Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs. Madrid Redux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Nah, Mascherano for me.

I thought Diarra was the only outfield Madrid player to come out of that with any credit. It was basically Casillas & Diarra vs Liverpool.

I would nearly stick Sniejder on the list up to the point where he got bored and gave up.

I was very impressed with Diarra though. He is obviously not worth 20 million but he would be an asset for virtually any team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Stekelly wrote: »
    Surely Sporting have something to say about that?

OT but good research by setanta BTW, apparently Bayern winning 7-1 is the biggest home win in ever CL, I mean it has only been a year since Liverpool beat Besiktas 8-0. Well done lads.
    I think they said in the knockout stages (they also forgot to mention that Bayern only equalled United's 7-1 win against Roma in the knockouts)

Long live Setanta!

EDIT: waaaaay too late. redout in before me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'd give Casillas man of the match (sympathy), he looked dejected at the start of the second half.

Without him, no exagerration it would have been 9-0.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Boggles wrote: »
    I'd give Casillas man of the match (sympathy), he looked dejected at the start of the second half.

Yea Casillas was class,definitely man of the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boggles, appologies for includuing you in my (apparently random) hall of shame.

Casillas is the Given of La Liga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Liverpool have the highest UEFA co - efficient of any team involved in European competition since 2004.

congrats.....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I would nearly stick Sniejder on the list up to the point where he got bored and gave up.
    Sneijder was ok. Took the lazy option to shoot wildly from range too often, but I suppose you could forgive him - would you have passed to Gago and co?

I missed the opening periods of both halves so I guess I missed Liverpool at their best, but I didn't think they were that exceptional. That isn't a dig either imo - it says something when you can stroll past the champions of Spain with such ease.
    I was very impressed with Diarra though. He is obviously not worth 20 million but he would be an asset for virtually any team.
    Rub it in :(

mike65 wrote: »
    Boggles, appologies for includuing you in my (apparently random) hall of shame.

That's alright Mike, I know you didn't mean it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I was over the moon to see him dejected the dirty Madridista. He should move on to a better club in fairness because the side he is in are going nowhere fast.

kryogen wrote: »
    congrats.....

:eek:

// has heart attack ______________________

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Suppose when you are dominated that much the gk stands out. Reina made a couple of decent saves too.

Mascherano for me. I don't think our defence was all that great, Real created a few decent chances but Raul especially was poor.

Mascherano and Alonso to a lesser extent were the ones breaking up Real attacks and setting Liverpool ones up.

Babel wasn't bad. YEP, I know he was marked poorly but he needs a run of games. He showed enough to get a decent run.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I posted this elsewhere,but goddam I wanted to put it here too:)

I fancied Liverpool to get through Real when the draw was made and couldn't see anything but that happening after the away win.

I read alot of talk of a boring game and the likes and to be honest,didn't really disagree as that's what Rafa and 'pool do best in Europe,the minimum but almost always enough.

I'm astonished at what transpired tonight,to see such a free flowing attack minded performance was a joy for any Liverpool fan and lifted the spirits of us all,considering the events of the last few weeks.

Tonight was our club at its best and a real throwback from other times,when Anfield was a ground that even the best in Europe feared visiting,and it's great to be able to consider the scoreline flattering to Madrid imo.

I don't think anyone will argue that tonights game can be classed as a total annihalation of the visitors and it's not often 'pool fans have had the opportunity to say that lately.

I'm not getting carried away,but no real football fan can begrudge the joy of all LFC fans tonight after such a wonderful performance.

We haven't had much to savour as of late,but dammit if I'm not going to sit back and smile about this for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

K-9 wrote: »
    Suppose when you are dominated that much the gk stands out. Reina made a couple of decent saves too.

