Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs. Madrid Redux

• 09-03-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Only one day away, I'm fairly excited about this game. I think it'll be a real nail biter.

My prediction:
    Real Madrid to nick a goal by some flukey deflection, Liverpool unable to get anything up front due to injuries, goes to penalties and Liverpool win.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool will be fielding two men and a dog by the looks of it.

It'll be horrible, Real will score in first half and win with a late late goal.

Then we can concentrate on the league *cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Madrid need to score twice, can they? Certainly.

Rafa to park the bus, this time through no fault of his own.

If Madrid score Early there won't be a finger nail left on any Scouse supporter.

I'm going 2-2, Liverpool to slip though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Boggles wrote: »
    Madrid need to score twice, can they? Certainly.

Rafa to park the bus, this time through no fault of his own.

If Madrid score Early there won't be a finger nail left on any Scouse supporter.

I'm going 2-2, Liverpool to slip though.

Edit*

Made a mistake, forgot Liverpool were 1-0 up

Anyway i can see a dull 0-0 draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Torres was back in training today so i expect him to play

a very hard game to call but ill go for 1-1

On a side note im really looking forward to this

Also im looking forward to another rant by he Who Shall Not Be Named ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

0-0 written all over it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

0-0 and will be a horrible match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Real Madrid drew 1-1 with Atletico Madrid on Saturday with Huntelaar getting the goal. Report I read made it sound like Atletico's strikers missed a bagful of chances. Definately didnt sound like a decent performance by Real.

Riera suspended
    Benayoun out
    Torres, Arbeloa, Agger all questionable - and the probability of them playing is probably in that order, I'd imagine.
    Degen, Insua, El Zhar are all not part of the the Champions League squad

Reina
    LB Carra Skrtel Aurelio
    Masch Alonso
    Kuyt Gerrard LW
    FW

With all three of Arbeloa, Torres and Agger being maybes it's very tough to predict the team. However I would expect all of the players named above to start. After that the remaining players who might feature include.

Cavalieri, Hyypia, Dossena, Darby, Lucas, Babel, Ngog, Torres, Arbeloa, Agger, Spearing

If it was a case of Aurelio and Dossena on the left I'd prefer to see Aurelio LB with Dossena in front of him. Given the nature of the tie I think we're probably a lot likelier to see Dossena start ahead of Babel in the LW spot.

At LB my preference would be Arbeloa, Darby, Masch. If it did end up that Masch ended up there could well see Lucas alongside Alonso in midfield.

Up front it all depends on how fit Torres is. If he's fit he starts, then hopefully scores a hat-trick and comes off at half-time when either Babel or Ngog come on. I would fancy Ngog to start ahead of Babel as in terms of his work rate I'd rate him ahead of Babel if Torres isnt fit enough to start.
    Liverpool FC's Fernando Torres faces fitness test
    Mar 9 2009 by Ian Doyle, Daily Post

FERNANDO TORRES faces a make-or-break fitness test today for the match that will define the remainder of Liverpool’s season.

But Bernabeu matchwinner Yossi Benayoun has handed a fresh injury headache to Anfield manager Rafael Benítez.

Torres has been sidelined since suffering an ankle injury that forced him off during the 1-0 win over Real Madrid in their Champions League first knockout round first leg a fortnight ago.

Both the player and his manager expressed their confidence last week
    that the striker, who has undergone an intense rehabilitation programme, will line up against Real in tomorrow night’s Anfield return match.

But Benítez will only make a decision later today after putting Torres through his paces at Melwood.

One player definitely absent tomorrow is Benayoun, who is facing at least a fortnight on the sidelines after a training ground accident.

The Israeli headed a famous winner at the Bernabeu but suffered what Liverpool fear is a hamstring tear after colliding with a team-mate during training.

Benítez is also sweating on the fitness of right-back Alvaro Arbeloa, who has also not played since appearing at the Bernabeu.

