Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wage Cut

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I don't think this is a runner at all in the current context. You could possibly make this argument in the context of the business being healthy and cashflow pressures not existing, but in the current situation, where the situation seems quite dire, it would be difficult to see how a situation that is being forced on not just the OP but also his/her employer, could be construed as an attempt at constructive dismissal.

Well the motives of the employer could be brought into question. He could be trying to wind up and minimize his liability regarding statutory redundancy.

i.e. employee quits, no redundancy
    employee accepts new pay package, redundancy greatly reduced

Although without knowing more of the circumstances, it's hard to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 joelou

I went down on Friday evening to give him his wages. He has not taken any paycut and is still drawing down the petty cash. He said he was going to give me 1 euro more an hour. He thought a lot of me and did not want to loose me etc...
    I do feel sorry for him in one way but surely if business is that bad why is he not taking the paycut that I am taking albeit any cut at all???

joelou wrote: »
    I do feel sorry for him in one way but surely if business is that bad why is he not taking the paycut that I am taking albeit any cut at all???

Because you're letting him treat you like dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

8grand as 10% cut, so your on 72k now, that's not too bad at all, better off than most people. I took a 50% pay cut, finding it hard but at least i have a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

He will not make me redundant, he said there is a job here for me but it is to work for the lesser money. Again he is not allowed to do this I know. I got the complaint forms from Nera yesterday and I am posting them this evening. He has not taken any paycut himself as I collected his wages today from the bank. Also as long as I have worked for him he has never had any petty cash on the premises. He has always drawn down 150euro a week in petty cash and pockets it himself. And today he still drew down the same.
    I asked him for the chq book yesterday so as I could update the bank ledger. He had written two cheques totaling over 1500 euro for landscaping for his own house:eek:. I am so angry today but he is not here to vent at. He always has put every personal expense he had through the business from his personal esb to clothes to medical insurance but I think he is really taking the piss now.
    I feel so worthless and exhausted from all the worring I have been doing since he proposed this cut initally and I dont know what more I can do.:(

Do not do anything,
    Get legal advice. If it comes to it get someone else to fight your case for you.
    He cant just cut your wages without your consent. Do not give it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    8grand as 10% cut, so your on 72k now, that's not too bad at all, better off than most people. I took a 50% pay cut, finding it hard but at least i have a job

No, 8 grand as a 28.5% paycut. If you read the thread the figures are mentioned a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

" He always has put every personal expense he had through the business from his personal esb to clothes to medical insurance but I think he is really taking the piss now."
    Isn't this illegal ?
    Contact the revenue fraud line at some point.
    This sort of stuff is part of the reason the country is f****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hayabusa1300

hi joelou
    just been reading your story, how have you got on? im getting into that situation at work right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 joelou

I'm afraid nothing more has changed. The pay cut was implemented. I felt I had no other option to comply what with the current job market being as it is and he knew that also. I am down nearly 90euro a week, its a disaster. I am still working the same hours and holidays that I was made to carry over from last year if I am ever let take them will be paid at the lesser wage:mad:
    He knows he has me by the preverbials! He still continues to give himself the same wage, puts all his personal expenses through the business and has upped the weekly petty cash from 150 to 750, all of which he pockets.
    As much as I would love to pick him up on this as at the end of the day I am the employee and he is the boss!
    This country is a joke:(

I'm afraid nothing more has changed. The pay cut was implemented. I felt I had no other option to comply what with the current job market being as it is and he knew that also. I am down nearly 90euro a week, its a disaster. I am still working the same hours and holidays that I was made to carry over from last year if I am ever let take them will be paid at the lesser wage:mad:
    He knows he has me by the preverbials! He still continues to give himself the same wage, puts all his personal expenses through the business and has upped the weekly petty cash from 150 to 750, all of which he pockets.
    As much as I would love to pick him up on this as at the end of the day I am the employee and he is the boss!
    This country is a joke:(

If he's pocketing the petty-cash then he's evading tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yeah, it would be tempting to tip off the Revenue Commissioners for a tax audit but that could just close the place down in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

OP i cant believe you are letting this guy get away with it. All he is doing is bullying you!
    He is forcing you to take a very large pay cut even against your wishes, which he cannot do!
    Obviously he is not in that much financial difficulty if he is happily siphoning money off for himself.
    Do not let this guy walk all over you, it sounds like you are the one that does all the work and he needs you just as much as you need the job!
    Threaten to report him to everyone especially revenue! Thats the only to get through to a bully like him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

Hi OP,

Did you ever post those forms off to Nera?

Advertisement