Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs. Madrid Redux

15678911»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

thedoss.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Madrid being the form team in Europe when this draw was made is also a valid talking point.

absolutely, never said it wasn't.

i don't get why people are getting so defensive? we were incredible last night. nobody is saying we weren't.

i really don't get what's wrong with discussing madrid's faults at the same time. but sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He should be playing rugby, got the look of a lock

was delighted for him.

hopefully his confidence will now improve.

casillas, head in his arms, tells you all you need to know about how badly we outplayed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Madrid being the form team in Europe when this draw was made is also a valid talking point.

WTF ? The draw was made before Xmas, no ? Madrid were like about 12 points behind Barcelona at that stage and just fired the manager. Well I have to look it up to be sure but I am pretty sure that was the scenario when the draw was made Mr Alan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,103 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

redout wrote: »
    WTF ? The draw was made before Xmas, no ? Madrid were like about 12 points behind Barcelona at that stage and just fired the manager. Well I have to look it up to be sure but I am pretty sure that was the scenario when the draw was made Mr Alan.

i think he meant when the tie was about to commence.

Its great to be through and can enjoy watching the others sweat it out tonight. Theres bound to be one shock tonight

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Its great to be through and can enjoy watching the others sweat it out tonight. Theres bound to be one shock tonight

absolutely.

let's hope the shock comes from you know where ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

mike65 wrote: »
    He should be playing rugby, got the look of a lock

I don't think Dossena is 6' 5" ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

SlickRic wrote: »
    nobody's saying any of this.

i think the general consensus from fans is we were incredibly good last night, while at the same time madrid weren't at it.

nobody is taking anything away from liverpool, they've been congratulated numerous times from fans of all clubs for their performance. what more do we want?

madrid, with the pedigree they have, and their inability to compete in any way with what they came up against, no matter how good we were, is a valid talking point.

it doesn't take away from Liverpool though.

I think you've missed the point of monkey9s' post.

After every result that Liverpool have gotten this season that we didn't absolutely whitewash the opposition there have been people coming on screaming for Rafa's head. They claim that he can't play attacking football, can't sign proper players and can make substitutions that effectively change a game.

Monkey9 was parodying (if thats even a word:P) those people with his post.

rosboy wrote: »
    I think you've missed the point of monkey9s' post.

After every result that Liverpool have gotten this season that we didn't absolutely whitewash the opposition there have been people coming on screaming for Rafa's head. They claim that he can't play attacking football, can't sign proper players and can make substitutions that effectively change a game.

Monkey9 was parodying (if thats even a word:P) those people with his post.

fair enough, apologies monkey if i read into it wrong.

i just get a bit irritated when i detect defensiveness in the way we talk about Liverpool. monkey's may not have been, but there have been a fair few defensive posts when people have the gall to even mention the fact that madrid were bad on top of liverpool being incredible. people have been complimentary in this thread and some of us still feel the need to nitpick and get defensive over the smallest things.

we should be proud of our team regardless. if people think Liverpool are cr*p, let them. if people think the only reason we win a game is because of the faults of the opposition, let them. we know both those comments are ludicrous when they're said.

they're probably doing it to bait you in order to bring out the defensiveness and have a laugh. we shouldn't give people the satisfaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

This is the last point i will make on the game...
    Liverpool 4 - 0 Real Madrid = Man Utd 7 - 1 Roma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

evil_seed wrote: »
    This is the last point i will make on the game...
    Liverpool 4 - 0 Real Madrid = Man Utd 7 - 1 Roma

tbh....

when the Real Madrid team contains the likes of Casillas,Ramos,Cannavar,Schneider,Van Der Vaart,Robben,Raul & Helguena....

Liverpool 4-0 Real Madrid >>>>>>>> Man Utd 7 - 1 Roma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

tbh....

when the Real Madrid team contains the likes of Casillas,Ramos,Cannavar,Schneider,Van Der Vaart,Robben,Raul & Helguena....

They are both great achievements in fairness. I don't understand why folk need to get dragged into pointless arguments like this.

because Utd success on the pitch over the last 20 years is what we are trying to take back....to knock them "of their perch" if you will. comparing us against our biggest/second biggest rivals is a fair enough thing to do

• Advertisement

because Utd success on the pitch over the last 20 years is what we are trying to take back....to knock them "of their perch" if you will. comparing us against our biggest/second biggest rivals is a fair enough thing to do

They have been and generally are better. We have been on a par or slightly better than them in Europe in the past few seasons but have been way off them in the PL. We are second to United no matter way it is dressed up..

Arguing that us beating Real Madrid 4 nil is better than their result against Roma a few years ago achieves nothing. Real are better than Roma but they bet Roma by a greater margin. It makes absolutely no difference either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

tbh....

Have you forgotten the fact that Roma knocked out the same Real Madrid team in the quarter finals last season? Beat them 4-2 on aggregate.

it wasnt the same team Pighead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

it wasnt the same team Pighead.
    You're right. Last years version was probably slightly better. Robinho was in that team and more importantly Sergio Ramos wasn't.

ok pighead. ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

What a result last night just home after a long beer filled night in Liverpool.
    Excellent performances all round torres was like a man possesed but I was very impressed with our two fullbacks arbeloa won every ball and was very good going forward as for aurelio IMO was motm exceptional in every area of the pitch and when he is playing well he oozes class. Fair play to the Madrid fans who were still singing long after the final whistle that's what makes them the special club they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Anyone know were i can watch extended highlights of the game online ?

Edit - Nevermind, found them

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Helguena....

Helguera aint played for Madrid in almost 2 seasons Alan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

ffs with this silly argument.Liverpool are brillaint in Europe under Rafa and United the past couple of seasons have also been brillaint.