Arbeloa returned to light training yesterday and has an outside chance of being available. However, fellow defender Daniel Agger is unlikely to be fit as he recovers from a back problem.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/liverpool-fc/2009/03/09/liverpool-fc-s-fernando-torres-faces-fitness-test-55578-23096501/

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I'd take a 0-0 snore fest right now. It's been a while since I've seen Liverpool playing 'beautiful' football. Middlesbrough game was just awful.
    However, on a much lighter note, I fully expect Torres to start and it'll be a rare enough occasion to have Torres and Gerrard on the Pitch at the same time. Yossi being out is a concern as he has impressed me quite alot over the last few months. Riera being out isn't great either even though he has gone off the boil recently. Most importantly is that we've a strong well organised back four. No goals conceeded and all is good.
    I do think it's worth pointing out that in the Bernabeu, Torres, bar one great effort forcing a great save, had no impact on the game and Gerrard only played 3-4 mins. With that we had everyone on here, esp ABL's, spouting on about how poor Real Madrid are.
    Personally I believe the players will have this in their heads and the major pluses being that the Torres-Gerrard partnership is back AND it's in Anfield, I can only see Liverpool going through to make it yet another great European night for the reds. I live and hope:)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

It's been a while since I've seen Liverpool playing 'beautiful' football.
    I think the premiership was still division 1 the last time that happened.

As for tomorrow nights match, i cant see anything other then Liverpool going through. Madrid go into the match on the back of a pretty poor league performance, only got a point thanks to an offside goal, although they went into the last match having scored 6 in the one half so form doesn't matter much. Without Huntelaar and Van Nistlerooy they just don't look like scoring much. Maybe if Robben learns to pas the ball they might have a chance, but i can't see it happening.

1-0 to liverpool is my guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

3-0 to los blancos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Anything could happen, but a 3-0 home loss is very unlikely. I'd say if Liverpool are going to lose it will be by the odd goal.

I really think that the most likely outcome is the drab snorefest but if Real were to get one early you just never know. The injuries could play a huge part in this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Reina
    ?? Carra Skrtel Aurelio
    Gerrard Masch Alonso Babel
    Ngog Kuyt

Maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

kinaldo wrote: »
    3-0 to los blancos

Lol, crazy Madridista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Liverpool will qualify. Simple fact is Liverpool are the better side. Evident from the first leg where Real were clueless if you ask me. Thye didnt know how to play Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think the premiership was still division 1 the last time that happened.

collymore_evans.jpg

article-1124864-012C7DA400000578-460_468x307.jpg
    kinaldo wrote: »
    3-0 to los blancos

Heh. Do you honestly believe that to be the most likely outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Bryan Habana

My gut feeling is 0-0 but I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool snatched the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

3-0

:rolleyes:

well as much as id like to see it happen, it wont :pac:

I think it will be a draw or a narrow win for real, extra time is a distinct possibility and eh... penos...well all know the outcome then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Its a cup competition and l'pool are leading, how could they lose?

1-0 to lpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Am looking forward to his one myself, as you do most champions league fixtures.

As always it is impossible to predict which way rafa will go with this one. It is a pity that they have so many injuries, but i think whatever team Rafa puts out will be capable of achieving a 0-0 which is all that is required.

Obviously from a neutral point of view you'd like to see a few goals in the game.

Torres has trained the past 2 days, and will train again this morning. Do Liverpool fans think that there will still be an eye cast towards Saturday's game?

Rafa seems to think a defeat on Saturday and the title is gone. In my opinion i think it is gone already, whether he plays Torres tonight i think will show Rafa's opinion. I don't think he will start, he is obviously a match winner and is there to be brought on, but it is always a dangerous game trying to play for a 0-0.

If Real score Liverpool will be in trouble, but in all fairness if it is the same Real team as the first leg, with the same approach and mentality, i can't see them scoring.

Liverpool to go through for me (also what i'm hoping for), with a 0-0 result tonight (not what im hoping for)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Can see the Pool going through tonight, also see goals in this game. Real will obv have to attack and Rafa will be quite content to counter attack - not so sure if he will start with Torres though. I think 2-1 to Liverpool on the night.

Possible team?

