Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharpening Lawnmower

Options
  • 09-03-2009 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

I have a 4hp petrol mower that's given me great service the last few years. I was thinking of trying to sharpen the blade (which rotates) myself. Has anyone done this successfully ? I'm hoping to save €50 which is what my local guy charges.
    I was going to buy a simple bench grinder in aldi or somewhere and use it to touch up the blades. Is this the right approach?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A bench grinder will make a real mess of the cylinder very quickly, even assuming you could manage to hold it in the right position to get the right angle. You can get a special device to do this easily ...

http://www.multi-sharp.com/index.php?cPath=6_11&option=com_oscommerce&osMod=index

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

My mower is a rotary one so it doesn't have those cylinders, just one blade that rotates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Reyman wrote: »
    I have a 4hp petrol mower that's given me great service the last few years. I was thinking of trying to sharpen the blade which rotates myself.

Spend the €50 on getting it done professionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭jordo76

you could also try removeing the blade and using a grinder, there's also a tool on the that website mentioned above that can be just placed into a drill and can be used with the blade in place, i would recomend forking the few pound out and get it as you can reuse it and wont cost you 50 notes to get it done every time its due to be done

let us know what you decide to do and how you get on :)

http://www.multi-sharp.com/index.php?products_id=12&option=com_oscommerce&osMod=product_info

dh0661 wrote: »
    Spend the €50 on getting it done professionally.

Thanks dh but 'professionally' doesn't exist in Ireland. I like to do things myself - then I know it's done properly

• Advertisement

jordo76 wrote: »
    you could also try removeing the blade and using a grinder, there's also a tool on the that website mentioned above that can be just placed into a drill and can be used with the blade in place, i would recomend forking the few pound out and get it as you can reuse it and wont cost you 50 notes to get it done every time its due to be done

let us know what you decide to do and how you get on :)

http://www.multi-sharp.com/index.php?products_id=12&option=com_oscommerce&osMod=product_info

Thanks Jordo that's just what I was looking for. I'll give some feedback when I use it! (Profit: €41)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sorry, I assumed from the original post that it was a cylinder mower we were talking about.

If it's a simple rotary blade then I've always found a simple file is more than adequate for the job, no fancy tools required in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Dont try and sharpen it with a grinder while still mounted on the machine.

Extreme fire risk with petrol and sparks.

Dont want ya losing your eye browes now.:D

Good point GSX! Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 misterm

I sharpened my lawnmowe blade at the end of last year.
    I tilted it on its side and used a dremmel type tool on the blade underneath.
    Took a while to do, about half hour and the dremmel grinding stone got really worn.

Works fine since and cutting the grass well.

In the past I've used files (standard metal files) to sharpen these blades, but the dremmel takes less time and gives a good finish

• Advertisement
Advertisement