There is zero point in comparing the results agaisnt two teams from different countrys to make a snide remark.

United winning 7-1 was incredible

Liverpool winning 4-0 was incredible.

They are nowhere near comaparable as both of the opponents play different styles,have different players and come from goddamn different countrys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

tbh....

when the Real Madrid team contains the likes of Casillas,Ramos,Cannavaro,Schneider,Van Der Vaart,Robben,Raul & Higuain....

Liverpool 4-0 Real Madrid <<<<<<<<<< Man Utd 7 - 1 Roma

as they did it with a weaker team then we had out Tuesday night

fixed it all for ya :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

They are both great achievements in fairness. I don't understand why folk need to get dragged into pointless arguments like this.

Because it's not enough that you beat one of the best teams in Europe comprehensively 4-0, you need to also beat an achievement that United made 3 years ago :)

Some people are just so focused on the other club they don't seem to be able enjoy their own clubs success independently :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I agree with PHB there. Liverpool fans have such a complex on such matters.

Lads Real Madrid are rubbish and some people think its an amazing feat but only if it was a good Real Madrid side which this is most certainly not. Lets look at the facts here. No Q/Final appearance since 2004, been knocked out out the champions league at the last 16 for the past five consecutive seasons. Beaten in both legs of the knockouts by Roma in last seasons competition. Arsenal the year before then Bayern then Juve the seasons before that. Teams like Lyon, Villarreal and PSV have better recent records over the past five seasons than Real Madrid ffs. Its the name thats making people short sighted here. I would fully have expected Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea the have dispatched Real Madrid also just as I did Liverpool when the draw was made. This Real Madrid side are not good and if anything that was proven against Liverpool over the two legs. Barcelona are the only serious contenders from Spain and have been the past five seasons.

Barcelona are the only serious contenders from Spain and have been the past five seasons.

Might wanna tell Real that, considering they've won the league the last 2 years & are still in with a shot this year.

Lads-i apologise about my petty behaviour in regards to the Utd/Roma...Liverpool/Real game, i just a bee in the bonnet for the week with Utd fans (more so than usual!;))

anyway, i can admit when i am being a petty little ****er, and i was the other day, apologies.

Might wanna tell Real that, considering they've won the league the last 2 years & are still in with a shot this year.

I dont see how that in any way affects their bearing on the Champions league. In fact going on their results in the competition it hasnt. Barcelona who came 2nd both seasons you mentioned Real won la liga performed better in the Champions league. Just to add Real Madrids first of those titles was won on a head to head record unlike goal difference in the premier league (Which Barca were ahead) after both sides finished equal on points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I dont see how that in any way affects their bearing on the Champions league. In fact going on their results in the competition it hasnt. Barcelona who came 2nd both seasons you mentioned Real won la liga performed better in the Champions league. Just to add Real Madrids first of those titles was won on a head to head record unlike goal difference in the premier league (Which Barca were ahead) after both sides finished equal on points.

Did Liverpool beat Barca in the last couple of years?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Did Liverpool beat Barca in the last couple of years?

Yes, in the Camp Nou then lost at anfield and ended up going through on the away goals rule. What your point exactly ? All I said was Real Madrid are not a great team which is true.

redout wrote:
    I dont see how that in any way affects their bearing on the Champions league. In fact going on their results in the competition it hasnt. Barcelona who came 2nd both seasons you mentioned Real won la liga performed better in the Champions league.

Were you trying to make out Barca were better than Real, if not, what was your point?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Liverpool have a better record in Europe than United in the last 5 years.

Does that make Liverpool better than United?

United beat Roma 7-1, but only 2-0 over Inter? That's a team in decline if I ever seen one.

Do we have to keep pretending this sh*te means anything.

K-9 wrote: »
    Were you trying to make out Barca were better than Real, if not, what was your point?

Barcelona are better than Real Madrid and thats blindingly apparent. Liverpool are better over the past five seasons in the Champions league than Man Utd and Real Madrid over the past five seasons are not a great side.

Lolzor

torres2.jpg

You defo get the impression that he despises Real Madrid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I would think most Manchester United fans could admit and accept that the one blight of Fergusons record is Europe, considering his own goals, the teams he has had and the ability of himself, we have under achieved in Europe.... the great man even says that himself

What difference does it make to right now?

Liverpool played some of the most breath taking football seen all season to beat a lack lustre Madrid team, they have not won anything yet

Manchester United didnt get out of first gear to beat a lack lustre Inter team, they have won nothing yet (in europe this season obv)

At the moment we are champions of europe, therefore the best team n europe, we can either retain that crown this year or someone else will take it.

but there is no need to compare things from 5 years and 10 years and 50 years ago, it just doesnt matter.....

If liverpool have been statistically the best team in Europe for the past five years thats fine, we still have as many European titles as them in that time frame so whats the difference?

Also important to note that this was the biggest defeat ever sustained by Real Madrid in the clubs history in European competition. Which is a big deal considering they are the most sucessful European club of all time.

• Advertisement

I just think Real Madrid in Europe have been abismal. Villarreal overtook them as the 2nd highest ranked Spanish team by Uefa after this week results and most likely eliminated Real Madrid to the second pot of teams for next seasons draw. They were already the eight and last side to make this seasons top pot. There record is crap and have been beaten by most big sides who have played them over the past five seasons namely:

Juve (three times)
    Lyon (three times)
    Arsenal
    Bayern
    Bremen
    Roma (twice)
    Liverpool (twice)

Now look at that record and compare it to Barca, Man Utd, Pool etc over the past five seasons and one can really see how badly they have performed.

The only really big pedigree'd teams they played this season they've been beaten comprehensively by. 5 games - Liverpool X2, Barca, Juventus X2, lost all 5 games, and failed to score in every one of those games.

Advertisement