gross, but if they're really stubborn, use a sterilised needle to tease them out from under the skin. They're not deep down, so you shouldn't feel much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jbl123

What you need is a product called Tend Skin. I'm not sure where to tell you to find it except online. I got mine in the UK.

You could also DIY: (much cheaper!)
    The main ingredient is actually aspirin...

Grind up some uncoated aspirin tablets...Make a paste with warm water. Use that to exfoliate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

squeeze them and tweeze them, make sure to put a bit of savlon or something on them to keep the infection away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

/puts on Mod hat

Listening to advice from people on the internet is up to you, but we strongly advise you to seek perfessional help, as in, in person professional help!

Ingrown hairs can be sore when not delt with properly can lead to infection and scaring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

jbl123 wrote: »

You could also DIY: (much cheaper!)
    The main ingredient is actually aspirin...

Grind up some uncoated aspirin tablets...Make a paste with warm water. Use that to exfoliate.

The main ingredient isn't aspirin, it's salicylic acid, from which aspirin is derived. Its a chemical exfoliant, and you would need to leave the paste on for some time for it to have a similar effect.

The exfoliating properties are the reason why aspirin can cause stomach upsets in some people, it can irritate the stomach lining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

The main ingredient isn't aspirin, it's salicylic acid, from which aspirin is derived. Its a chemical exfoliant, and you would need to leave the paste on for some time for it to have a similar effect.

The exfoliating properties are the reason why aspirin can cause stomach upsets in some people, it can irritate the stomach lining.

Salicylic acid is derived from Willow bark and is the main component of Alpha hydroxy acids, Beta hydroxy acids, aspirin, wart remover, and many brands of chemical exfoilant.

Even worse, hyaluronic acid is the main component of snot and is the main ingredient of filler injections, and many, many, moisturisers.

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jbl123

You can use it like a scrub though. If you grind the aspirin so it's still a bit grainy then it works very well as an exfoliating scrub..But for best results leave it on for 10 minutes too before rinsing.

Advertisement