Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thor 5 1w / Intelsat 10-02 from Dublin

• 09-03-2009 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Just wondering if anyone from Dublin area is able to get Thor3/5 0.8w and or Intelsat 10-02 1w.

If yes, please let us know your dish size. And signal strength and quality.

Also frequency to search for and anything else that might be useful.

====

I have 85cm Motorized Sat Dish (mVision HD200 combo /patched) and is not able to get Thor 3/5 and Intelsat 10-02 1w.

However, i pick up a signal almost in the same degree as Astra 28.2e indicating me that it's Thor 3/5 and gives me good over 80% signal and quality. But when doing network scan, only few (9) channels appear. I believe this is not the real thor as it should be in 0.8w

I have been trying to get Thor 3/5 or Intelsat 10-02 since last 2 weeks so there is nothing i haven't tried perhaps!! except for a bigger dish (1.2m)

====

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭John mac

have you had a look here ? or here

might give you some help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Apogee

An 80cm dish is more than enough for the stronger transponders on Thor/Intelsat. Try this one:

11247, V, 24500, BTV-1 (1.0W)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Mod: Thread moved to Foreign Satellite forum.

It depends on what transponders you're after. Some channels aren't very strong, even with 1.2m. You should still be able to pick up something (BBC World News is strong on 11.325H) on 85cm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Try 12418 V 28000 The Poker Channel is FTA on that one. I get 86% in Dundalk with 110 cm dish which is almost as strong as my best on 28 East 89%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Im picking it up in Galway on a 90 cm.
    Quality on most channels is around 68-70% on a clear day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭satelliteman20

In Dublin i have a triax 1.1m dish with a titanium .2db lnb and i can get intelsat with around 70 percent quality,thor 3 only the vertical polarisation comes in at around 40 percent,and of course thor5 is very strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 asian-monkey

Thank you all for your quick reply..

However, i am still not able to get anything :S

Tried all the frequencies .. drove the motor from west to east and even bought a Compass and a Sat meter..

This is what MVision HD 200 receiver prompts for when we try to edit or add a TP

Satellite: Thor 3/5 (0.8w)
    Frequency:
    Symbol Rate:
    Polarization: Vertical - 13v / Horizontal - 18v
    Modulation: DVB-S QPSK / DVB-S2 8PSK / DVB-S2 QPSK
    Pilots: disabled on DVB-S QPSK / Off / On
    FEC: disabled on DVB-S QPSK, 1/2, 1/3, 2/3 and so on..
    Search: One TP / Network Scan / Free Only / All

The only difficulty is choosing modulation and Pilot as everything else is described in lyngsat website.

Will having Diablo Cam on the receiver make any difference? I honestly don't think so, but still..

Plus, it would be great help to newbies like me who needs visual guides on where and how to point to Thor 5. I successfully pointed to Astra 28.2e in virtually 1 go. And the same with Sirius and other coz' i could see where to point and how high (i just had to look at where everyone else was pointing).

So, if any forum member would like to go extra mile to show us visually how do they do it, it would be great reference for new ppl like me. Searching for hours, weeks and months, still nothing on youtube and or anywhere else on the internet..

Meanwhile, i'll wait for clear sky before i plan to lift everything to the celling.. :D

Thank you all once again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

Hello. By the sound of things your pole is a mile off plumb. If your pole is plumb you you'll get all sats not just 28 and 5east. I had the same problem for months when I set my motor off the wrong sat. If your in Ireland your correct sat for Uscals is east coast 5west and everywhere else 8west. When you setup your Due South sat correctly with the correct long. on your motor and a plumb pole ALL sats will become available.

If your hitting only one or two sats your setup is incorrect. My precorrect setup couldn't drive to anysat west or beyond 28east.

In my opinion, setting up a motor with a compass and meter is no good. Set your box and TV near the dish and use the meter on the box. Then you'll now if your on the correct sat. Remember 10,9,7,5,1w,5w,8w are only afew inches apart.

When you scan take note of the new channels and search them on kingofsat.That'll tell you what sat your really on.Transponders are common between sats so searching what you think is 1west with 28east settings and getting channels doesn't mean your not on 19east.

wow!! .. m' gonna try that ASAP and post back ASAP :D.

There is no official manual on where to point, and so in Receiver Menu i choose Motor type: USALS and satellite Astra 2A/2D and pointed to Astra sat and got good signal. And tighten the screws on the brackets.

I can point to 5 sats: 5e, 13e, 19e, 28e, 7w using the motor.

But m' gonna try your way and see what i get.

5.0w = At Bird 3 ??? which i should try to find first right ? m' near East Coast.

Somehow, i thought all this would be as easy as point and tune kind of motor, like the one they have in Astronomy where everything is auto. Select which Planet you want to view and the Motorized Mount auto directs to the location. This feels so complicated.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

These might help if you havent seen them already. Any transponder info may be out of date. I got an installer to do mine as I knew it would be beyond me so I cant offer any tips from experience.

http://bytelive.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=How+to+install+and+align+a+Diseqc+motor

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054988801

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

Let us know how you get on and any problems please post them and We'll sort you out.

hi again,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAT3vsqE1dA

can anyone please analyze this video..

I was searching for BBC World News Signal on Thor and i got a Good Signal And Quality. Then i tried scanning but got no TV channels nor Radio.

I pointed to South then turn few centimeter to right (west) and that's how i got the Signal and Quality. And i believe this is Thor .. or is it not ?.. Why am i not getting any channel ? :S

How much would it cost me if i have to call someone to align the dish ?
    Where to go ?

Tx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Ok, I have an Mvision Combo 200HD so I recognise the user interface screen.

First off - there is a peculiar high-pitched whine on the video - have you speeded it up?

Secondly, I noticed that at no stage does your quality reading go over 50%. On my Mvision box 50% is pretty much the cut-off point for reception - it needs to be over that! I would suggest that your dish alignment on the satellite is not accurate enough. The signal strength bar is meaningless as it always shows 70%+ even when it's not aligned. On Astra 2 with a 1.1m dish it shows 80%+ only, although the quality is 98/99%:)

Most of the transponders you are searching on are encrypted. Start with a single transponder scan on 11325H / 24500. This will pull in BBC World News which is a strong transponder. Just go into the Motor Setup menu, select Thor, then this transponder then nudge the dish east and west with the remote control and you will see the quality bar move (you need to see more than 60/70%).

A lot of the transponders at this satellite location are aimed at the Nordic countries and you will not receive them with a small dish.

Good luck!

f-t

Advertisement