Mascherano for me. I don't think our defence was all that great, Real created a few decent chances but Raul especially was poor.

ya Mascherano was superb but he let himself down with that yellow card
    He'll be deffiently missed in the next round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Class by Liverpool, had the fight and the temperment to overcome a disappointing Real. Out fought and out played them. Lol at Dossena, nice finish!
    mike65 wrote: »

Very true

Suppose when you are dominated that much the gk stands out.

Yeah I factored that in, he ruined Torres chance when he spun Canavaro. I thought that was a wonderful save.

The save from Masch, was brilliant too, considering he went with his wrong hand for it.

Babel did okay, but in fairness he had the whole side of the pitch to himself, he will never get that again in a game of even semi competitive football.

Mascherano and Alonso to a lesser extent were the ones breaking up Real attacks and setting Liverpool ones up.

Babel wasn't bad. YEP, I know he was marked poorly but he needs a run of games. He showed enough to get a decent run.

If Babel would only look up when he gets the ball, he keeps the head down all the time. Frustrating to watch sometimes. He does need a run of games but he is hit and miss for me and to be honest I dont think he is good enough and may be moved on in the summer.

He did play pretty well tonight though

rarnes1 wrote: »
    :eek:

// has heart attack ______________________

eh, are you alright?

eh, are you alright?

grand, was just heatburn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Jesus that was awesome!:D From start to finish Liverpool played some quality football. To destroy Madrid like that was a pure joy to watch! Fantastic performance.

Gerrard seemed ecstatic afterwards. Just reading his interview after the match and fair play to him to single out Yossi knowing full well that it was his goal in the 1st leg that allowed this performance
    Gerrard wrote:
    "We got the job done in the first 30 minutes tonight when I thought we were awesome," said Gerrard.

"The second half was about seeing it out and fortunately we were able to score a couple more goals.

"We're all really pleased. It was important to win and book our place in the last eight. It was a fantastic team performance tonight.

"We have to give a special mention to Yossi Benayoun tonight. He was fantastic in the first leg and was unfortunate to be injured for this game."

• Advertisement

grand, was just heatburn

good to know :)

I'm astonished at what transpired tonight,to see such a free flowing attack minded performance was a joy for any Liverpool fan and lifted the spirits of us all,considering the events of the last few weeks.

I've seen us threaten to do this in many home European games. In fairness, the Torres goal could easily have been disallowed and the peno was a joke. If we hadn't got those 2, it would have been a different match.
    Tonight was our club at its best and a real throwback from other times,when Anfield was a ground that even the best in Europe feared visiting,and it's great to be able to consider the scoreline flattering to Madrid imo.

A throwback? Anfield is one of the most feared grounds in Europe, if not THE most. It's why most fans would hate to see it go.

Headshot wrote: »
    ya Mascherano was superb but he let himself down with that yellow card
    He'll be deffiently missed in the next round

Given the refs 1st half performance, maybe he made a mistake. Don't think so though. He's one of those players who plays on the edge.
    Yeah I factored that in, he ruined Torres chance when he spun Canavaro. I thought that was a wonderful save.

The save from Masch, was brilliant too, considering he went with his wrong hand for it.

Babel did okay, but in fairness he had the whole side of the pitch to himself, he will never get that again in a game of even semi competitive football.

True, especially in the Premiership.
    If Babel would only look up when he gets the ball, he keeps the head down all the time. Frustrating to watch sometimes. He does need a run of games but he is hit and miss for me and to be honest I dont think he is good enough and may be moved on in the summer.

He did play pretty well tonight though

But he'll only learn that from playing top class full backs. Most fans say he has potential, he's never going to fulfil it on the bench.

I think the Keane saga knocked him back.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

In fairness, the Torres goal could easily have been disallowed for no reason at all and the peno was a joke.

it's not liverpools fault they disagreed with the 1st but 3-0 or 4-0 is very little in the difference but if tthe penalty wasn't given but one of the other of many chances was taken it's going to be the same outcome.

To say mush bad about that performance says bad about you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

A throwback? Anfield is one of the most feared grounds in Europe, if not THE most.