Reina
    Masch----Carra---Skertel----Aurelio
    Kuyt
    Lucas----Alonso----Babel
    Gerrard

Ngog

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

please God football (i.e. Madrid) will be the winner, hopefully an early goal for them to kick start things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

This has 0-0 all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

As a bit of an Atleti afficianado I feel I must say R.E thread title : theres more than one team in Madrid:rolleyes:
    It's like calling Manchester United Manchester

Anyway I think it's Liverpools to lose and if they can get an early goal it'll be over , However I think Real will score at least once so it's all set up for an intruiging encounter :cool:

Champions League - Match facts: Liverpool v Real Madrid

All the key facts ahead of this week's Champions League game at Anfield.

The Reds are unbeaten in their last seven Champions League matches, winning five times and not conceding more than once in any game.

In 12 knockout encounters Liverpool have won six of their first leg games, and only once have they then gone on to lose the tie, this was against Leverkusen in 2002.

Benfica were the last side to put two goals past Liverpool at Anfield in the Champions League and win in March 2006.

Liverpool have never beaten Spanish opposition at home in the Champions League, losing three and drawing three.

Real Madrid have only lost 1-0 in the first leg of a CL knockout tie on two occasions before. Against Arsenal in 2005/06, they could only manage a 0-0 draw in the second leg and in 2000/01, they lost the second leg in Munich 2-1.

Real Madrid have only been able to win one of their three CL second leg knockout ties against English sides - this coming against Manchester United (3-2) in April 2000.

The Spanish side have not managed an away win in the knockout stages of the Champions League in eight attempts.

Despite Spanish rivals Barcelona having scored more goals than any other side, Real Madrid have attempted more shots than any Champions League side this season (108).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

kida wrote: »
    please God football (i.e. Madrid) will be the winner, hopefully an early goal for them to kick start things

There was nothing fluid or attractive about Real two weeks ago just so you know. I think the real men should be the winner, not the pansies who drop to the floor at the first feel of contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

1-0 pool I reckon.

as much as I'm looking forward to seeing it, I suspect it'll be drab.

not that I will give a flying f*** if we win.

keeping madrid quiet for the first 20mins is THE key imo. if they don't manage to grab a goal then, we should get comfortable enough judging by the way we generally get through these european games.

YNWA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

2-1 Real.

Real through on away goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Torres or no Torres, Liverpool will go through, my guess? 3-1 on agg.

Assuming that neither side score more than two goals, there are the following possible results and subsequent outcomes.

0-0 Liverpool
    0-1 Penalties
    1-0 Liverpool
    1-1 Liverpool
    2-0 Liverpool
    2-1 Liverpool
    0-2 Madrid
    1-2 Madrid
    2-2 Liverpool

When you consider that Liverpool have conceeded only 8 goals in 14 home games in the Premier League and 3 goals in 5 home games in the Champions League at Anfield, you would think that Madrid's best hope of getting something out of the game would be penalties. As against that the ball is strongly in Liverpool's court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Assuming that neither side score more than two goals, there are the following possible results and subsequent outcomes.

0-0 Liverpool
    0-1 Penalties
    1-0 Liverpool
    1-1 Liverpool
    2-0 Liverpool
    2-1 Liverpool
    0-2 Madrid
    1-2 Madrid
    2-2 Liverpool

When you consider that Liverpool have conceeded only 8 goals in 14 home games in the Premier League and 3 goals in 5 home games in the Champions League at Anfield, you would think that Madrid's best hope of getting something out of the game would be penalties. As against that the ball is strongly in Liverpool's court.
    I was just thinking about this again, you mention their PL defensive record at home, but in fairness their CL record is better.
    They seem to concede a goal every other home game which is pretty impressive.
    So for me it reamains likely to be a snorefest and the likelyhood is Real Madrid do not score or score one only, but against this Liverpool in the Champions League outscore their opposition at home too often to make that one goal important.

I think Liverpool will score and therefore should qualify as I can't see Madrid getting two.

* I have been wrong before!

eagle eye wrote: »
    I was just thinking about this again, you mention their PL defensive record at home, but in fairness their CL record is better.
    They seem to concede a goal every other home game which is pretty impressive.
    So for me it reamains likely to be a snorefest and the likelyhood is Real Madrid do not score or score one only, but against this Liverpool in the Champions League outscore their opposition at home too often to make that one goal important.

