Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs. Madrid Redux

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool will be fielding two men and a dog by the looks of it.

It'll be horrible, Real will score in first half and win with a late late goal.

Then we can concentrate on the league *cough*

I love it when I make a wild prediction :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Poor Iker, please move to a better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Announcement made there,

I think Juande might be bringing on 10 year old josh!

Great performance by Liverpool so far, can think about bringing off players now, either for a rest or because they are on a yellow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

great to see liverpool not playing anti-football they should do it more often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Just seeing Gerrard and Torres tonight it does make you wonder what might have been if they had both fit for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Fair play to Liverpool.

BUT for everyone saying that the praise should be on Liverpool instead of criticising Madrid who are terrible, well if Liverpool play like this on Sat against Utd you have a point. Otherwise it is just a rubbish Madrid team who have imploded in the face of an admittedly very good Liverpool performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Are Real having a laugh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

OMG Raul nearly scored, sort of.

I presume Rafa will make some changes in the next 20 mins, get Gerrard, Torres and Masch off. Save them for Sunday.

Stevei G is now the CL top scorer this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Fair play to Babel, left foot and all!

Hmm Skrtle really lost Raul there. Guess it doesn't matter now though ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

OMG Raul nearly scored, sort of.

Was a nice move from them I thought. He probably should have scored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's hilarious, how over the last decade or so - and I include Houllier's reign in this - the amount of big name teams that Liverpool put to the sword only for people to say that 'oh, they only won because Madrid/Barcelona/Milan/Juve/whoever didn't play well.' The fact is, there is no team better in Europe than Liverpool at stopping their opponents from playing well - it's a skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Why can't we have this kind of commitment week in / week out in the premiership ?

Have to say, apart from obviously Torres and Gerrard, Alonso is doing everything right in the middle. Absolute class. Great stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I have been saying on here for months that Real Madrid are muck after been watching practically all of their games over the past several seasons or so and tonight aswell as last week has really shown it. Could anyone honestly see Pool do this to United, Chelsea or Arsenal ?

EDIT: before I get hounded take nothing away from Pools performance as they have been brilliant. Real are just overhyped because of who they are when the truth is this current side is rubbish.

A7X wrote: »
    That would mean peno's.

I can't see the pool going out though. I just hope it's a good match to get me set up for 2moro. :pac:

"facepalm"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Just seeing Gerrard and Torres tonight it does make you wonder what might have been if they had both fit for the league.

Absolutely. Anyone know how many league matches they both played in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

\o/

Nando didn't touch pepe..reply shows that.

peno...if henize hadn't made the arm movement it prolly wouldn't have been a peno, linesman called it and the liverpool player was prolly blocking his view so he saw henizes arm move and the ball as well. bit harsh but not complaining :)

missed the third and the second half as am in work :(

Nando does look very sharp and so up for it, <3 that man.

Amazing first half that I saw. Keep it up guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

What I said was check out the movement of Heinze's shoulder joint - I did not say it hit him on the shoulder.
    The shoulder joint moved forward throwing his arm forward.
    The ball hit the top front part of his arm just below the shoulder.
    If there was no intent Heinze's arm would't have moved as it did.

IMO penalty

oh dear, i wont even face palm that, its just too easy!

but check out the rules of football, then some basic physics, then take off the glasses seriously!!! lol

poor miss by Rauls standards there

Mike this is an exceptionally bad day at the office from Real, they are not this bad.....i give credit to Liverpool, they have not let them play, not let them breath....Madrid are by no means a great team anymore of course, but they are not as bad as they have been tonight and its down to how Liverpool have unsettled them

Another fantastic flowing move thwarted by a Cassillas save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Liverpool are a class act tonite, smothering the hell outta Madrid, this could end up 7-0! No-one will want them in the next round thats for sure....however terrible Real are, you can only beat whats in front of you....and they've made them look like MK Dons (no offence Dons fans :D)

• Advertisement

woooo232 wrote: »
    Fair play to Liverpool.

BUT for everyone saying that the praise should be on Liverpool instead of criticising Madrid who are terrible, well if Liverpool play like this on Sat against Utd you have a point. Otherwise it is just a rubbish Madrid team who have imploded in the face of an admittedly very good Liverpool performance.

