Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to meet women in Waterford without booze?

• 09-03-2009 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Greets fellow deise boardsies...

right.. heres my question...
    I have just completed my first full week without alcohol in about 10 years (Go Me!!)
    im 30 years old and normally i have no problem picking up women, but have noticed that 80% of the time that i do pick up a girl, its in a bar.. and for the next few weeks im trying to stay out of bars (nothing serious.. just detoxing for some training that im doing) anyway, it started me thinking.. where else in Waterford can you get talking to a nice girl thats not a pub or in work? summer is coming soon and its always nice to have someone to do things with when the weather is great and all that.. but where do ya go? few laps out in tescos? lidl? superquinn? but thats freaky.. ya feel like a durty perv haha.. when im out in a pub or club i have no problem walking up to a girl and start talking.. the way i see it, its 50/50 she can tell you to p1ss off or you might end up together for years (both have happened to me).. you never know till you ask.. and thats all well and good.. but apart from boozers i cant think of anywhere else to find a nice girl.. (any dont say Bingo!! cos i live to close to barrack street and they'll all want to follow me home haha)

anyway.. just a thought.. anyone any suggestions.. im sure their are others in the same boat... i will be back on the sauce in a few weeks anyway, but just while im on the dry id like to know what other options are out there for people who maybe dont drink at all?

cheers folks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Off the top of my head they do speed dating in the tower IIRC. Supermarkets I believe statistically are where most people meet their long term partners, but like ya said its odd just going in there to pick up a lack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

There's Speed Dating in the Tower every so often. I think it's run by a company called Speed Dating Ireland (imaginative, huh?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The Internets :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The Internets :pac:

Pshh! Everyone knows there's no women on the internets. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

tough one hmm. Bingo in mount sion would be dodgy alright. Your only 30 so your a bit young for there anyways.
    Since your only off the drink for a few weeks ya could go to an AA meeting for a few weeks. Then if ya meet someone there ya like you could "fall off the wagon" with her. Then grow old together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

seanybiker wrote: »
    tough one hmm. Bingo in mount sion would be dodgy alright. Your only 30 so your a bit young for there anyways.
    Since your only off the drink for a few weeks ya could go to an AA meeting for a few weeks. Then if ya meet someone there ya like you could "fall off the wagon" with her. Then grow old together.

haha rock on!!!! sounds good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

I'M RIGHT HERE BABY!!!!! But seriously you're actually right there's barely anywhere to meet someone except at pubs/clubs...and saddly all I can think of is Bingo or other kinds of things like martial arts/yoga classes etc (exhausted at this stage I imagine though).

If all else fails friends of friends/ex's can work too...well so I've found.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Surely you could still go to the boozer and not get pissed up.

I think that'd be taking advantage:D

gobo99 wrote: »
    Surely you could still go to the boozer and not get pissed up.

hehe you obviously dont know me very well then? hehehe
    Elle Victorine will back me up there... hehe :D :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Jaysis Mack, you're turning auld now!

I actually can't think of any place in Waterford though - I mean, there's plenty of bits and pieces going on, but they all require alcohol, going out, and so on, which is a bit of a sad reflection of the city. There isn't even a cafe open past 6.

:-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

If all else fails friends of friends/ex's can work too...well so I've found.

Yep friends could help. I met my husband on a blind date that a friend set up. My inlaws have never forgiven her 21 years later. ;)

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Jaysis Mack, you're turning auld now!

I actually can't think of any place in Waterford though - I mean, there's plenty of bits and pieces going on, but they all require alcohol, going out, and so on, which is a bit of a sad reflection of the city. There isn't even a cafe open past 6.