PL 8 in 14 = concede 57% of the time
    CL 3 in 5 = concede 60% of the time

Pretty similar really.

I'd agree with you in a sense that it could well be one for the neutrals to avoid but I can guarantee you I'll be glued to it. ;)

Also I'm would mind a nil-nil draw, tense though it may be, as it reduces the likelihood of Real wanting Rafa.:)

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I think Liverpool will score and therefore should qualify as I can't see Madrid getting two.

* I have been wrong before!

Yeah I could easily imagine that if Liverpool get the first goal, then it could cause Real to thow in the towel at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yeah I could easily imagine that if Liverpool get the first goal, then it could cause Real to thow in the towel at Anfield.

I don't think this will be the case at all if Liverpool score first.

I think Ramos knows he has to score 2, 2-1 gets them through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'm hoping for an early Real goal to make a game of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You're the only one! Don't want to see us (try to) chase the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am very worried about this match. I think it is distinctly possible that we will be going out this round.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'd be shocked if Liverpool went out tonight tbh.

I am very worried about this match. I think it is distinctly possible that we will be going out this round.

Real Madrid were cut to shreds on numerous occasions on saturday against Atletico Madrid and were fortunate not to have conceded about 4-5 goals. Poor finishing is all that saved them. I cant for the life of me see that same team come to Anfield three days later and actually win.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Reina,
    Arbeloa, Carragher, Skrtel, Aurelio,
    Alonso, Mascherano, Kuyt, Gerrard, Babel,
    Torres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The line-up in full is: Reina, Arbeloa, Aurelio, Carragher, Skrtel, Babel, Kuyt, Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard, Torres. Subs: Cavalieri, Hyypia, Dossena, Ngog, Lucas, Spearing, Kelly.

Great team, I only hope Torres is properly fit. The bench is very, very weak though.

Reina

Arbeloa---Skrtel---Carra----Aurelio

Masch---Alonso

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Babel

Torres

Real Madrid Team:

Casillas; Pepe, Ramos, Cannavaro, Heinze; Gago, Diarra, Sneidjer, Robben; Higuain, Raul

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Pretty much full strength if Torres is fully fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Strangely enough I would actually be a it more confident of Liverpool going through if it was 0-0 from the first leg. There's a danger that they'll sit back this evening and defend what they have and let Madrid play like the "home" team attacking them for 90 mins. If that happens it could be adios Liverpool. I'm predicting a 1-0 win for Madrid. After that, who knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

redout wrote: »
    Real Madrid were cut to shreds on numerous occasions on saturday against Atletico Madrid and were fortunate not to have conceded about 4-5 goals. Poor finishing is all that saved them. I cant for the life of me see that same team come to Anfield three days later and actually win.

Having just seen the line up, I am a lot more confident about our chances tonight.

Having just seen the line up, I am a lot more confident about our chances tonight.

on paper it's about our best 11 possible (there's a case for maybe Agger who's obviously injured, Riera and possible Insua who again is cup-tied)
    but likewise way more confident seeing the line-up.
    not that I want us to sit back or anything but if we contain them for the first half they might start clutching at straws and if babel and torres are still on the pitch we might just have the pace to crucify them.

Shouldn't be the bore many were predicting anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Pighead wrote: »
    I'm predicting a 1-0 win for Madrid. After that, who knows!

That would mean peno's.

I can't see the pool going out though. I just hope it's a good match to get me set up for 2moro. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Happy with that line up. Babel better turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I think/hope Liverpool will get a couple of goals on the break with Babel and hopefully Torres' pace, I think we'll go through.

mike65 wrote: »
    Happy with that line up. Babel better turn up.

if he does turn up tonight it would be massive for us, please god this could be the turning point for his season (no reason to believe it will just hope)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Cant believe dossena isnt starting, i mean ffs, hes been our form player this season.......robben is gonna have a field day now, only one man in our squad that could have shackled him and benitez doesnt pick him.......im not confident at all now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement