Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband unavailable in Ranelagh

• 09-03-2009 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭

After a two week wait, NTL finally told us that they cant provide our house in Ranelagh with Broadband, although they can provide their tv packages. This has me really confused, as I thought NTL was in Ranelagh. What reasons are their for NTL being unable to provide broadband, and am I going to have the same issues with others, Eircom etc?

There has never been a fixed line in the house, so I presume I have to get one installed, and then try and get setup. Am I likely to run into similar issues with other providers. Need a relatively fast and stable connection for gaming, so a plug in provider, would not really suitable.

Any thoughts, bearing in mind I am obviously not very tech-savy

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

smart, they have online line checker.

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

dunkamania wrote: »
    After a two week wait, NTL finally told us that they cant provide our house in Ranelagh with Broadband, although they can provide their tv packages. This has me really confused, as I thought NTL was in Ranelagh. What reasons are their for NTL being unable to provide broadband, and am I going to have the same issues with others, Eircom etc?

There has never been a fixed line in the house, so I presume I have to get one installed, and then try and get setup. Am I likely to run into similar issues with other providers. Need a relatively fast and stable connection for gaming, so a plug in provider, would not really suitable.

Any thoughts, bearing in mind I am obviously not very tech-savy

Thanks

I recently got BT installed in Ranelagh, had to pay €120-ish for the phone line install. Paying about €60 for a good phone package (i get free landline calls to UK) and the top broadband package.

The top BB package is 24mb but only 7.6 is supposedly available in Ranelagh, I regularly test at around 10mb though. Even had one at 26mb?!! :confused:

I use the Wii online, while downloading movies and sheeeeeat and the connection is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Irish Broadband Breeze 3mbps is available in Ranelagh, they've a mast on top of Chartbusters or you could use the one from The Burlington as I do. Eircom is also available. Go go Ranelagh! :D

As I posted in another thread this afternoon when I first had the fixed line installed it wouldn't pass the test for two months so I had it disconnected and it only passed when I had it reconnected a year later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

NTL's network is sh** in much of Dublin 6 as a whole. There are no residential LLU operators in the Rathmines exchange either, which serves most of Ranelagh. So bye bye to Smart and BT's 24 mbit stuff if you're connected to that exchange.

Wireless seems to be your friend in that area.

Btw I thought eircom had a promotion going on where a new line install was free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

. There are no residential LLU operators in the Rathmines exchange either, which serves most of Ranelagh. So bye bye to Smart and BT's 24 mbit stuff if you're connected to that exchange.

Does that mean forever, or just at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

NTL's network is sh** in much of Dublin 6 as a whole

works pretty damn well just around the corner in Milltown for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭obsydion

Yep, same amount of time for UPC to get back to me saying Digital TV was available but not for broadband....

We don't have a phoneline connected as of yet so can someone tell me if Smart is available in Ranelagh? Otherwise, what are my other options? I'm happy with a 3Mbit for surfing and the odd torrent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

My sister's in the same boat in Ranelagh too... Not a broadband-friendly area at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭meepins

Can anyone elaborate on why NTL can provide a digital TV service but not a broadband service to the same house?
    The NTL box has a connection on the back of it so I assumed they would both run on the same line.
    I'm in Cabra and supposedly broadband is available in most parts except my road.. odd.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

meepins wrote: »
    Can anyone elaborate on why NTL can provide a digital TV service but not a broadband service to the same house?
    The NTL box has a connection on the back of it so I assumed they would both run on the same line.
    I'm in Cabra and supposedly broadband is available in most parts except my road.. odd.

I was told NTL couldn't get "Planning Permission" to lay new wires which are capable of transfering broadband in Rathmines, maybe its the safe for Renalagh?

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

yoyo wrote: »
    I was told NTL couldn't get "Planning Permission" to lay new wires which are capable of transfering broadband in Rathmines, maybe its the safe for Renalagh?

Nick
    LOL Load of crap someone was telling you Nick.
    Over the next couple of month all of Rathmines, Ranelagh, Rathgar and the adjoining areas are to be rebuilt.

DingDong wrote: »
    LOL Load of crap someone was telling you Nick.
    Over the next couple of month all of Rathmines, Ranelagh, Rathgar and the adjoining areas are to be rebuilt.
    that's what they told my sister "a couple of months" ago... I'll believe when I see it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

Folks just to add a question to this thread. Is there any way of finding out when/if NTL are going to upgrade an area.

I am in the same boat as the others here, I can get their Digital TV package but no broadband.

Is anyone in the "know" about roll out of NTL BB?

I am in the Jobstown area of Tallaght. Estates around me have BB from them. In fact when the installer came to put in the digital box he said he was surprised we did not have broadband.

paddyk wrote: »
    Folks just to add a question to this thread. Is there any way of finding out when/if NTL are going to upgrade an area.

I am in the same boat as the others here, I can get their Digital TV package but no broadband.

Is anyone in the "know" about roll out of NTL BB?