I believe this to be a gross exaggeration but I'm happy to go with it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I've seen us threaten to do this in many home European games. In fairness, the Torres goal could easily have been disallowed and the peno was a joke. If we hadn't got those 2, it would have been a different match.

A throwback? Anfield is one of the most feared grounds in Europe, if not THE most. It's why most fans would hate to see it go.

Given the refs 1st half performance, maybe he made a mistake. Don't think so though. He's one of those players who plays on the edge.

True, especially in the Premiership.

But he'll only learn that from playing top class full backs. Most fans say he has potential, he's never going to fulfil it on the bench.

I think the Keane saga knocked him back.

Keane causes global warming as well.

Great performance, I wish it was more forthcoming in league games.

In a wider view, the rest of Europe is really becoming detached from England's top 4. Will this just be a normal cycle and end soon enough or will the financial differences ensure the gap keeps growing instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

It would seem my 3-0 away prediction was some way off tonight :o

Not that I really, genuinely, believed that, but I'm a little disappointed to say the least. It was a result contrary to form and talent, with only Casillas turning up for Real, but congrats to Benitez and the Spanish Liverpool all the same on another big European scalp.

They really ripped Real to ribbons, and were almost unplayable at times. I do hope they play to that level at Old Trafford this weekend, though I expect a lot more caution.

The scoreline will sadly be seen as some sort of vindication that the Premiership is indeed the best league in the world. I wouldn't read too much into it, we all know that the big 4 are starting to dominate in the latter stages of Europe, just don't mention the rest then.

And anyway, Liverpool will probably go on to lose to some minows like Villarreal in the next round (I don't know that result yet btw)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

kinaldo wrote: »
    It was a result contrary to form and talent, with only Casillas turning up for Real, but congrats to Benitez and the Spanish Liverpool all the same on another big European scalp.
    A scalp would indicate that the underdog won. Liverpool are a bigger team in Europe at the minute than Madrid.
    kinaldo wrote: »
    The scoreline will sadly be seen as some sort of vindication that the Premiership is indeed the best league in the world. I wouldn't read too much into it, we all know that the big 4 are starting to dominate in the latter stages of Europe, just don't mention the rest then.
    What a load of nonsense.

The Premiership has a single team in the last 16 of the UEFA cup only because Spurs and Villa threw their chances away intentially. Spain has none and Italy just has one.

Add to that, as the top four is such a monopoly in England, teams outside it get little top level European experience where as teams like AC Milan, Deportivo, Weder Bremen, Valencia and even Udinese have been competing the CL regularly over the last few years so even if they just held their own in this competition is would be a great feat for them, but they do more than that, and do every year.

The Premiership is the best league in Europe now, it can't be denied. It is a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

rafa out.

SlickRic wrote: »
    rafa out.

Haha. Joking aside.

I think it has been echoed on here by a couple of posters, but I do think tonight had a downside for Liverpool, I have no doubt Madrid will now try their best to pry Benitez away, and we know what they are like when they want something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Very good win for Liverpool. Probably the best I've seen them play since they crushed Newcastle at St James' Park. In fact Casillas' display reminded me a lot of Shay's.

It is a bit concerning that they seem to have hit top form with the game against United looming large.

Haha. Joking aside.

I think it has been echoed on here by a couple of posters, but I do think tonight had a downside for Liverpool, I have no doubt Madrid will now try their best to pry Benitez away, and we know what they are like when they want something.

absolutely.

i completely agree that the boardroom needs to be sorted asap, and a contract put on the table that he can't refuse, because Real will come calling. this result does not cover the flaws we have in the league, but by God it shows that under Benitez we have the potential to win the Holy Grail if we can erase those flaws (i.e. winning games in 1st and 2nd gear like utd do).

wonderful performance tonight. i can't remember the last time i enjoyed watching the play from my team that much. i'm always proud of the effort they show, but the skill level they showed just blew me away at times, and at such a high tempo.

let's revel in this for a while. and let's bring the same intensity and skill to Old Trafford and see what happens.

on a side note, Iker is God. i'd happily pay money simply to watch him goalkeep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

KerranJast wrote: »
    Every player getting in the oppositions face isn't tactics. It's your starting point. They should be doing that every week as every top team does.

