Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing raised hearth to flush-with-floor?

Options
  • 09-03-2009 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all -
    living in late-80's semi-d with hideous fireplace with solid fuel fire. Planning to keep the open fire, change the fireplace/-surround and hearth, but the room is small, narrow and the raised hearth (approx 3" up?) takes from floor space. I realise I need minimum depth of non-combustible material in front of the fire (eg tile) but can my raised hearth be changed to flush with floor and if so, how difficult/pricey?
    The original floor is poured cement, with carpeting on at the moment - this is going to be changed to wooden semi-solid.
    Cheers,
    Bailey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

bailey13 wrote: »
    Hi all -
    living in late-80's semi-d with hideous fireplace with solid fuel fire. Planning to keep the open fire, change the fireplace/-surround and hearth, but the room is small, narrow and the raised hearth (approx 3" up?) takes from floor space. I realise I need minimum depth of non-combustible material in front of the fire (eg tile) but can my raised hearth be changed to flush with floor and if so, how difficult/pricey?
    The original floor is poured cement, with carpeting on at the moment - this is going to be changed to wooden semi-solid.
    Cheers,
    Bailey

the hearth is sitting, more than likely, on the concrete floor so once u stick a jemmy bar under it it will pop up easily as it will have been bedded/leveled on on a few dabs of weak mortar.

you may have to chisel out a bit from the concrete to accommodate the tiles versus the carpet but its not a big job.

have u considered a stove rather than keep the open/inefficient fire

Advertisement