Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

domain email Vs domain@freemailprovider.com

Options
  • 09-03-2009 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi All

Another newbie question so apologies in advance if this is bread & butter for some of you guys

Just wondering how much you value a email with the same domain as your account Vs some free mail provider with your name stuck at the start

i.e info@mywebsite.com
    as oppossed to
    mywebsite@freemail.com where free mail is ur bog standard free webmail providers

the reason I'm asking is I'm setting the site up for a relation and when I'm finished I want to make the renewals as straightforward as possible as they are not very techie

the hosting plan i went with didnt include email addresses so i'm wondering if theres any point subscribing him to a mail address as well or just setting up a freebie account somewhere

does anybody pay any heed to the mail address in terms of professional perception?

I'm thinking they would, and would probably trust a @domainname.com mail more than a generic one if it came to sending personal details etc.

The website deals with is holiday/property lettings but there wont be any online booking etc, just info pages

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

domain email !!!

thats my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you have a domain and a host that supports email, use the domain. Can't understand companies or groups who don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

thanks for the quick responses

I'll get it done

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Not much point in wading in, but definitely go for the domain.com emails - it must be a very cheap plan to not include email. For less than the price of a pint a month, you would get a pretty feature rich hosting account in Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just direct the domains catch-all email to the convenient free web mail.

I've not seen a hosting plan that doesn't allow you (for free) to give an email address to forward all mail going to yourdomain.com.

Then you can just hand out info@yourdomain.com or whatever and know it'll be sent to your clients free account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 IrishBusiness

even leaving aside the tech side, having the domain email looks far more professional to the prospective customer. i am always wary of companies who send me email from a freemail address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

even leaving aside the tech side, having the domain email looks far more professional to the prospective customer. i am always wary of companies who send me email from a freemail address

+100 If you rang "Joan" @ Vodafone or "Karen" @ Today FM and asked where to email a support query to, you'd be very surprised if they said "oh, email it to "mobiles@hotmail.com"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭patftrears

I get about 5 a day from Indian companies offering me offshore development services (I run software company) the reason they use @gmail.com etc. is so that their company .company.com can't be blacklisted as spammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

thanks all

I sorted out the domain e-mail account
    I think you are right, even if the difference is small its still a difference

Advertisement