Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom what muppets ?

Options
  • 09-03-2009 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

My broadband went down on tuesday 3th march no dsl light

restarted modem and reset modem still no dsl light

rang eircom broadband was told eircom engineer will call out and will have it fixed in three working days

eircom engineer rang and said we did not have broadband account with eircom

i then rang eircom thursday 5th and confirmed we have broadband with them and was told it will be monday the 9th before anything is done

so i rang today and i was told by a broadband customer service agent i could not get broadband anymore because iam to far from the exchange i started laughing at him

i was using eircom bb for 2 months 1mb and downloading at 130kbs

i then asked to speak to a supervisor who then told me i would have to cancel my account and they could not supply broadband to me

i hung up i wanted to remain civil (what idiots)

i rang broadband support again and told to reset modem and dsl light came back put my connection speed was only 130kbs connection and download 17kbs

bb support agent told be he will but the speed back to 1mb and it will take half an hour

later on the speed came back and i was happy

then hour later the slow speed came back

rang eircom bb support again and was told someone changed the speed again back to 130kps connection and 17kbs download

he then but the 1mb speed back and now it works

my opinion broadband support have a very mixed bunch of individuals

and the only way is keep ringing them until the problem is sorted and it seems its the luck of the draw who you get

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

That's nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Idiots! Most people in support roles haven't a clue, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

might be worth posting your line stats from your modem and let someone here (i.e. someone who knows what they're talking about) take a look and see how it looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Magzr

Sounds like your phone line is gone a bit wonky. Water or someting maybe or local interference.

Either way, you could be in a spot of bother cuse as long as you can make phone calls, eircom wont want to touch your line.
    It woudl not pay them to spend the time and effort in replacing copper etc just to squeeze a few more pound out of a BB subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

its working know :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Kazu wrote: »
    My broadband went down on tuesday 3th march no dsl light

restarted modem and reset modem still no dsl light

rang eircom broadband was told eircom engineer will call out and will have it fixed in three working days

eircom engineer rang and said we did not have broadband account with eircom

i then rang eircom thursday 5th and confirmed we have broadband with them and was told it will be monday the 9th before anything is done

so i rang today and i was told by a broadband customer service agent i could not get broadband anymore because iam to far from the exchange i started laughing at him

i was using eircom bb for 2 months 1mb and downloading at 130kbs

i then asked to speak to a supervisor who then told me i would have to cancel my account and they could not supply broadband to me

i hung up i wanted to remain civil (what idiots)

i rang broadband support again and told to reset modem and dsl light came back put my connection speed was only 130kbs connection and download 17kbs

bb support agent told be he will but the speed back to 1mb and it will take half an hour

later on the speed came back and i was happy

then hour later the slow speed came back

rang eircom bb support again and was told someone changed the speed again back to 130kps connection and 17kbs download

he then but the 1mb speed back and now it works

my opinion broadband support have a very mixed bunch of individuals

and the only way is keep ringing them until the problem is sorted and it seems its the luck of the draw who you get

What happened here is the initial agent seems to only have completed some of the troubleshooting for no sync (flashing or off DSL light). The last step before escalating the case to an engineer is to lower the speed to 160kbps, powercycle the modem and see if the customer can sync up that way, if not the agent is supposed to raise the speed back up to what it was previously but a lot of the time this is forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

its working know :D:D

it could be anything. back in the good old days of dialup, i heard of a story of a guy who's connection used to go to crap seemingly randomly.

the tech support guys long given up on him when he eventually contacted them some time later after several lengthy troubleshooting sessions on the phone with him to say that it had been traced to a farm next to his house.

he'd noticed that his internet always went pear shaped when there were cows in the field next to his house and realised that when the cows were there the farmer was turning on the electric fence to keep them in.

turned out that the fence was earthed right next to where the phone line ran and was killing the connection.

it's kind of a pointless story, but i just wanted to point out that there really could be anything going on with it and if it does happen again it's good to have something to compare it to if things go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

They had to call out a total of 9 times to fix our broadband. Anytime there was any sort of wind, the broadband sync would constantly drop.

I knew it was the cable between the house and the pole outside. They insisted it was faulty wiring on the inside of the house. We eventually relented and spent a lot of money getting the internal wiring in the house redone.

It didn't fix the problem. Eircom came out for trip #9, said "sure we'll change the cable between the house and the pole BUT IT WONT HELP"

they did that, perfect broadband since :pac:

vibe666
    it could be anything. back in the good old days of dialup,

there where no good days with dialup :D:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Can you post your stats as requested earlier?

• Advertisement

DSL Statistics

DSL Statistics

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 992 128
    SN Margin (dB) 7.50 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 63.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 22151 57

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ATM Statistics

ATM Statistics

VPI / VCI 8/35
    Protocol PPP over Ethernet LLC/SNAP

In Octets 4016394
    In Errors 0
    In Unicast Packets 7704
    In Non Unicast Packets 0
    In Discard Packets 0

Out Octets 987935
    Out Errors 0
    Out Unicast Packets 7200
    Out Non Unicast Packets 0
    Out Discard Packets 0

In = Downstream
    Out = Upstream

PPPoE
    Session Status: Up
    Server MAC Address: 00-90-1a-9f-fc-01
    Session ID: 4147
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////

IP Statistics

IP Statistics

General
    IP WAN Address: 86.40.122.130
    IP Gateway: 159.134.155.12
    Primary DNS: 213.94.190.194
    Primary DNS Name: dns1.cwm.dublin.eircom.net
    Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.236
    Secondary DNS Name: dns2.cra.dublin.eircom.net

IP interfaces
    Address Netmask Name
    192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0 Ethernet 100BT
    86.40.122.130 0.0.0.0 WAN vcc1

Network Routing Table
    Destination Netmask Gateway Interface
    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 159.134.155.12 WAN vcc1
    192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.254 Ethernet 100BT

Host Routing Table
    Destination Netmask Gateway Interface
    127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 Loopback
    159.134.155.12 255.255.255.255 159.134.155.12 WAN vcc1
    192.168.1.254 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.254 Ethernet 100BT
    192.168.1.255 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 Ethernet 100BT

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

DSL Statistics

DSL Statistics

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 992 128
    SN Margin (dB) 7.50 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 63.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 22151 57

That line is terrible. You have an attenuation of 63.5 dB out of a max of 63.5 dB. There's also noise, and a low SNR margin. I'm surprised the line passed the tests and they provided a connection.

iam able to play codwaw witha a ping of 90ms

and download files at 110kp

the line cant be that bad

iam 4.5km from my exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Lmao

Original post is just bizzare!!

Advertisement