:-/

tellin ya Al and i have told you this before... I dont get Older i just get better!! try to remember that will ya :D

yea its kinda poxy that their are no places to just go and meet people without depending on booze.. im not badmouthing booze.. my no means.. i love booze TBH.. but if you dont drink here, are you options really that limited?
    deisemum wrote: »
    Yep friends could help. I met my husband on a blind date that a friend set up. My inlaws have never forgiven her 21 years later. ;)

haha nicely done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I would say aside from pub and friends of friends: work and internet dating/discussion would be the only obvious ones. I mean if you have interests, pursue them; like if you're into music go to gigs, go on to local discussion forums, if you're into books/films, find a club, etc. Widen your circle with people you have stuff in common with. Meeting new people sober earlier in the day is very different to bumping into people after a few jars in Harveys, but it has to be done. ;)

I don't know what single Waterford girls do after their early 20's because an awful lot of them don't go out anymore. Usually desperation at having left their social circles shrink and hanging around with too many couples with drive them onto the internet sooner or later. People in general seem to settle down quite early in Waterford/Ireland imho, and don't really do anything after 30.

I think Waterford is very bad for meeting girls outside of the pub. For one thing, I think most of the natives have no hobbies or outlets whatsoever apart from maybe going out for a few quiet ones in the local with their mates, or hanging around Harveys on a friday or saturday. That doesn't help. Luckily I'm out of the game at the moment. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Get active, join a club, go to the gym, run/jog, etc. You can get fit while you're at it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

shapez wrote: »
    Get active, join a club, go to the gym, run/jog, etc. You can get fit while you're at it. :D

Agreed. Go to the gym and whatever else happens, you'll feel like a king, which does no harm at all. :) There are definitely single girls at gyms in Waterford that have their eyes open. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

join a club, is the only other solution I can think of...

Have you got any sisters or friends with sisters as they could be a good contact for the ladies.

My brother has 8 sisters and when we were younger there was always a steady stream of females calling to our house to visit the various sisters. :cool:

My brother has 8 sisters and when we were younger there was always a steady stream of females calling to our house to visit the various sisters. :cool:
    the lucky bugger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

The Docks ?

arf arf !

• Advertisement

Junior wrote: »
    The Docks ?

arf arf !

Good thinking. ;)

Heathen wrote: »
    hehe you obviously dont know me very well then? hehehe
    Elle Victorine will back me up there... hehe :D :eek:

*backs up statement*

He's of that sorry lot...but it's hard enough sometimes...I gave up booze for two years and I swear people actually got more boring for a while until I readjusted to the social change. Sad to look at it that was but it really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭recharge

Have you got any sisters or friends with sisters as they could be a good contact for the ladies.

My brother has 8 sisters and when we were younger there was always a steady stream of females calling to our house to visit the various sisters.
    :cool:

Your brother has 8 sisters.

Dont that mean that you have 8 sisters aswell??

Did i forget to take my tablets today or are the a country vibe in your family?!?!?!?

recharge wrote: »
    Your brother has 8 sisters.

Dont that mean that you have 8 sisters aswell??

Did i forget to take my tablets today or are the a country vibe in your family?!?!?!?

My brother has 8 sisters, I'm one of them so I've got 7 sisters, right recipe for bitchfest :(. I'm 44 the youngest is 24 and big families were the norm back in the 60's and 70's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭recharge

ok thanks for clearing that up!! It was easy to get it wrong!!

Your poor brother!! i say he hats women

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

have to say i agree wholeheartedly with this thread!!

where do you go??

pulling randomers is all well and good if and when it happens, but even if you do pull on a night out you've gone for looks 9 outta 10 times and clicking with randomers is rare enough especially when personality isnt always your main requirement!!

i would say your place of work is a good neutral place to meet people, i know that dosent apply to all workplaces!! if you can avoid that sexual harrasment suit then you've always a chance lol!!

this thread has inspired me to make another along the same lines!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Sign up to the Beat 102 103 latest craze - "Two Strangers and a Wedding" and they will find you a misses with no alcohol involved :D, they have experts who will find you a match. One of the catches is, the two of you have to marry at the end of it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jason2501

on the beach walking

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jason2501

or try dignity!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kkgirl

hi guys, i'm 25 and living in waterford, and have same complaint as the fellas! there's nowhere to meet people in this city unless you're goin drinking, and even then people don't really seem to mingle until the wee hours of the morning...my advice is don't be shy about chatting to people wherever ya happen to be, gym, tesco, etc

ps i checked out the internet dating scene and there's not much to be said about it!

Advertisement