Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband unavailable in Ranelagh

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Sadly, this didn't happen....:(
    Without knowing exactly were you live, they have released most of Northbrook Avenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭obsydion

DingDong wrote: »
    Without knowing exactly were you live, they have released most of Northbrook Avenue.

Yay! I live on Northbrook. Where do I find this list? NTL website?

Its not on any website. You will need to give them a call. As long as your not in the apartments on Northbrook avenue or a small section of houses you should be fine. These should be released at a later date.

DingDong wrote: »
    Its not on any website. You will need to give them a call. As long as your not in the apartments on Northbrook avenue or a small section of houses you should be fine. These should be released at a later date.

I'm not in the apartments but I'm in a small row of houses leading up to Ranelagh gardens (behind Superquin) :(

I might give them a call after the New Year and see if there is any progress. As usual it's a bit of a gamble as to who you get on the phone and how helpful/clued-up they are about anything.

UPC have been digging up plenty of pavement in the vicinity of my house though so fingers crossed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

They told me on the phone that Broadband was now available to me, I live on the main Ranelagh Road just before Sandford Road. Said it had been available since October

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Hi DingDong, Do you have any idea when upc broadband will be available in Sandymount? thanks :)

Its a work in progress. Hopefull to have a good section of it completed and released before the end of the year.
    Trevor451 wrote: »
    Hi DingDong, Do you have any idea when upc broadband will be available in Sandymount? thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

DD - many thanks for your guidance on this.

Unfortunately, I called UPC about Northbrook Avenue earlier and broadband is still not connected and still no date for it. The workmen were digging up roads here all day yesterday, but it appears still no joy. I am starting to think that what I was told several months ago is correct - that it will be Spring. Which is a massively annoying (and somwhat baffling) considering all the work they've done in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Woooooooo-hoooooo! BB now confirmed as available on Northbrook Avenue and environs. I have UPC around to install it next week. Very very happy!

The one odd thing that has me non-plussed is that as recently as Tuesday of this week I was told by UPC CS that BB was not available and that there was not yet a release date. Very odd, since in my recent dealings with UPC I have found them 1 million times better than both the old NTL (who were a disaster) and also other utilities like Eircom and BT (both of whom are lol bad).

Anyway, thanks to Ding Dong for his/her advice on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

That's good news about ranelagh. Hey DD, do you know if the castlewood area of Rathmines at the swan centre is far behind now? UPC put the new cables on the outside of my house months ago, still waiting for them to say that's it's available now.

• Advertisement

stoksyXL wrote: »
    That's good news about ranelagh. Hey DD, do you know if the castlewood area of Rathmines at the swan centre is far behind now? UPC put the new cables on the outside of my house months ago, still waiting for them to say that's it's available now.
    Can't say I know off hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

While waiting for that service to be ready, ..... I got a mobile broadband unit from 3Mobile. No contract (I think 3 are the only provider who don't require a contract). The unit itself costs €80 and is costing me about €30 per month to "top up".
    Fwiw, I'm not connected to 3 at all, despite sounding like a schill for them.
    thanks I've followed your advice for the last few months about 3 mobile broadband,
    and now I see when I go to www.UPC.ie
    then click on the sub heading "Television"
    on the left hand side click on "Digital +"
    then on the right hand side, under "What services are available at my address?"
    populating the fields for Ranelagh
    it shows that everything is now available in Ranelagh but "Digital+ HD" is available :-)
    So I shall be ordering it this week;)

Ok so I finally got round to ordering the Digital Value+ and 15Mbit Broadband package from UPC. I requested a ring-back because the online form did not allow me to proceed if I didn't want direct debit, which I didn't. My call was returned quite promptly and I arranged installation on Monday morning, which meant the usual "Between 9am and 1pm" game. I was also contacted on my mobile no less than 3 times to confirm my appointment and confirm my address!

Come Monday however, I waited till 1pm with a no-show from the engineer. I had to ring up to ask where the hell he was, they put me through to his mobile and he said he was an hour away...wasn't he meant to ring me if he was an hour away anyway? Well after 1.5 hours I rang him again...he said 5-10 minutes.

15 minutes later he arrives and installs the TV in no time because there was an existing box from the last account. The BROADBAND however, was giving problems. He tried several routers and modems, had extended conversation on his mobile in what sounded like Polish or Russian. After trying for 15 minutes or so, he just said to me that he, 'Couldn't pick up a frequency' and that a fault has been logged. UPC would contact me in time to arrange for ANOTHER callout. He told me that someone down the street had their broadband installed with no problems. I was made to sign on the dotted line and he promptly left.

No contact from UPC yet and I have a feeling I will have to be the one to 'enquire' with them as to whether anyone would be sent to take care of it. I just hope they don't start charging me for broadband that isn't even working!!!

I have a sinking feeling that UPC may have announced broadband availability to Ranelagh prematurely... :mad:

Well well. After fixing what they said was a 'network frequency lost' problem. I finally got my router and it has worked great...until now. I'm experiencing an incredibly intermittent connection. 70% of the time pages just time out. Great. What the f**k is wrong now??

A quick check of Speedtest.net shows nothing wrong with the speed of the connection by several ping tests show this:

10507458.png

Should I be calling NTL or should I do what I think they will tell me to do i.e. reset the router??

Advertisement