I am in the Jobstown area of Tallaght. Estates around me have BB from them. In fact when the installer came to put in the digital box he said he was surprised we did not have broadband.
    Doesn't look likely for this year Paddy, it probably will be done next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

Thanks for the reply DingDong. I have signed up with Smart for the higher upload, just waiting for them to do their thing. I'll have to settle for that till next year:D

that's what they told my sister "a couple of months" ago... I'll believe when I see it!
    I'm pleased to say that I'm seeing NTL at work now in parts of rathmines, making crap of foothpaths and the like. Parts of Milltown and of Harold's X are the only places I've seen with the upgraded cabling in Dublin 6 as it stands. It looks indeed like NTL broadband will be widely available during the summer in D6.

I'm pleased to say that I'm seeing NTL at work now in parts of rathmines, making crap of foothpaths and the like. Parts of Milltown and of Harold's X are the only places I've seen with the upgraded cabling in Dublin 6 as it stands. It looks indeed like NTL broadband will be widely available during the summer in D6.
    w00t w00t!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Facelessman

Another potential ray of light is that per the Magnet sales people the Rathmines exchange will be unbundled in late May/June which will open up 24mb broadband for €65 including line rental.

I currently have Eircom home professional (7.6mb) due to the lack of options. It works out at a painful €80/mth including line rental at the moment.

Anybody know if Smart will move into Ranelagh soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

There are no residential LLU operators in the Rathmines exchange either, which serves most of Ranelagh. So bye bye to Smart and BT's 24 mbit stuff if you're connected to that exchange.

I'm confused. I've just moved into a place in Ranelagh which has rubbish BT. I just tried the linechecker on smart and apparently, their service isn't available. Is BT not a LLU operator just like Smart?

spectre wrote: »
    I'm confused. I've just moved into a place in Ranelagh which has rubbish BT. I just tried the linechecker on smart and apparently, their service isn't available. Is BT not a LLU operator just like Smart?
    Good question. Had an argument with a co-worker this moring about this.

If BT have unbundled some Exchanges recently, does this mean the BT customers on these Exchanges are now on a BT-owned network (like Smart and Magnet)? Or are they still on the Eircom network?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 kjansch

Hi

Im about to move into ranelagh myself .and am considering new internet packages..
    Im wondering what people think is the best available currently,
    Id ideally prefer not to bother with eircom and their line rental charges..
    so that leaves me with the likes of Irish Broadbands Breeze Fixed wireless option ..
    Anyone have opinions on how this package perfroms ?I remember reading comments about downtime with Irsh Broadband a few years ago..anybody have these issues?anything else to say about it ,other issues ,concerns ?
    Issues with torrent files etc ?
    What is the general consensus for the best ,most reliable service ,for the home user ,currently available ?

BT are only LLU on a few exchanges "nationwide" (some in the cities). Rathmines is not one of them, not for residential broadband anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭obsydion

I live next to the park behind Superquin. I've been pulling my hair out trying to decide who to go with since NTL/Smart aren't available. I wouldn't use the landline so my options are mobile broadband or one of the wireless packages offered by Irish BB or Digiweb. With all this hesitation maybe NTL will be available by the time I make a decision? Does anyone have any realistic info on the matter or is it just heresay?

I don't know about Ranelagh/Charlemont, but they are making inroads into Dublin 6 as a whole... There's a couple of NTL staff who float about on boards. If anyone reads this, an update would be great!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

I think it's safe to say that whoever (UPC, Magnet, Smart or even god help us BT!) gets their act together 1st, will pick up a lot of business in the Ranelagh area. I wonder who's winning the race at the moment, I believe it might be Magnet.

D6 should be completely rebuilt by the end of October. A number of areas in D6 will be completed before this date (starting from June), so you can take October as worse case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

obsydion wrote: »
    I live next to the park behind Superquin. I've been pulling my hair out trying to decide who to go with since NTL/Smart aren't available. I wouldn't use the landline so my options are mobile broadband or one of the wireless packages offered by Irish BB or Digiweb. With all this hesitation maybe NTL will be available by the time I make a decision? Does anyone have any realistic info on the matter or is it just heresay?

I've had to deal with Ripwave for the time being as I can't get IBB Breeze or Digiweb Metro due to trees and the luas bridge in the way! You could get them to come out but I wouldn't bank on having a signal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Facelessman

ding dong....where are you getting your info? do you mean NTL, Smart & Magnet? that would be great if it happens!

ding dong....where are you getting your info? do you mean NTL, Smart & Magnet? that would be great if it happens!
    I work for UPC/NTL

• Advertisement

DingDong wrote: »
    D6 should be completely rebuilt by the end of October. A number of areas in D6 will be completed before this date (starting from June), so you can take October as worse case
    Thanks for that! Will there be any meaningful upgrades done to the national UPC network after this?? I can't think of any other areas that don't have their cable network renovated. (Save for the odd housing estate)

Advertisement