I honestly think with some people Benitez will never get credit when hes due it. He gets slated when he deserves it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Dub13 wrote: »
    Not in la liga,they are playing very good in that.

not well enough to keep him in a job this time next year ;)

mayordenis wrote: »
    it's not liverpools fault they disagreed with the 1st but 3-0 or 4-0 is very little in the difference but if tthe penalty wasn't given but one of the other of many chances was taken it's going to be the same outcome.

To say mush bad about that performance says bad about you.

LOL. That's your interpretation. We would have won anyway, but if the first goal was disallowed and the penalty not given, who knows?

Anyway, what ifs are dreamers so I'll leave it there.
    I believe this to be a gross exaggeration but I'm happy to go with it:)

LOL. We'll agree to disagree. I'd love to see what team in the last 8 wants to come to Anfield though on a European night.
    noodler wrote: »
    Keane causes global warming as well.

Great performance, I wish it was more forthcoming in league games.

In a wider view, the rest of Europe is really becoming detached from England's top 4. Will this just be a normal cycle and end soon enough or will the financial differences ensure the gap keeps growing instead?

I think so. There doesn't seem to be any young talent coming through with Real, AC, Juve etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

A scalp would indicate that the underdog won. Liverpool are a bigger team in Europe at the minute than Madrid.

Try the past six years brother.

The Premiership is the best league in Europe now, it can't be denied. It is a fact.

Only a mad man would disagree. Top four aside, Villa, Everton, Spurs, Newcastle maybe City on their day are a match for the the next level of sides in Spain and Italy in my opinion.
    Haha. Joking aside.

Absolutely not. Benitez = Negative Bastard. Real Madrid dont take them men on and when they do they give them the sack even when they win la liga, step forward Fabio Capello. Real Madrid fans expect their side to play with flair and panache, attacking football. It would be like Man Utd taking on Jose Mourinho, for all the trophies he was won his style of management is totally out of sync with what Man Utd under Busby and Fergie stand for. He is just not right for Real Madrid. On the other hand Mourinho could slot in nicely at Liverpool if they would like to keep playing football that does not include the above. Even Barca chose against Mourinho in the summer when they had the option to persue him and didnt think he would suit the club.

redout wrote: »
    Benitez = Negative Bastard

real madrid would like to have a word with you about the merits of this statement after tonight.

Absolutely not. Benitez = Negative Bastard. Real Madrid dont take them men on and when they do they give them the sack even when they win la liga, step forward Fabio Capello. Real Madrid fans expect their side to play with flair and panache, attacking football. It would be like Man Utd taking on Jose Mourinho, for all the trophies he was won his style of management is totally out of sync with what Man Utd under Busby and Fergie stand for. He is just not right for Real Madrid. On the other hand Mourinho could slot in nicely at Liverpool if they would like to keep playing football that does not include the above. Even Barca chose against Mourinho in the summer when they had the option to persue him and didnt think he would suit the club.

Madrid have been severely embarrased for at least the past 2 CL Campaigns, tonight would have been a severe eye opener for many fans, they havn't been hockied like that in 20 years.

