Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to have bb and fax on the one phone line?

Options
  • 09-03-2009 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Can broadband and a fax co-exits on the one phone line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Yup, the two use different frequencies, in fact you have to have an analogue line for BB so that can be used for the Fax too.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Just make sure you use a line filter too just like you would on any phone line with BB on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Cheers, but am i right in thinking that you could only use bb + (fax or phone) at the same time? Would the only way to have all 3 active at once be to have an ip phone like skype? If that works is there any company that have a good QOS ip phone service that allow you to port your existing phone number?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Some ISPs have VOIP good enough for Fax even on Wireless Broadband.

You can only ensure good QOS on VOIP using your own ISP and LLU (copper phone wires, Smart mainly), coax (UPC, you don't need to sign up for TV), fibre (Smart & Magnet mainly), or Metro Wireless (Digiweb).

Otherwise it's BlueFace and pot luck as to quality of data.

The ISP built in solutions only run on their own network and use VLANs with QOS management etc.

I have two phone numbers, Fax and Phone simultaneously with download/upload for 5 people and no copper phone line. Digiweb Metro at nearly 13km in Limerick. One was ported from eircom before I ditched line.

Only non-VOIP routes to have Fax & Phone simultaneously are
    Two analogue lines
    ISDN.
    In Germany you can have a single copper pair, 12 numbers, 2 simultaneous calls (any mix voice, analogue Modem, ISDN data, Analogue Fax or Digital Fax) AND DSL broadband on the same pair of wires.

LLU should allow "innovative services like that. But basically the only thing LLU suppliers try here is more speed (only a minority due to poor lines) or VOD/IPTV (even less people as you need very high speeds, and it's poor compared to Cable/Satellite with hardly any VOD content).

Basically in Ireland LLU is now a failure and 10 years too late. People just want faster, lower contention, lower latency and higher cap Broadband.

Here they downgrade your 1980s ISDN to 1890s analogue if you get DSL. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

hmmm.....that sucks mightly alright. I'm looking into it for a mate who lives in the sticks and has 2 phone lines for his buisness, one for voice\diall up internet and the other for fax. He has been trying to get bb for ages that is in his area but cant because both lines are splits so I was thinking that if he could get eircon to combine the 2 into 1 he could get bb. As long as fax will work on the same line as bb it might be ok but could he have a seperate fax no and phone no on the same line? He doenst want to have to go changing his numbers as that would confuse all his suppliers and customers. Though if ye have to be downgrade to analogue to get DSL i'm thinking thats a no :(

• Advertisement

A split line could be 8 or 16 lines on one copper pair... He can try though.

If he is running a business he needs to the two numbers so the only reliable solution on phone line is 1 line (phone or fax) + broadband and the other line (fax or phone).

There is no very reliable VOIP on DSL broadband. If it was for home rather than buiness, you could transfer one eircom number to Blueface and use VOIP on the BB (with a real phone, cordless or not, via an ATA or DSL modem/router with built in ATA, i.e. Fritz, Zyxel, Dlink have some) and fax direct on the line.

Then you could have BB, phone, fax simultaneously with existing numbers on one line. But only on unsplit line.

Fax will work on Metro (usually) Wireless, but not usually on 3rd party DSL VOIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There are virtual fax services e.g. www.j2.com that provide a fax to email gateway. So you could receive (and send) faxes over the broadband. Not sure if you can port a number to these though.

You'd want one that supports images and a scanner so you can "fax out" real documents.

These have existed since 300 Baud X.25 dialup days for outgoing text to fax (incoming got posted to you!).

Advertisement