In all honesty, right at this exact moment in time, I couldn't give a flying fcuk about Saturday.

Nice play by Babel there. Good to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

It's hilarious, how over the last decade or so - and I include Houllier's reign in this - the amount of big name teams that Liverpool put to the sword only for people to say that 'oh, they only won because Madrid/Barcelona/Milan/Juve/whoever didn't play well.' The fact is, there is no team better in Europe than Liverpool at stopping their opponents from playing well - it's a skill.

Madrid wore much before hand.. It's just making Liverpool's job a lot easier

Don't get me wrong, Liverpool are playing great.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

musician wrote: »
    Not at all at all.

Where'd you come out of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im delighted madrid are getting a trashing,maybe this will show Ronaldo the true colours of Madrid

A badly run club with a very very average team

they wouldnt even be in the top 4 in the EPL

QFT

Testify.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

well their usual method is simply putting 11 men behind the ball resulting in an awful game which liverpool scrape 1-0, not much of a skill

tonight however is an exception they have been awesome

Alonso first to be rested for Saturday. Lucas on

If this was a boxing match the ref would have called it by now.

Nasty one by Marcelo there

That was pure frustration from Marcelo. Masch has had another great game imo.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Liverpool fans singing "Rafas cracking up" lol, the irony.

Is the QF draw on this week or next? If it is on this Friday then the Pool Utd game at the weekend could be spiced up a hell of a lot if utd get through tomorrow and we draw them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I agree to an extent, but even if Madrid were allowed to play tonight then where would the creativity come from? Their central midfield is probably the least talented I've seen in a while in terms of being able to create things. It's simply a pair of holding midfielders.

Anyone think Lucas looks a bit like Craig Bellamy with the new haircut?

5starpool wrote: »
    Liverpool fans singing "Rafas cracking up" lol, the irony.

Is the QF draw on this week or next? If it is on this Friday then the Pool Utd game at the weekend could be spiced up a hell of a lot if utd get through tomorrow and we draw them.

Pretty sure it's Friday week the 20th of March

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I agree to an extent, but even if Madrid were allowed to play tonight then where would the creativity come from?

The two wingers they started are pretty handy imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Anyone think Lucas looks a bit like Craig Bellamy with the new haircut?

I think his new haircut can be described best as a "kuyt"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Samurai wrote: »
    well their usual method is simply putting 11 men behind the ball resulting in an awful game which liverpool scrape 1-0, not much of a skill

tonight however is an exception they have been awesome

Well you can't ignore their ability to beat teams when games become end to end and a bit harder to control. There's always a hunger that they have that Madrid/Barcelona/Milan/Juve don't. That hunger with rafa's organisation is what gets them far in this competition year in year out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I presume Rafa will make some changes in the next 20 mins, get Gerrard, Torres and Masch off. Save them for Sunday.

I hope for your sakes and the interest of an entertaining game they turn up before Sunday :p

Puntastic effort there:):):)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

5starpool wrote: »
    Where'd you come out of?

The opportunity to nit-pick your post dragged me out from under my rock.

bit stupid leaving on Torres and stevie G so far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

What a game, absolutely amazing all over the pitch.

COME ON POOOL

Gone pretty loose now - looks like a fair few of the Liverpool players are mentally saving themselves for Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Headshot wrote: »

Depends maybe they need game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The two wingers they started are pretty handy imo.

But Sneijder isn't a winger, and is completely wasted out there. Another stupid managerial decision, especially when the two cart horses in the middle can't give him the ball.

Gone pretty loose now - looks like a fair few of the Liverpool players are mentally saving themselves for Saturday.

Probably tired aswell tbh.

Here comes Spearing. lol, there couldn't be a simpler way of underlying how much of a canter this is now! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Headshot wrote: »

Rafa probably wants to do a ram it down your throat to the Spanish media who lambasted him after the first leg for being to defensive.

Spearing for Masch maybe?

Depends maybe they need game time.

suppose you could be right but with the Man utd game coming up he's a taking a chance

edit: stevie G is off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

They were never going to be able to keep up that pace and pressure for 90 mins. No team could especially when the game is already won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

hmm i have 3-1 at 150/1, i am quite torn...

Advertisement