If Rafa were to be head hunted, chances are he would be in the job no more than 12 months, if he could restore a small bit of pride into Madrid I think the fans might sacrifice the flair and paniche to insure nights like tonight don't happen for another 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

4 european cup quarter finals in 5 years since rafa took charge and the names of juve, inter, real, barcelona, ac all dispatched, who would have predicted that at approx 10pm on the night of march 25, 2004 when for the second year in a row Houllier's liverpool bowed tamely out of the uefa cup this time to a very average marseille team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Madrid also expect to see their team qualify for the champions league quarter finals at least.
    Not nad return in the Champions League for a "Negative Bastard".His Valencia team played lovely football going forward but defended like demons without it.

real madrid would like to have a word with you about the merits of this statement after tonight.

having said this though redout, i agree with a lot of what you're saying.

he's not the kind of manager real madrid generally have the patience for. the case in point, as you mentioned, being fabio capello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Well done alonso tonight. It was amazing to see the difference in liverpool when he was taken off.
    Congrats to jay spearing also-i thought it was him who scored the last goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

It would be like Man Utd taking on Jose Mourinho, for all the trophies he was won his style of management is totally out of sync with what Man Utd under Busby and Fergie stand for.

what a load of old tosh, i didn't see any utd fans complaining when ye won what was it 10 games out of 13 recently 1-0, many with penalties and last minute goals, no then it was "the sign of champions that can play poorly and win"

fans want trophies first and performances second, if trophies come they can forgive the performances, if trophies or more importantly results are not forthcoming you can play all the nice football, but you will be out on your ear

United intent was always to attack and score,it didnt happen this year

the intent is there and always has been there from united

your statement is incorrect

just because we have scored 7 goals less this year then last year doesnt mean the team is negative

rossie1977 wrote: »
    what a load of old tosh, i didn't see any utd fans complaining when ye won what was it 10 games out of 13 recently 1-0, many with penalties and last minute goals, no then it was "the sign of champions that can play poorly and win"

The only game United played poorly in was the 1-0 win against Wigan.

You can win 1-0 and not play poor.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    what a load of old tosh, i didn't see any utd fans complaining when ye won what was it 10 games out of 13 recently 1-0, many with penalties and last minute goals

fans want trophies first and performances second, if trophies come they can forgive the performances, if trophies or more importantly results are not forthcoming you can play all the nice football you like you will be out on your ear

*ahem* we're talking about real madrid though.

i agree that utd fans, i think, would be a lot more patient than real's so your point def stands in terms of them (not the nature of the 1-0s though, because their football's still generally been a joy), just in terms of how they might embrace Mourinho. real are just a different beast altogether. results are the be all and end all for the vast majority, but real fans and hierarchy are loonies.

once again, have a look at capello's last reign with them to see how far 'results only' get you with them.

*ahem* we're talking about real madrid though.

i agree that utd fans, i think, would be a lot more patient than real's so your point def stands in terms of them. real are just a different beast altogether. results are the be all and end all for the vast majority, but real fans and hierarchy are loonies.

once again, have a look at capello's last reign with them to see how far 'results only' get you with them.

From what Robben pulled and a few more of them tonight, I think traditions and honour have to be put on hold for Madrid for at least a season, the team needs a backbone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

just because we have scored 7 goals less this year then last year doesnt mean the team is negative

but us having scored 3 less than Utd, with our top scorer out all year means we're negative :D

thought Lucas did well when he came on tonight.

Kuyt was excellent too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The only game United played poorly in was the 1-0 win against Wigan.

You can win 1-0 and not play poor.

Sunderland? Stoke?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    but us having scored 3 less than Utd, with our top scorer out all year means we're negative :D

More often than not Rafa is negative Alan, the dog on the street knows it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Mr Alan wrote: »

thought Lucas did well when he came on tonight.

Kuyt was excellent too

Lucas played one lovely ball down to Kuyt when he came on.

imo everyone was excellent tonight and it was great to see Spearing get a run out,Jeez he is small

• Advertisement

From what Robben pulled and a few more of them tonight, I think traditions and honour have to be put on hold for Madrid for at least a season, the team needs a backbone.

everyone knows this is probably what needs to happen if they're going to compete in the Champions League again, but as I say, Real are loonies.

they'll still be up there in the Spanish League don't forget.

Advertisement