Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How come the Premier League and FA Cup finishes so late this year?

• 09-03-2009 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

Just looking at the fixture list for the end of the year, it doesn't really make for good reading for teams still with a shout of claiming 2 or 3 trophies.

Sunday 24th May 3pm: Premier League Matchday 38
    Wednesday 27th May 7.45pm: UEFA Champions League Final
    Saturday 30th May 3pm: FA Cup Final

Hardly very fair is it? Both the EPL and FA Cup finishes a full 2 weeks later than it usually does, and now for the first time ever the Champions League final isn't the final match in the club season.

That means the possibility of an entire season coming down to 3 matches in 6 days, with a trip to Rome sandwiched in between. I don't really understand why they had to change it.

And tbh, with all due respect to the FA Cup, it could be a very anti-climactic finish to the season. I mean, how the hell are Fergie, Hiddink or Wenger meant to get their sides ready for an FA Cup final just over 72 hours after competing in a CL final?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

deise59 wrote: »

And tbh, with all due respect to the FA Cup, it could be a very anti-climactic finish to the season. I mean, how the hell are Fergie, Hiddink or Wenger meant to get their sides ready for an FA Cup final just over 72 hours after competing in a CL final?!

What about Rafa ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

redout wrote: »
    What about Rafa ?

Cant see us getting to the FA Cup final tbh.

We got a shocking draw.:)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It's due to the fact that there is no WC or EC on this summer.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Cant see us getting to the FA Cup final tbh.

We got a shocking draw.:)

No FA cup for Pool I know but still the league only finishing a three days before the Champions league final with Pool still fighting it out for at least 2nd to get the automatic spot will be tough going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Cynically, I would say it is because of Skys input. Alot of people cancel their subs for the off season (i know i do), and afaik they do not go pro rata on a month, so if the season lasts an extra week or two, it makes peoples subs last longer.

However, that is just a highly cynical view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

5starpool wrote: »
    It's due to the fact that there is no WC or EC on this summer.

Correct answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Correct answer.

There was no wc or euros in 07 but the cl final was still the last game of the season wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    There was no wc or euros in 07 but the cl final was still the last game of the season wasn't it?
    I dont think they mean that whenever there is no World Cup or Euro Championship, the PL and FA Cup finish later than usual. I think they mean that the desision was made for this season on the basis of there being no WC or EC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I honestly can't remember the last time the FA Cup final was held after the European Cup/Champions League final if its ever happened before.

It does really seem quite silly as there is a probability that the finalists of the Champions League could also be the finalists in this competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

It's a good thing really. Less time beofre next season starts :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

who do united have in the last game of the season? Id not be surprised to see a reserve / CC type team put out with them already champions and looking forward towards atleast 1 cup final in the following week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

FA Cup or CL ain't necessarily on subscription so its unlikely to be Sky imput. IMO its just trying to make the FA Cup more important, since it could be a treble decider. Silly imo, and bad for English teams competing in Europe.

PHB wrote: »
    FA Cup or CL ain't necessarily on subscription so its unlikely to be Sky imput. IMO its just trying to make the FA Cup more important, since it could be a treble decider. Silly imo, and bad for English teams competing in Europe.

United had the FA cup final on the 22nd of May and the Champions league final on the 26th of May in 99 with the premiership going to the last game but that finished a week before the cup final. Not sure if its really more difficult this time around as the league will have most likely have been decided before the last game but on the other hand with Arsenal/Chelsea in the final it would be very difficult to rest any players. But another scenario could be a United vs Arsenal/Chelsea Champions league final also so then both sides are in a tough position.

Advertisement